Jay Varney.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,008

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It looks like to me...Marines...based on the high collar (no other service that I a aware of...had high collars like that)...tried googling and couldn't find anything similar...but I just looked at a couple of pages...

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
I don't know if this will help you or not. This is a photo of my great-grandfather, who is on the left. The uniforms look somewhat similar. He enlisted in the Army in 1914, served in France in 1918, and was discharged in 1921. He was in artillery, and this particular photo was taken at Fort Lewis, Washington prior to our entry into World War I.

001.jpg

So my guess is it is Army dress uniform, circa 19 teens.

gunner3160

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Many other units wore a high collar in those days, particularly aviation, but that is not likely given the crossed rifles, which may indicate infantry. There are no pockets, indicating a dress uniform. There are no other awards, ribbons, badges, or medals, meaning that he hadn't served overseas as of the date of the photo. Perhaps this was a cadet uniform or a boot camp uniform for photo purposes. If you had a close-up of the buttons - that may be a clue. It seems there is something on the edge of the collar next to the crossed rifle, but I can't make it out. If it was Marine, somewhere there would be an emblem of an eagle, globe, and anchor.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
On that style crossed rifles there would be a number above the rifles and a letter below the rifles. The letter would be the company and the number would be the regiment. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread