what stock investment site is better?

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Randomly checking out the various sections of tnet and ran into this thread. It really is a difficult question to answer as often it comes down to platform preference. Also trading fees can vary, especially when it comes down to options trading. If you do trade options I would check out options house as they seem to be the lowest with the options fees. Otherwise i would suggest you make accounts with the various platforms and check out how you like the interface before you load money. I have heard some good things about thinkorswim but havent checked it out yet.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of them have been taken over by other entities through the years and fees and trading platforms change and evolve. I have been with Firstrade for a long time and TDAmeritrade for maybe 4 years? They are the latest in the string to takeover the account. I do like the streaming tickers and research tools they both offer now. I think the TD account was Brokerage America when I started with them?

It has been awhile since I have traded on either, I am in long positions so I don't know the new ins and outs of either.

Good Luck

Santo10

Jul 8, 2008
Depends on what type of trading you do....I use TD Ameritrade....if you like daytrading I like their platformI also use Scottrade....like their statements and customer service...its a little cheaper too.If you are looking for investing advice...you have to pay for but Investor's Business Daily is a great source. You can get info overload if you are not careful.I would also suggest learning about the MACD.

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you are looking for an investment site for opinions, research, trading strategies, etc or actual trading services.

Research - seekingalpha.com
Trading - tdameritrade

Just my opinion.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Marko0916

May 8, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
not sure what to use, any opinions?[/

You have a better chance of finding bars of gold than making money with stocks. Good luck

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Marko0916,I didn't find any gold bars but 6 years ago I bought 20 shares of StarBucks stock @$9.25 a share and now it's around $50 a share so,I did make some money:)

NjStacker22

Dec 9, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D2arcing.

I'm sure you have TONS of experience in the markets.............

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who has used Swiss Forex, Dukascopy, for about 2 yrs now.
He trades pips, so not sure if that would be your thing or not. I know he does well.
(my $0.02 worth)

Terry, I LOVE e-trade baby! LOL! Wanna see my shocked face!? LOL!

saltwaterminer

Jul 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I subscribe to GuruFocus. Expensive but gives me just about all of the information I could ever use including Hedge funds/whales sells and buys of specific stocks.

atx

Greenie
Dec 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lonestar, Fisher F2, Fisher F4, Whites Coinmaster GT. WTB XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Scottrade is only $7 a trade and pretty good.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Scottrade is only $7 a trade and pretty good.

I used to trade with Scottrade and if you trade frequently enough like day trade, you can talk them down to $6 per trade. However I did not like using Scottrade. They are very limited in their stock borrows if you want to short stocks. It doesn't matter if you are a long term investor though.

If you want to trade a lot, it's better to go with a direct access broker instead of Scottrade. Using Scottrade, your orders have to be routed to them first, then to the market which is slower than a direct access broker. A lot of people use Interactive Brokers. They have a lot of shares available if you want to short certain stocks.

I use Lightspeed Trading. Their commission is .0045 per share with a $1.00 per order commission minimum. I use their platform which is pretty good. They do have misc. monthly charges like $20 data fee so you get access to Level 2 quotes. They also charge a minimum of $100 per month minus commissions so if you trade often and enough to go over $100 in commissions, they won't charge you anything. This is for traders who day trade a lot.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like Fidelity and TD ameritrade.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Top Banner Poster
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robinhood is a new iPhone/Android app that lets you make trades with zero commissions. I've been using it for about 6 months. It's extremely basic, but you can't beat the fees!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread