What kind of serial number would a Minelab Etrac still under warranty have?

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using a Minelab Etrac as my primary detector for deep silver coins over the last ten years. Despite being one of the earliest owners of an Equinox, and having taken favorable notice of the Manticore, I expect that I may be relying on Etracs for many years to come.

For this reason, I would like to acquire a couple of very late production Etracs with the idea of them remaining operational for the next 20 or more years. Although the Ireland made early Etracs have a following, I expect that a 2022 vintage Etrac will last further into the future than a 2008 vintage Etrac

That being said, what kind of serial number will the latest production Etracs have? I emailed Minelab about this and was ignored.

Based on owning many Etracs over the years, I believe the earliest Etrac serial numbers have an XQ prefix, then switched to a B prefix, then a 4042250 prefix circa 2011, then a 4042260 prefix circa 2016. I don't know if there are 4042270 or 4042280 prefixes or some other completely different serial number configuration after that.

Hopefully some of you dealers or relatively recent purchasers of new Etracs will know the answer. Thank you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac had 3 year warranty and went out of production in May of 2019 so odds of remaining warranty is slim, also no way to tell production date by serial number itself, you have to call Minelab. You want to be sure a future ETrac tou may buy new/used is genuine Minelab, it was popular detector and there are Chinese counterfeit ETracs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no way to tell production date by serial number itself, you have to call Minelab.
To the contrary, I can easily estimate Etrac production dates based on serial numbers, as discussed in my original post. I merely need to know if 4042270 or 4042280 serial number prefixes were used on late production Etracs.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the contrary, I can easily estimate Etrac production dates based on serial numbers, as discussed in my original post. I merely need to know if 4042270 or 4042280 serial number prefixes were used on late production Etracs.
That is you guessing/estimating the age. Like I said call Minelab to be sure a detector is genuine, ETrac was counterfeited a lot by China.

OP
OP
B

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, the replies in this thread have been worse than useless. That being said, the highest Etrac serial number that I have documented thus far is 40422609175. That's getting pretty close to the end of the 4042260 prefix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions