Greenie
Nov 20, 2020
Michigan, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO and Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I am brand new to this site, and to metal detecting in general, and need some help identifying a possible artifact.
I found this object while digging a signal near a creek in Michigan. However, this object fell out of the hole I was digging and is NOT metal! It appears to be made from two materials (Stone wrapped with clay?)
It has a carved oval on it and a small drill-like hole, but it also feels molded, and fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. It also has some scratch marks on one side, so thinking it was used for scraping or grinding? Kind of shaped like an axe head but not sure, and would love to hear your thoughts!
I have attached photos, but I also have a great video of it I can send to anyone who would like a better look.

Hoping the right person will see this and know right away because I am stumped! haha
IMG_6195.PNG IMG_6196.PNG IMG_6198.PNG IMG_6200.PNG IMG_6201.PNG
Thanks for helping!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I am stumped right along with you! Hope somebody comes up with an ID soon. Welcome to the hobby and to this forum from N.E. Oregon! Thanks for sharing with us.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard tmac20! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN ARTIFACTS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree with Up-North that it does not appear to be a Native American made artifact.

I theorize it is a fossilized root of a plant. The material around the root over time, compressed and hardened into stone, the root fossilized.

From the perspective from the side not shown in your image, is this object square, oblong or triangular. It would appear triangular from the images you did show.

Can you show an image from the side of the green arrow below in the direction of the red please ?
stone.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to me to be a heavily eroded sandstone concretion. Similar to this one which is broken open and beginning to weather.

Sandstone Concretion.jpg

Because they form in layers with different compositions, those layers often have different resistances to erosion and weathering. Sometimes that leaves a central nucleus which has survived but the surrounding rock has not... or the reverse where the surrounding rock survives but the nucleus does not, leaving a hollow shell.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tmac20

tmac20

Greenie
Nov 20, 2020
Michigan, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! I was in a hurry to get this item posted. haha
Thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tmac20

tmac20

Greenie
Nov 20, 2020
Michigan, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you

Thanks for the warm welcome, and for the responses so far!
Very helpful to get your perspectives. I was in an area that runs along a large creek, and has been marked on some old 1800's maps as a place where two main Indian trails converged. So I guess I just assumed this might be an Indian artifact.
The oval area is so curious to me because it appears as though it was carved. The area that is cracked off was from me when I was removing the dirt...it was the same shape as the other side.
Attaching other photos for reference.

Still trying to learn how to navigate this site, so apologies if I am posting incorrectly.
Thanks again guys!
IMG_6205.jpg IMG_6205.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6206.jpg
    IMG_6206.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6211.jpg
    IMG_6211.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 33