• C15ABBE7-89E2-439B-879F-6DD732491E13.jpeg
    C15ABBE7-89E2-439B-879F-6DD732491E13.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Brokenbear

Greenie
Dec 26, 2021
My 2 bits ..it is a plate termed a "seed plate" that was mounted inside an individual row planter that spun over a hole that allowed the seed to drop one at a time ..the mechanism was driven by the turning of the wheel(s) and was geared and timed to where it would drop a seed every so many inches ..(like 4 to 8") they came in differing variations for different seed sizes ant types (corn,milo etc.) as well as different seed spacing ..
It would have been sitting on a solid plate/turning disc (driven by wheel supplied movement) with a hole corresponding with the seed drop point ..the seed hopper would have been filled with seed which would keep the outer teeth filled of your seed plate with seed
Likely old enough to have been before soy beans but used in cotton, field corn, milo(Grain Sorgum) ,and sweet corn

Bear

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
My 2 bits ..it is a plate termed a "seed plate" that was mounted inside an individual row planter that spun over a hole that allowed the seed to drop one at a time ..the mechanism was driven by the turning of the wheel(s) and was geared and timed to where it would drop a seed every so many inches ..(like 4 to 8") they came in differing variations for different seed sizes ant types (corn,milo etc.) as well as different seed spacing ..
It would have been sitting on a solid plate/turning disc (driven by wheel supplied movement) with a hole corresponding with the seed drop point ..the seed hopper would have been filled with seed which would keep the outer teeth filled of your seed plate with seed
Likely old enough to have been before soy beans but used in cotton, field corn, milo(Grain Sorgum) ,and sweet corn

Bear
... I have some that are a solid plate with the grate pattern cast as one piece, I’ll try and remember to make pic...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bear
And your two bits turns out to be a solid dollar!! Nice ID.:laughing7:

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go with wheel bearing washer as well. the outside part of a wheel axle often has splines. to keep the nut that holds everything together from spinning loose they use a washer under the nut that grabs onto the shaft splines. Most cars today, they drill a hole through the shaft and use a cotter pin.

OP
OP
M

mlc3flying

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2021

Bear
Thanks for the reply. That sounds very convincing!

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia

Bear
My thought too

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this thread is still going on without a solve... so i will throw my three cents in...

Drain grate... industrial... center is broken out... probably when the bulldozer drove over it during demo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread