What The Rock?

<<RVR>>

May 11, 2020
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New to the forums/site, after finding an odd stone recently.

I found the stone on a recent whitewater kayaking trip on the Shavers Fork of the Cheat River, about a mile or so downstream from the town of Bemis, West Virginia. We had stopped to scout one of the rapids before running it, and the stone was near the bank in a gravel bar, under a few inches of water. It looked like a large metal washer, but when I picked it up I realized it was a stone. I thought it may be an omarolluk, but I'm not sure?

P5050716.JPG P5050720.JPG P5050721.JPG P5050728.JPG P5050731.JPG P5050733.JPG

Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• P5050715.JPG
    P5050715.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
Upvote 0

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a bearing block to me. Nice find!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. The sharp corners and flat bottom of the hole or indention don't look like what you normally expect in manmade artifacts. Not saying it's a geofact and not an artifact. Just odd for the indention to look like that for either of the possible uses mentioned. With that said, I definitely still would've taken it home.

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Welcome to the site! West Virginia has a lot of really nice artifacts. I hunted there many times. I have less experience in Virginia but have hunted there as well. I believe what you have is not an artifact. There just aren’t any signs of manufacturing or use. It is a cool rock and had I found it, I would have kept it as well.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may have started life as a split concretion, but it sure looks to symmetrical to not have been altered afterwards.

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural. Concretion of some kind. My grandmother used to have those around her house in Bath Co. Va.

Nonetheless--would have taken it home. Still a cool find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread