🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What kind of bullets are these? Are they rare ? Are they Spencers?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pistol-Pete is correct... it's a .44 Sharps Rifle paper-patched bullet, from the Indian Wars era (1870s-80s). For several decades we civil war relic diggers thought it was a variety of Whitworth bullet, but conclusive proof was found that it is definitely a postwar Sharps metallic-cartridge bullet.

Attachments

• cartridge_POSTWAR_Sharps44-77_oldammodotcom.jpg
    cartridge_POSTWAR_Sharps44-77_oldammodotcom.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IndianWars_cartridge_Sharps_1875_catalogdrawing_Sharps%20187.jpg
    IndianWars_cartridge_Sharps_1875_catalogdrawing_Sharps%20187.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 5

tomytye

Jan 16, 2022
Ct (not a lefty)
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re right the length is 1.9 inches and the width is .45 inches
That sure lends itself to the sharp’s category. And I guess I’m old and stubborn, I don’t do metric unless I absolutely have to. Like at work. Everyone has been brainwashed into thinking 9mm is the way to go. Uhmmmm, No! 45 thank you very much.

Upvote 4

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure lends itself to the sharp’s category. And I guess I’m old and stubborn, I don’t do metric unless I absolutely have to. Like at work. Everyone has been brainwashed into thinking 9mm is the way to go. Uhmmmm, No! 45 thank you very much.
11.5mm ACP just doesn,t have the same ring to it,I agree. 45 ACP forever.

Upvote 4

tomytye

Jan 16, 2022
Ct (not a lefty)
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11.5mm ACP just doesn,t have the same ring to it,I agree. 45 ACP forever.
Actually as much as I love my 45 I have a new love. Ironically it started as a 10mm. The .40 S&W. The fbi dumped the 45. In facet of the 9mm then the giant drug filled nutjob resisted arrest at Miami airport. Took like 35-40 9mm rounds and killed 6 agents before they could stop him. The explored the 10 mm and it would have knocked the guy across the room but it kicks so nasty you have no follow up shot capability. They started trimming brass and powder until the discovers ballistics magic. Just a little more kick than a 9mm but better balistics and ft pounds of energy than the 45. I have a sig 229. I can shoot damn near as fast as the 9 guys but hit harder than the 45 guys. And because of this confusing and out of control luv affair with the 9mm I have so much ammo available. Those recent shortages hardly dented my ability to get ammo. It is my ultimate go to. But I still luv the hell out of my 45! Bigger is better.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread