Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a War of 1812 US Pewter button. The only way I can make out the US is if I robbed nose grease but then that goes away. A friend of mine from TNet Said she wouldn’t it. I ordered Andre’s pencils But to tell you the truth this will be the first time doing it. Any other way to get that US looking good?
IMG_1081.jpg

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the buttons or coins are just too far gone to do anything. I got most of the corrosion off my half cent, and there was very little underneath.

Pewter is worse. This one's probably a gone. You might a coating of Renaissance Wax.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes the buttons or coins are just too far gone to do anything. I got most of the corrosion off my half cent, and there was very little underneath.

Pewter is worse. This one's probably a gone. You might a coating of Renaissance Wax.

Thanks that made sense. Man I wish it was in better condition

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that button adds character and age to your collection, it looks 200 years old and like it’s been around the block.
You had better get back the Fort and find another something else to add to that great story you have going there.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that button adds character and age to your collection, it looks 200 years old and like it’s been around the block.
You had better get back the Fort and find another something else to add to that great story you have going there.

I appreciate that fat it’s supposed to be raining for the next eight days and it’s gonna drive me nuts

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Still a great find...I have toasted coins with electrolysis. I now have those steel wool pencils to use to clean up those dirty items that if you clean too much come out looking worse than when you started.

The pencils work great. If you dont have them, I recommend getting them. I believe they are called Andre's pencils, you can buy them from several different vendors online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread