pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best part is the vibrate only deal...
One i hate beeps... deet's rather... and especially out loud... and settings... BAH ! ! ! ...ITS A pinpointer.... NOT a detector ! !
I want it and need it to do one thing only.... LOCATE it.... That's it... you can keep all those "bells and whistles".
Vibration is easier than audible as well ... more precise and interpreted better.
And you could run it over with a truck (both tires) and then turn it on and go back to using it.
throw it in the swimming pool for a week and then dive in and turn it on and detect the bottom for giggles.
Lose it in the ocean... someone else will find it a month later 100 miles away... turn it on and use it.

Comparing against other pippointers its "Tool VS toy"
Gee I have had one of those sitting in a box for over a decade. It's for sale if it's so good.
Might as well have it out there working 💪

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I have the Vibra Probe 585 too, and it's a bullet proof detector. My only real reason I would rather use the Mi6 is that the 585 is just too big, (both length and diameter) and it doesn't have the depth that my other pin pointers have. The Carrot, TRX, Mi6 all have the option of tone, vibrate, or both. They are all waterproof also. The 585 doesn't have a light that the others have if that is important to you and the sensitivity is not adjustable. I'm not sure the tilt switch for on/off is a plus or not. It's simple, but, it's not a quick process and can come on when you don't want it to.....like during transport in the trunk or any time it's flipped. It takes a 9v battery whereas the Mi6 is rechargeable. No doubt it's built really well and it's made in Simi Valley, Ca.....at least the last time I checked.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I have the Vibra Probe 585 too, and it's a bullet proof detector. My only real reason I would rather use the Mi6 is that the 585 is just too big, (both length and diameter) and it doesn't have the depth that my other pin pointers have. The Carrot, TRX, Mi6 all have the option of tone, vibrate, or both. They are all waterproof also. The 585 doesn't have a light that the others have if that is important to you and the sensitivity is not adjustable. I'm not sure the tilt switch for on/off is a plus or not. It's simple, but, it's not a quick process and can come on when you don't want it to.....like during transport in the trunk or any time it's flipped. It takes a 9v battery whereas the Mi6 is rechargeable. No doubt it's built really well and it's made in Simi Valley, Ca.....at least the last time I checked.
I have the 580... not 585.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have upgraded to a legend and now my junky off brand pinpointer just won't do. I am looking for a capable pinpointer that won't break the bank. What is your go to?
My first pinpointer was a Whites Bullseye, then a couple of black Garrett pointers, and last was the Nokta Pointer , that has been very reliable, durable and waterproof to 10ft
Trust me, since you’re obviously are choosing good stuff-your other detector should be just as good, right?
Watch some YouTube videos.
Good luck and happy hunting!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 580... not 585.
Pretty much the same animal, just the latest version. I think the only difference is the low battery signal feature, IIRC According to their website, it's still made in the USA and is on sale for $140.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first pinpointer was a Whites Bullseye, then a couple of black Garrett pointers, and last was the Nokta Pointer , that has been very reliable, durable and waterproof to 10ft
Trust me, since you’re obviously are choosing good stuff-your other detector should be just as good, right?
Watch some YouTube videos.
Good luck and happy hunting!

Attachments

• noktaPointer.jpg
    noktaPointer.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 21

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much the same animal, just the latest version. I think the only difference is the low battery signal feature, IIRC According to their website, it's still made in the USA and is on sale for $140.
Oh sheesh scratch that... just went to website... its now called the "585" :/... I wonder if it has always been this # ? ? ?
Perhaps i was thinking of it wrong ? ? ?

I do know ... There is a well known traveled road here that is 580... :P
And the only place i have even had a discussion of a pinpointer has been here. heh
Sheesh now i have to change the avatar info... :/

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found the 580 on multiple websites ? ? ? what gives ? ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now i changed my info already... :/
Well i wonder which i do have... i have the 580 as far as i know.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something screwy going on...
I see listing for 585's BUT discussion of them in descriptions etc call it 580.... ? ? ? ?

Wtf

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVEN on Wal-Mart site it does it... soooooo heh

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have upgraded to a legend and now my junky off brand pinpointer just won't do. I am looking for a capable pinpointer that won't break the bank. What is your go to?
My favorite was always Whites TRX but I gave mine to a buddy when he bought my AT Gold. Since then I’ve become accustomed to the ProFind 35. It’s depth is 3 to 3.5” and the iron audio is sometimes handy. It has its quirks but it’s comfortable and straightforward. It’s no TRX but I like it better than my wife’s carrot. The price is reasonable too, Minelab probably could have charged more. My only criticism is I have to look for the power button to turn it off. The ProFind is round and yellow rubber gripped so the power button isn’t something I can just feel. Small gripe but worth mentioning. The TRX shape didn’t require any searching like that. I think XP, Fisher and Technetix use similar designs.

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
I have used this pinpointer for almost 20 years. Very solid machine. It detects with the tip only. It saves time in my opinion.
I have watched so many people use other pin pointers and take forever because of the side scan!

Tilt up to turn on, tilt up again to turn off. After 1 minute of non use it will auto turn off. Vibrate only. I just ordered the 585 model.
Just my opinion from using it for many years.
I think the Whites TRX was the only other pin pointer that detects with tip only. You are lucky to find one now & if you do it’s about $250.

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a carrot, Tek-point, Nokta and several chinese units.
The Tek-point would be my fav as it's robust and has great depth, if the vibration were stronger (I don't like sounds) .
The Nokta is clumsy to retune with it's button location.
The chinese junk is, well, junk.
The carrot is my go-to because it works great, it's reliable, and the battery lasts a long time. It's also very easy to retune with a single touch of the button, to zero in on the target (totally necessary for probe recoveries).

I don't think the VP-### is retunable, so that's a no-go for me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, yes I’ve seen that pinpointer before. My only complaint would be the size. I have heard they are good pin pointers. Are they mainly for water or land?
Both

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a carrot, Tek-point, Nokta and several chinese units.
The Tek-point would be my fav as it's robust and has great depth, if the vibration were stronger (I don't like sounds) .
The Nokta is clumsy to retune with it's button location.
The chinese junk is, well, junk.
The carrot is my go-to because it works great, it's reliable, and the battery lasts a long time. It's also very easy to retune with a single touch of the button, to zero in on the target (totally necessary for probe recoveries).

I don't think the VP-### is retunable, so that's a no-go for me.
lol... no "tuning" need my friend.

No buttons at all... just point upwards and its on ... never failed me, ever,

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BLACK GARRETT - I've had (3) or (4) of the Black Garrett Pin Pointers over the years - they were really good but the on/off buttons tend to fall out over time. Had to send a few back to Garrett for repair.

ORANGE GARRETT - I've been using (3) of the Orange AT Garrett Pin Pointers for the last 6 or 7 years - the on/off button is much better built - problem solved. But all three of mine tend to "false" a lot - I have to constantly turn them off and back on every time I use them. And yes, I do ground balance and no, I never dropped them on a hard surface.

XP MI-6 - Got one last year. Much better built than the Garrett's - stone cold reliable and it's rechargeable.
Even if you don't have an XP detector get a MI-4 or Mi-6 Pin Pointer - you'll be glad you did !

Good Hunting !

RichErvin

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2022
Garrett Pro-pointer AT. (the carrot) Very sensitive, robust, much more water proof than I am. I run a Minelab CTX 3030, or one of a couple of Fishers. I would rather have the Garrett Pin-pointer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread