What is this thing!?!? Metal detecting at beach

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I live in vero beach and after the recent hurricane I went out this morning to metal detect on the beach. This was a huge signal and was deep. I got it out Finally after fighting the waves and I'm not sure what it is. I think it's a pilots badge from eastern airlines but not sure. It says 10k on the back which is amazing to me. But what on earth would this have been doing in the ocean?????? Anyone have any ideas what to make of this?
20221002_094317.jpg
20221002_094332.jpg

Upvote 10
OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a plane crash from long ago???

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its 1/10th 10k... AKA... "gold filled". ... might even say 1/20,,, cant quite make it out.
So is it worth something? Gold filled?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. It’s a pilot’s cap badge. This listing from Flying Tiger Antiques suggests it to be “sixth issue” from c.1960:

Eastern.jpg

Yours also has the “B in Shield” maker mark for L.G. Balfour of Attleboro, Massachusetts. I think ARC is correct that it says 1/10 10K, which does mean it’s gold-filled. That’s another way of saying “rolled gold” which means it’s plated, but with a thicker layer than you would get from electro-plating.

However, while electro-plating gives you a layer of pure precious metal, gold-fill can be any desired fineness of gold and usually a rather lower fineness. So, here, you have an item plated with 10k gold (41.7% fine), of which 1/10th the total weight is the plating. That means a smidgeon over 4% of the total metallic weight is actual gold.

There’s a handy calculator at the link below (you need to look up the spot price for gold first):
https://www.goldnscrap.com/post/gold-filled-calculator

Depending on how damaged it is, I would think it probably worth more to a collector as a badge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. It’s a pilot’s cap badge. This listing from Flying Tiger Antiques suggests it to be “sixth issue” from c.1960:

View attachment 2048822

Yours also has the “B in Shield” maker mark for L.G. Balfour of Attleboro, Massachusetts. I think ARC is correct that it says 1/10 10K, which does mean it’s gold-filled. That’s another way of saying “rolled gold” which means it’s plated, but with a thicker layer than you would get from electro-plating.

However, while electro-plating gives you a layer of pure precious metal, gold-fill can be any desired fineness of gold and usually a rather lower fineness. So, here, you have an item plated with 10k gold (41.7% fine), of which 1/10th the total weight is the plating. That means a smidgeon over 4% of the total metallic weight is actual gold.

There’s a handy calculator at the link below (you need to look up the spot price for gold first):

Depending on how damaged it is, I would think it probably worth more to a collector as badge.
Wow thank you for that information! I still can't figure out why this was on the beach or how it got there. The hurricane really caused alot of erosion on the beaches here. I have no idea who this belongs too, you think it has been lost since the 60s??

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you for that information! I still can't figure out why this was on the beach or how it got there. The hurricane really caused alot of erosion on the beaches here. I have no idea who this belongs too, you think it has been lost since the 6
We do find some unusual things on the beaches here on the Treasure Coast. This won't be your last. Great recovery.

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do find some unusual things on the beaches here on the Treasure Coast. This won't be your last. Great recovery.
Well maybe someone might collect these and make an offer! Might help cover my gas money right!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I live in vero beach and after the recent hurricane I went out this morning to metal detect on the beach. This was a huge signal and was deep. I got it out Finally after fighting the waves and I'm not sure what it is. I think it's a pilots badge from eastern airlines but not sure. It says 10k on the back which is amazing to me. But what on earth would this have been doing in the ocean?????? Anyone have any ideas what to make of this? View attachment 2048806 View attachment 2048807
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you for that information! I still can't figure out why this was on the beach or how it got there. The hurricane really caused alot of erosion on the beaches here. I have no idea who this belongs too, you think it has been lost since the 60s??

You're welcome.

Who knows how or when it might have been lost, but I’m doubtful that the enamelling would have survived in that condition after 60 or so years in salt water.

[Incidentally, although I make no suggestion that this relates to a crashed aircraft, Eastern only lost two into the sea in that era. Flight 375 plummeted almost vertically into Winthrop Bay near the end of the runway at Boston-Logan Airport after a bird strike on 4th October 1960; and Flight 663 crashed into the Atlantic and exploded about 6 miles SSW of Jones Beach State Park, New York after loss of control when avoiding a collision with another aircraft on 8th February 1965. No pilots survived either crash.]

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab X-Terra 505 with stock coil or 18.75khz elliptical coil depending upon the site. Upgraded to Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 1972 there was an Eastern Airlines flight that went down in the everglades while attempting to land at Miami International. Did they use this badge into the 1970s?

slammyz69

Apr 27, 2022

View attachment 2048822

Depending on how damaged it is, I would think it probably worth more to a collector as a
Hey guys I live in vero beach and after the recent hurricane I went out this morning to metal detect on the beach. This was a huge signal and was deep. I got it out Finally after fighting the waves and I'm not sure what it is. I think it's a pilots badge from eastern airlines but not sure. It says 10k on the back which is amazing to me. But what on earth would this have been doing in the ocean?????? Anyone have any ideas what to make of this? View attachment 2048806 View attachment 2048807
You never know what’s next and the best part is finding the history behind what you found and the mystery of how it became there

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1972 there was an Eastern Airlines flight that went down in the everglades while attempting to land at Miami International. Did they use this badge into the 1970s?

That, I don't know... but the crash site (Flight 401) was 25 miles from the nearest coastal beach:

Flight 401.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea its certainly a mystery. Hopefully it's not from any crash!! I like to think sometime long long ago a pilot lost his hat in the wind while walking on our beautiful beach and it blew into the ocean lol I had no idea guys how collectable this Eastern Airlines stuff is! I think I might get a fair offer for this thing. I'll have to hit that beach with my detector again for sure

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread