What the heck is the thing with iron oxide?

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Compass Liberty 100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have permission to detect an old camp housing site. There was an old carbon black plant here starting in the late 1920's. They built this camp to house the employees and their families. There is nothing standing above ground. Everything was removed/ torn down in the late 50's early 60's. There was a store, post office, and 30 or so homes. This place was hit a few years ago by a "club". Still very promising. I only found one coin, 1930 wheatie, but many artifacts yesterday.

The problem I have is the amount of iron in the area. Old tin cans, soda pop lids, you name it and I found it. I discriminated iron out. (Fisher F2) That took care of the near surface stuff. However, the deeper iron that is very rusty really sets my detector off. Is there anything that can be done about this? I won't even talk about aluminum, I know I'll miss stuff if I discriminate it out.

Yep, looking for the trash dump. Did not find it in the three hours I was there. Did not really have a plan yesterday. Ran around like a chicken with my head chopped off. I will settle down and start detecting in an orderly manner.

Uh yes, I am new at this.

Upvote 0

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As advice/oppinion, I would call the Fisher Company and ask a tech about "Ground Balancing" and ask how to cancil out IORN. (Sounds Crazy, But It just Might Work!). Good luck friend.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should also talk to the older people in surrounding towns and get input from them. :dontknow: Also try a little more research on that 'ghost town' and see if you can get a map.

OP
OP
LLanos

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
Maybe you should also talk to the older people in surrounding towns and get input from them. :dontknow: Also try a little more research on that 'ghost town' and see if you can get a map.

spartacus53

I pretty well know the layout of the little town. That's really what I spent the three hours yesterday doing. They tore the surface down, but left the sewer system. I would not of believed it. It is built of ceramic tile. Every so often, it goes to a three foot wide connection point. It goes down to a dry creekbed. No water treatment then, just dumped into the creek. Before I am thru, I plan to go over that creek. I bet lots of kids played down there. Found an old red ryder BB gun down there. The stock has completely decayed away. The metal is in surprising shape. Covered with a "hard" layer of rust. Found an old handsaw, old ink bottles, this is the type of stuff I came away with yesterday.

Bob

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
all the playing near the creek area will of course be upstream side of the sewer outlet . :thumbsup:

OP
OP
LLanos

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
all the playing near the creek area will of course be upstream side of the sewer outlet . :thumbsup:

Had not thought about it, but point taken. Thank you.

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well unfortunately there isnt too much to be done. Even very expensive machines will have this problem, just depends on the depth of the machine. Once you get past the discrimination depth capabilities of the machine, iron will always sound good. Also, it depends on the shape of the iron. If the iron is round, like a cannon ball, it will sound good. Even a piece of flat iron can sound good just depending how it lays in the ground.

Its just the name of the game. Once you get more time in on the machine, you will beable to tell by the sound that it is iron and you can help eliminate some more iron for yourself. Happy Hunting.

John DeArmitt
Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

OP
OP
LLanos

LLanos

Feb 13, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys for the input. I think I have learned how to ignore deep aluminumn, but the rusty cans still get me. I'm heading back there tomorrow and I'll take a sharpshooter with me to dig them up with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread