what metal detector displays percentage of iron?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
are you talking about a GROUND reading, or a TARGET reading ?

OP
OP
D

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom , the ground reading to find concentration of black sand in washes and creeks or benches

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Fisher F-75 gives a magnetite reading (Fe3O4). It tells you whether there is a lot of iron/rust under the coil.

Upper right beside the battery level. Higher/more bars = more magnetite.

F75facePlate-300.jpg

OP
OP
D

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie , I seen that in some videos only time I ever seen it registar was after they would ground balance . It looks like it stayed at how ever many bars it was ground balanced at . Does it change as the ground changes ?
thanks for your time

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Also for old steel bottle-caps. At least in my local soil.

In fact, if you get a suspect hit pump the coil (do not squeeze the GB trigger) and see if the Fe3O4 scale jumps. That can be a tip-off it's a steel bottle cap.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you want anything other than an MXT or GMT? Whites is the way to go. Plus you can't beat the zip zip. lol I wouldn't knock the gold bug. It in its own right is a fine cheapo detector. Maybe one of these days, if I work enough catalytic converter, I'll buy me a Goldbug2. ha ha ha. I have been having problem with my GMT and the first generation coil. I can't crank it up without it blowing my darn ear drums. Thanks again Dallas. :) I knew I should have gotten the darn tm808. Oh well, maybe one day I will get me one. :hello::notworthy:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions