🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is this painted metal piece?

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this a few day ago and I am trying to figure out what it is. It is cool to me a I live just one town over from Woodstock and I love finding local stuff like this. I have done some research on the guy but I can’t find much. He seemed to have owned a machine shop in Woodstock from the early 20th century to and died around 1960. The piece reads “George W. Charon Machine Shop, Welding and Water Thawing (left) TEL. 125.W (right) Woodstock, VT.” There may have been some red paint on back at one point but it is really rusted. If you could tell me what this is or a possible date that would be great. Also, is the TEL. 125.W a phone number? If it is, could that help with a date? Any help is greatly appreciated!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a George W, Charon buried in Riverside Cemetery in Woodstock VT with a date of death recorded as 1966. The date of birth from the headstone is no longer readable, even with some enhancement, except that it ends in a zero.

View attachment 2045442
Thank you! The death date seems about right. Definitely him.

Upvote 1

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Machine shop welding and water....Something.

Might have had a similar back seperate piece and spring between to clamp notes or paper(s)?

Upvote 1

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water thawing is a reference to thawing a frozen underground copper or galvanized steel, water service with an ARC welder . With all his info on the piece it must be an advertising item such as a thermometer , they were very popular back in the day.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude,sounds so damn cool. Would hate the situation of having to use that but sounds very interesting 🤘
I've thawed my share of lines over the years. now most lines are plastic and thawing with a welder is a no go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies! They are very helpful. I was wondering what “Water Thawing“ was so thank you! The birth date is also very helpful. I emailed the Woodstock History Center and they got back to me with some more info.
“Hi Abraham
I am not really sure what this tag went on but it certainly looks like it was mounted on something. It most likely dates to the 1940s. We have a couple of articles on him so I will have to look into it and get back to you. I believe (before I go exploring our archive) that he started as a blacksmith and then got into the machine shop business in the late 1930s and 40s. Pretty typical for guys like this. George lived for a time on Court Street in the Village of Woodstock which is right next to Mechanic Street. As the name implies, this was a hub of activity for mechanics doing various things. Fixing small motors, welding, etc. I'll keep you posted.

Nice find.“

Upvote 3

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per the 1930 U.S. Census on FamilySearch there is a George Charon in Woodstock Village with an occupation of Machinist and blacksmith shop as an industry. Here is the link. This is consistent w/ what the history center said. That is associated with a George William Charon born on 5 January 1890.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread