What Kind of Sand Scoop Do You Use and Where Did You Get It?

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has probably been asked before but I'm curious. I was going to order one but couldn't decide and waited too long before our Florida trip. Would have been nice to have down there. My carrot pinpointer didn't work in salt water so I stuck to the dry sand.

Anyways we have lots of beaches on Lake Michigan and inland too. Some very sandy and others pretty rocky. Looking for one that would work on both hopefully.

So what do you use? Where is it from? How much was it? Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Dirtpyrat

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2021
McAllen TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Eldorado
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the RTG “Blade” travel sand scoop. Handle disassembles, 48 inch handle great scoop. Built to last, have had several people approach me and ask where I got it. It is made of aluminum and works great in the sand but I’m not sure about using it in the rocky beach’s.

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kellyco.com for a sand scoop, get two, a hand held and also a full length "kick" scoop. On soft sand of will save you a lot of bending

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Crazy... i have seen some scoops in my days... but these take the cake :P
Back in the 1970's and 80's the Miller (Hoop scoop) was the scoop to have. Many who used them would float there land detectors control box on the sifter and have a extended coil wire. Then Whites came out with the Surf Master PI 1000, like in the video and the gold flowed.

I used Miller for a few years but the weight was the issue, like carrying Thor's Hammer...:skullflag:

Another favorite was, the sand screw...if you hunted the ocean beaches or deep in the water. A guy in California made them for several years. It had a lever you would squeeze that closed the catch once it was screwed into the sand. Then you pull it up or unscrewed it. Fairly interesting design and they worked.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• SandScrew.jpg
    SandScrew.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 232
  • addon (1).png
    addon (1).png
    58.4 KB · Views: 230
  • addon.png
    addon.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 226

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 1970's and 80's the Miller (Hoop scoop) was the scoop to have. Many who used them would float there land detectors control box on the sifter and have a extended coil wire. Then Whites came out with the Surf Master PI 1000, like in the video and the gold flowed.

I used Miller for a few years but the weight was the issue, like carrying Thor's Hammer...:skullflag:

Another favorite was, the sand screw...if you hunted the ocean beaches or deep in the water. A guy in California made them for several years. It had a lever you would squeeze that closed the catch once it was screwed into the sand. Then you pull it up or unscrewed it. Fairly interesting design and they worked.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I can't remember, but weren't the Miller's all heavy gauge stainless back then?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the hoop scoops... but that one is... um... lol :P

Metal Detecto

Jun 10, 2021
CA!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, HF9FMD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the T-rex. Not the lightest out there but works.

Josh

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its taken me longer than expected tobget this done. Less free time at work lately to work on it but here is the scoop part. 1/2 and 1/8th holes, welded a stiffening plate on top. Next up is the handle yet to be made. Sorry in advace for the crappy pics im reduced to using my "selfie" camera on my phone. The front camara is on its way out...

20210615_080756.jpg

20210615_080703.jpg

20210615_080552.jpg

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its taken me longer than expected tobget this done. Less free time at work lately to work on it but here is the scoop part. 1/2 and 1/8th holes, welded a stiffening plate on top. Next up is the handle yet to be made. Sorry in advace for the crappy pics im reduced to using my "selfie" camera on my phone. The front camara is on its way out...

View attachment 1931796

View attachment 1931797

View attachment 1931798

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work thus far on the scoop! I too hunt in Wisconsin and the Midwest. Great Lakes and inland water. You may find, like Detectors, that you need more than 1 scoop depending on where you go as well as the conditions. I've hunted fine sandy areas with my Stavr Monstrik-6 that has a newer carbon fiber handle. A Stavr with larger holes for rockier beaches and even a small scoop Great for suitcase trips, cruises, etc. Snapped a wooden handle in heavy, quicksand like silt on some inland water last fall so I sprung for a carbon fiber replacement handle. I also prefer an "arrow" indicator at the top of my handle which helps greatly when going after targets in cloudy water with poor viz. If you go with a wooden handle, get a solid one. I treated mine with several layers of silicone & made it rough for a better grip. All the best on your scoop project! 20201019_220825.jpg 20201019_220947.jpg 20201121_162757.jpg 20201121_162812.jpg 20201121_162825.jpg 20210615_193150.jpg 20210615_193157.jpg 20210615_173527.jpg 20210615_172954.jpg 20200406_160241.jpg

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree but there is one change that I think would improve the 920. I wish mine had more space without holes at the front of the scoop. It's too difficult to pick up small things with the point of the scoop. They usually fall through the holes. I'm talking about hunting in the water with a mask and snorkel. Ed

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to consider, well two.

Stainless and if Aluminum a stainless lip is a must.

So not picking on poster big scoop but just commenting on the scoops in the picture. Consider how rough the beach will be where your hunting. The scoops above will not fair well in rough conditions. Targets will get knocked out, a lot. Scoops with more basket will hold targets better in rough water.

The buckets are stainless, five years of daily hunting in the surf on the east coast of Florida with no problems. The one with the looped handle is also a beast in the rock and gravel up here in the Midwest and the 90 degree buckets pretty much eliminate washouts other then lighter items like pull tabs flushing off of the top of a full bucket.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody beats the The 920ix X-treme !!! Great people to do business with too.

Except for Cruise line Security.
I was on a Cruise before COVID and saw a guy pleading with security that his 920ix "was not a weapon" and they explained to him that because of the pointy tip they would have to store it until the end of the cruise. I was the only one detecting on that trip & never saw him on any of the Caribbean beaches we stopped at. Security questioned my scoop, but I took a smaller, rounded edge, travel scoop that packs well & travels great. Bottom line, my scoop made it on the ship his 920 sat in storage. Felt bad for the guy, but resulted in more goodies for me on that trip anyway.

Electrician819

Apr 8, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought mine on amazon for a few buck.
It’s the Garrett sand pan.
Love it
661BCD63-7B68-49F8-9BCA-58F592894FD6.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stavr, as stated many times, you must be a supporting vendor to sell here from your website.,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread