What kind of tooth?

hav2fish

Sep 14, 2006
Found this in a creek here in Central Texas. It's 2 inches long and about the same width. It is fossilized. Don't know how well the pictures will show up but it has a real pretty "ivory" look to it. Wondering what kind of tooth this is. I find fossils every now and then but this is a first for me. I found it in part of a creek bed where there had recently been some dredging. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• th_artifacts004.jpg
    th_artifacts004.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,293
  • th_artifacts005.jpg
    th_artifacts005.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,302

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
hav2fish said:
Found this in a creek here in Central Texas. It's 2 inches long and about the same width. It is fossilized. Don't know how well the pictures will show up but it has a real pretty "ivory" look to it. Wondering what kind of tooth this is. I find fossils every now and then but this is a first for me. I found it in part of a creek bed where there had recently been some dredging. Thanks in advance.

Probably bison. Nice find!

Sep 15, 2008
It actually looks like a Camel tooth, Bison teeth look just like modern Bison teeth, Horse teeth resemble modern teeth as well. Camel teeth have steps like the one you posted forming a small triangle at the tip.

jayutica

Jul 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75
flflintknapper said:
It actually looks like a Camel tooth, Bison teeth look just like modern Bison teeth, Horse teeth resemble modern teeth as well. Camel teeth have steps like the one you posted forming a small triangle at the tip.
:icon_scratch: ??? Sorry, bud, but I don't recall hearing that the camel was ever native to North America :icon_scratch:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like camel.

Attachments

• camelteeth.jpg
    camelteeth.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 718

jayutica

Jul 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
flflintknapper said:

hey drew, show the teeth you found today

Sep 15, 2008
For those who are saying that the tooth is that of a Bison, must have some awesome eyes because without a view from the top looking down you cant really tell. I still think it is a Camel, but I cant be sure without a top view of the enamel. :wink:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
flflintknapper said:
For those who are saying that the tooth is that of a Bison, must have some awesome eyes because without a view from the top looking down you cant really tell. I still think it is a Camel, but I cant be sure without a top view of the enamel. :wink:
Here's an image of two lower third molars, like the one in question. One of them is camel, one is bison.

Note the stylid which is present in bovids, but not in camels. Now see if you can pick out a stylid in the second image of the mystery tooth.

If there is a stylid, it can't be a camel. It could be bison or a modern cow.

I think you can find the stylids in the occlusal surface of these more-worn bison molars.

bisonteethocclusal.jpg bisonstylid.jpg

Attachments

• bisonteethocclusal.jpg
    bisonteethocclusal.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 359

vanscyoc

Jul 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same question

Not sure what kind of tooth this is 40F6E5B5-A752-471A-B736-416943DF11BD.jpeg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^Agree. I'm guessing camel/palaeolama but it would help to see the top.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread