What REALLY happened to Dean Martins son, Deano?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What REALLY happened to Dean Martin's son, Deano?

Back in the 1970s, Dean Martin's son, Deano, was a fighter pilot in the U.S. Air Force Reserve (or Air Guard, I don't remember which) out in California. He supposed died in the crash of a jet he was flying. This is the "thing" that put his Dad's health in a tail spin that he didn't recover from.

Anyway, I remember the newsflash on TV claimed that Deano was flying a low-level training mission, when he hit the ground. The aircraft he normally flew was the F-4C/D Phantom II, which requires a 2-man crew; the pilot and the Radar Intercept Officer. This is an important piece of info because when I saw the evening news that day, there was a video shot made from a helicopter flying low, over the supposed crashsite. I say "supposed" because all that could be seen was a black, oval shaped smear on the ground where his craft supposedly hit. Point 1: There was NO wreckage to be seen, even though the F-4 Phantom is a vary large, twin-jet fighter and the spot was on the side slop of a rolling hillside in California. If you've ever been to the Central Coast area of California, you'll know the type of terrain I'm talking about. Spotty tree growth and open gulleys. If a jet fighter had really crashed there, there would have been plenty of wreckage to be seen. Point 2: The news chopper was the first over the scene and there had been no time for the wreckage to be recovered. Yet, there was none. Point 3: There was NO crater; just a plowed furrow surrounded by blacken soil. Point 4: The military immediately closed off the area on the ground and the airspace over the site. That news film of the crash site was broadcast only once or twice; then stopped. I was in the Air Force at the time and I remember thinking, "no way is that the crashsite of an F-4 or anyother aircraft." The bareness of the site was damned strange.

Being in the service, you get wind of what we called "rumors and propaganda" about a lot of things and one that I heard about Deano's crash was that he was flying a familiarization mission in a captured Russian Mig. Well, that still doesn't explain the absence of any crash debris. We did have at least one Mig, but there was no way that an Air Reserve or Air Guard pilot would have been flying it. Those birds were being evaluated by active duty Air Force pilots who were qualified Test Pilots.

So that brings me back to the thread question: What REALLY happened to Dean Martin's son? Does anyone on this forum remember that time and have you any additional information? All newspapers and TV reports said he died in the crash of an aircraft, but why no debris and why was a complete blackout put on any specifics and why was the area, later, scrapped clean?

That story has really bugged the crap out of me for these 28 or so years. :icon_scratch: Could this have been some sort of paranormal situation? a UFO incident? I thought of posting this on the Paranormal forum, but......

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: What REALLY happened to Dean Martin's son, Deano?

My newspaper research shows that Dean Paul Martin, Jr was into alot of things....if these newspaper articles are correct.

(The following article runs several days in several diff newspapers)
Bucks County Courier Times
Levittown, Pennsylvania
18 January 1974
Dean Martin's son held for possession of firearms.
[Bits and Pieces] He was 22 and arrested by federal agents who said they found 5 machine guns and a cannon in his Beverly Hills home. He was a member of a teen-age rock 'n roll group a few years ago and was a premed student at UCLA. (the rock group was called "Dino, Dezi and Billy Trio" (Lucille Ball's son...Billy was just another boy, not related to anyone famous). Dean Jr is married to Olivia Hussey.

The Ada Evening News
Ada, Oklahoma
20 January 1974
Released on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond after entering no plea at his arraignment. Charges were for receiving $675 for a fully automatic Russian AK47 assault rifle and a fully automatic US M16 rifle. He sold them to an uncover agent.

News Journal
Mansfield, Ohio
12 June 1974
Pleaded quilty Tuesday in federal court to illegal possession of a machine gun and an anti-tank gun. He was attempting to earn a position on the Portland Storm Team of the new World Football League when he was arrested on Jan 16th. He has to return 1 July for sentencing, which he could get a max of 10 yrs in prison and a $10,000 fine on the one count.

Wisconsin State Journal
Madison, Wisconsin
30 October 1977
Dean Paul Martin, Jr., 25, and his wife, actress Olivia Hussey, recently filed for divorce in California. Olivia asked for custody and support of their 4 year old son, Alexander Gunther Martin. Dino and Olivia were married in 1971, separated last year.

20 June 1978 newspaper states that Ali McGraw was flying to England to play the older woman in a romance with Dean Martin Jr.

The Daily Intelligencer
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
14 January 1980
Desi Arnaz Jr and Linda Purl were married in a private ceremony in Los Angeles. Dean Paul Martin Jr was an usher.

Here are some articles on his death:​

Attachments

• 11-22-2008 5-38-31 AM.jpg
    11-22-2008 5-38-31 AM.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 6,798
  • 11-22-2008 5-43-34 AM.jpg
    11-22-2008 5-43-34 AM.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 6,179
  • 11-22-2008 5-45-32 AM.jpg
    11-22-2008 5-45-32 AM.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 9,562
  • 11-22-2008 5-56-43 AM.jpg
    11-22-2008 5-56-43 AM.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 126,348
  • 11-22-2008 6-10-33 AM.jpg
    11-22-2008 6-10-33 AM.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 10,748
OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron and Ann:

Thank you for all of these newspaper clips and the additional info. I was quite a bit off on the year, but otherwise, I still have that picture in my mind of the supposed crashsite. That video from the news chopper was not of a cliff face or steep mountain side. The description given out by the military did not match the scene and the newies were warned off by the military and the area around the site was made a no-fly zone just as I said in my first post. All of these conflicting points are why I've never forgotten the crash. I know this sounds like I'm pushing a conspiracy theory situation, but it's the truth. The news releases from the Air Force just did not match the "visuals". With the crash happening in the 1980s, I was an aircrew member then, and that would have reinforced my doubts with personal experiences and training. My memory was placing the time frame in the 1980s because I was stationed at Vandenberg during the first half of the 80s, and the picture of the crash scene looked so much like the rolling hills in the central coast area. I'm not real sure why I was thinking it was the 1970s. :icon_scratch:

I see in your signature that you're geneologists. Did you get those newsclippings from Ancestry.com? If so, guess I could have done that if I'd really been using my head. I, also, belong to Ancestry.com. ;D

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Shortstack said:
Ron and Ann:

Thank you for all of these newspaper clips and the additional info. I was quite a bit off on the year, but otherwise, I still have that picture in my mind of the supposed crashsite. That video from the news chopper was not of a cliff face or steep mountain side. The description given out by the military did not match the scene and the newies were warned off by the military and the area around the site was made a no-fly zone just as I said in my first post. All of these conflicting points are why I've never forgotten the crash. I know this sounds like I'm pushing a conspiracy theory situation, but it's the truth. The news releases from the Air Force just did not match the "visuals". With the crash happening in the 1980s, I was an aircrew member then, and that would have reinforced my doubts with personal experiences and training. My memory was placing the time frame in the 1980s because I was stationed at Vandenberg during the first half of the 80s, and the picture of the crash scene looked so much like the rolling hills in the central coast area. I'm not real sure why I was thinking it was the 1970s. :icon_scratch:

I see in your signature that you're geneologists. Did you get those newsclippings from Ancestry.com? If so, guess I could have done that if I'd really been using my head. I, also, belong to Ancestry.com. ;D

You are most welcomed! I am a member of Ancestry as well and I am sure these articles would have been there...but I also have a subscription to Newspaper Archives (more papers than Ancestry) and I love going through the papers, never know what you may find of interest. I have found it to be a great tool for genealogical research! Then I use Snag-it to capture my images / photos! That is an awesome program!

And I so love coming on here and seeing what folks post and trying to find something in the papers...that is so much fun!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

try to contact Linda Moulton howe - contact info on coast to Coast AM radio site. She investigates and reports on strange aerial phenomenon including UFOs, crop circles and other things. She may have additional info on this crash and what caused it. siegfried schlagrule

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Interesting event, Shortstack.

I don't really have any memory of it occurring.

Not quite sure of the 'picture' you have of the site...
March AFB is really quite a ways from the CA central coast.

Fascinating how a news report pops up about selling machine guns to a fed agent,
then 10yrs later flying military jets. AND weapons at Hollywood home, too.

Someone must have dropped the papers on the floor, somewhere. ;D

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS:
I hadn't thought of Linda Howe or other UFO investigators living/working in that area. I should have. I've been a MUFON Field Investigator for about 4 years and have contact info for her and several other folks.

Goober:
What I saw on the news was not "stock footage". The video ran as a Breaking News item because of who the pilot was.

rmptr:
I know what you mean about the civilian record being "put aside". ;D The F-4C/D Phantom was Special Weapons capable. Military pilots, even Air Guard and Air Reserves, must have security clearances. Deano's background should have disqualified him for one. There were too many "loose ends" dangling on the story. The reason I used the Central Coast of Ca. as a reference was as an example of the type of terrain where the crash "smug" was located. The distance from March AFB to the Central Coast of CA. is not that important; especially when you're talking about jet fighter training missions. The career field I was in when I was stationed at Vandenberg was one deeply involved with Research and Development. An assignment for a highly classified situation came up and after a little checking into; I turned it down because it meant moving to Edwards AFB and then leaving on Monday mornings and returning Friday afternoons......every week. I had a young wife and family and did not think it would have been "right" to get into that. The Chief Master Sargeant, program manager in charge of recruiting for the position told me that he appreciated my decision. With the different little things I could find out, back channelling coupled with a healthy dose of "hindsight", that job probably dealt with the F-117, the B-2, or the testing program for the airborne laser platform. Where you leave from and return to, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with where you may actually work.

One never knows for sure, what's going on with military and / or governmental Black Projects programs. For the most part; I have no problem with the military's work. It's the damn government black projects that scare me.

davclas

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crash of '87 Dino Martin

Back in the 1970s, Dean Martin's son, Deano, was a fighter pilot in the U.S. Air Force Reserve (or Air Guard, I don't remember which) out in California. He supposed died in the crash of a jet he was flying. This is the "thing" that put his Dad's health in a tail spin that he didn't recover from.

Anyway, I remember the newsflash on TV claimed that Deano was flying a low-level training mission, when he hit the ground. The aircraft he normally flew was the F-4C/D Phantom II, which requires a 2-man crew; the pilot and the Radar Intercept Officer. This is an important piece of info because when I saw the evening news that day, there was a video shot made from a helicopter flying low, over the supposed crashsite. I say "supposed" because all that could be seen was a black, oval shaped smear on the ground where his craft supposedly hit. Point 1: There was NO wreckage to be seen, even though the F-4 Phantom is a vary large, twin-jet fighter and the spot was on the side slop of a rolling hillside in California. If you've ever been to the Central Coast area of California, you'll know the type of terrain I'm talking about. Spotty tree growth and open gulleys. If a jet fighter had really crashed there, there would have been plenty of wreckage to be seen. Point 2: The news chopper was the first over the scene and there had been no time for the wreckage to be recovered. Yet, there was none. Point 3: There was NO crater; just a plowed furrow surrounded by blacken soil. Point 4: The military immediately closed off the area on the ground and the airspace over the site. That news film of the crash site was broadcast only once or twice; then stopped. I was in the Air Force at the time and I remember thinking, "no way is that the crashsite of an F-4 or anyother aircraft." The bareness of the site was damned strange.

Being in the service, you get wind of what we called "rumors and propaganda" about a lot of things and one that I heard about Deano's crash was that he was flying a familiarization mission in a captured Russian Mig. Well, that still doesn't explain the absence of any crash debris. We did have at least one Mig, but there was no way that an Air Reserve or Air Guard pilot would have been flying it. Those birds were being evaluated by active duty Air Force pilots who were qualified Test Pilots.

So that brings me back to the thread question: What REALLY happened to Dean Martin's son? Does anyone on this forum remember that time and have you any additional information? All newspapers and TV reports said he died in the crash of an aircraft, but why no debris and why was a complete blackout put on any specifics and why was the area, later, scrapped clean?

That story has really bugged the crap out of me for these 28 or so years. :icon_scratch: Could this have been some sort of paranormal situation? a UFO incident? I thought of posting this on the Paranormal forum, but......

"I was there" as they say.{QUOTE: Davclas}

I was part of a training exercise in Mojave Desert in March 1987 for 21 days of desert warfare training including 'Live Fire' with combined Air/Land forces toward the end of the exercise. This was my second tour to Mojave Desert for training (1st in March 1986). During the combined forces 'Live Fire' portion of the training (Army, Air Force and Marines) an Air Force accident claimed the life of Dean Martin's son Dino, who was scheduled to fly simulated bombing runs for the exercise. Somewhere during the mission the following event; (from California Air National Guard report) "Dean Paul "Dino" Martin, 35, son of entertainer Dean Martin was killed when the Phantom jet he was piloting crashed into the San Bernardino Mountains. Permission was given by March Air Force Base ATC to perform a "maximum climb" takeoff. The aircraft was seen disappearing into a scattered cloud ceiling at 4,700 feet. Radar contact was lost 9 minutes into the flight. The crash site was found on the 3rd day of searching in the San Bernardino Mountains. An investigation revealed the aircraft flew, inverted, into a solid wall of granite between two mountain peaks at an altitude of 3,750 feet and at an estimated speed of 560 mph. The aircraft was literally pulverized into the granite. The "maximum climb" takeoff, g forces associated with this type of flight and the dense cloud cover negatively affected the pilots ability to know his position and aircraft attitude." It took 3 days to find the site because so little wreckage remained after that type of impact. {QUOTE}

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
WOW, It took almost 4 years to figure this one out.I was beginning to wonder because those F4's were used to dive on AA missile sites and fire radar homing missiles hand print-2_edited-5.jpg to destroy them. I was thinking he didn't pull up soon enough and buried the F4.

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn;
The planes used for the Wild Wessel program were specially modified F-105 Thunderchiefs.

garoldcole

Aug 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings, to ease your mind I recall that incident well. Martin served with the 163rd Air National Guard stationed at then March Air Force Base (now Air Reserve Base). The 163rd was my servicing CBPO and logistics provider for the Combat Comm unit I was in; the 148th CCSQ (since BRAC’d).

Martin was flying in tandem with two other sorties. They were flying toward mount San Gorgonio, the highest peak in southern California at 11,503 ft. Rumors at the time were that Ontario IAP air traffic controllers miscalculated where they aircraft were and directed them into the mountain side. The two other sorties, highly experienced war pilots from Viet Nam, pulled off but Martin and his wingman did not. The San Bernardino Mountains were sopped in clouds and snowing at the time so there was no visibility and the pilots were flying by instrument.

These mountains are also granite which means there would be no crater from the crash and the plane would disintegrate upon impact. I know, as I’ve lived in these mountains for 20 years. That also explains why the crash site would be barren minus small debris with blackened rock.

What has bothered me about the incident is the lack of clarification of the role the air traffic controllers played in his death and if indeed what was going around at the time was true.

Below is a site that illustrates some of what may have happened as well as information on Martin;

TogetherWeServed - Capt Dean Paul Martin

Below is also an additional site with some individuals who are knowledgeable of the crash site;

How Did Dean Martin's Son Die? - Wreckchasing Message Board

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There was a guy named Markham from Blackfoot, Idaho. He flew F-4's. He was killed in a crash very similar to Martin's. His wife sued the manufacturer of the attitude instrument in the F-4's, and won a large judgement. Apparently there was a series of incidents caused by a mis-reading instrument. That caused pilots, when visibility was poor, to think they were flying upright when they were flying inverted, or nearly so.
Jim

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Often wondered about it too... post it on Paranormal Section, anyway; SOMEONE may know!

VOFSAR

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the SAR team searching for Dino Martins F-4. I was not on the team who found the crash but had a friend on another team who was on the team that was on site. I visited the site about a year after the crash. There was a small impact crater with molten metal, an accordioned piece of fuselage, a jet fan and thousands of pieces of confetti. It did impact a perpendicular piece of the hill side but it was low and near a drainage.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There was a problem with the "attitude" instrument on the F-4. A guy that was raised here at Blackfoot, and often flew a Phantom at low level around here, eventually crashed one and was killed. The investigation said he flew into the ground upside down. Apparently, that was not an unusual occurrence with the Phantom, at that time. The guy's name was Markham, and his dad was the local high school principal. I don't remember the pilot's first name. His widow got a really large payoff from the manufacturer of the instrument.
As for the crash site....it would be really unusual for the military to allow a news helicopter anywhere near a military crash site, and there isn't much left of a high-speed crash in a jet fighter, and the debris would be spread over several hundred yards of terrain.
Jim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss the rat pack!

DCH951

Feb 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a problem with the "attitude" instrument on the F-4. A guy that was raised here at Blackfoot, and often flew a Phantom at low level around here, eventually crashed one and was killed. The investigation said he flew into the ground upside down. Apparently, that was not an unusual occurrence with the Phantom, at that time. The guy's name was Markham, and his dad was the local high school principal. I don't remember the pilot's first name. His widow got a really large payoff from the manufacturer of the instrument.
As for the crash site....it would be really unusual for the military to allow a news helicopter anywhere near a military crash site, and there isn't much left of a high-speed crash in a jet fighter, and the debris would be spread over several hundred yards of terrain.
Jim

It will be 30 years on 21 March this year since Capt. Ramon Ortiz and Capt. Dean Paul Martin, California Air National Guard, lost their lives in the snow covered mountainside of the San Giorgonio range
of San Bernardino County.

Even after all these years, this tragic crash STILL HAS VERY LIMITED official detailed information released. There has been virtually no information or details released regarding the two other
F-4C phantom jets that were also in formation flight along with Capts. Ortiz and Martin- that is four other pilots in both jets who's testimonies or official statements have never been made public, nor have they ever been given nor seeked interviews by media or the military- in nearly 30 years!?

Sadly, there has been a virtual gag order placed on details involving this incident- and thus encouraging speculation and rumor due to the lack of visual and written reports regarding the crash site; exact coordinates of impact site; follow up visits to crash site or remnants of wreckage; news coverage; and commemoration of incident.
Some theories of Capt. Martin's assignment to a Guard fighter jet squadron normally reserved for experienced combat aviators transferring from the regular Air Force fighter/bomber squadrons, have given way to speculations of favoritism and even Executive branch appointment into the squadron from Washington D.C.??
Even speculation of the Capt. obtaining a Top Secret Clearance to attend flight training with his given past felony weapons violation record, is suspect.

Whatever controversy or mystery surrounding this story, we must remember at the very least, that two Air National Guard Officers lost their lives doing a job for America, so that we may be safer and continue our freedoms and way of life. 30 years is long enough to maybe pull aside the blanket of secrecy surrounding their flight, and honor their memory, and finally set free their blessed souls.

DCH

Fred C Dobbs

May 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dean Paul Martin crash

I just don't recall any of the scenario you describe happening. Never saw any bogus footage of a crash site on the news. From day one it was always Mt San Gorgonio, highest peak in So Cal, which I can see from my front deck. Inclement weather, which is understandable for a peak over 11,000 feet. Crashed into a granite wall travelling at a level altitude on a Saturday afternoon. Very high and remote area, took them until Wednesday to get in and protect the site. Remains were removed the following morning. This was what UPI reported.
So I hope this poster finally got the right information. I know I am posting after a considerable amount of time has passed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread