What THing Memory Stands Out The Most in Your Mind?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What one treasure hunting experience stays in your mind? I think all of us have had at least one thing happen to us while treasure hunting that we'll never forget.

Please share.

Here's mine:

Back in the early 80's I was struggling with a life-changing vocational decision. I couldn't make up my mind on which way to go.

I was detecting Lincoln Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan, when I said to myself: "Okay, if the next target I dig has my initial on it I'll do thus & so. The next target turned out to be an old printing press letter type with the letter of my first name (capital letter)!

I know many of you won't believe this but it's true. I still have that type set to this day.

Upvote 1

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Besides finding my first penny. I'll always remember me and my Dad working his 100 yr old yard together.
We found an old Catholic ring at 5 inches or so. Seeing that gleaming piece of what ever in the hole, we looked up at eachother as if it were the find of a lifetime :o

I think that is where the Bug really started to take hold.......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several Stand Out Actually, One in Particular,

I was Doing a Lake That was Being Drained.

Oldtimers Came up To me And Told Me There were Slot Machines thrown in it, back in the 40's, By State Police after a Raid.

A Local Policeman Also showed up and Told Me of other Slot Machines Being Thrown in Before a Raid.

Others Told Me the Stories Were False & Laughed When I said, "IF they are There, I'll Find Them".

I Found 2 of the ones the state police threw in & Proved the Stories were True.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Those are some great stories!

Mine is hunting with someone I met on here and finding a silver religious medallion. The guy from Treasurenet had brought along two other friends that had been hunting forever and they both were interested to see what I had found and what it rang up as. It's a pretty cool feeling to have a new machine and not know what you're doing yet and have the pros asking how and where you found something!!

Dudes

Wanderer

Jun 11, 2004
I guess it was finding my first diamond ring. Was huning around the fire rings in Huntington Beach, Ca with a Fisher 1235X and I got a signal and scooped a silver ring. Then walked about 5 feet got another signal and scooped this beautiful gold ring with a large diamond. Gave the ring to my daughter. HH Wanderer

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Going with my cousin to find his wife's ring that her grandmother gave her for a wedding ring. She had it resized. She lost it putting in shrubs. I hit a good target about 30 second after turning the detector on. I moved the mulch away and asked Jeff for his pocket knife so I could cut the black plastic. When I peeled the plastic back, it was laying right in the middle of my target area. When her eyes watered up I knew what the real reward of this hobby was.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I had an interesting experience at a soccer field about two weeks ago. I had been swinging around on a Sunday morning and got a nice silver tone, and popped up a large .925 religious medallion. I pocketed it and kept on going when a woman pulled up and hopped out of her car and came running towards me. I braced for an attack on the hobby when I saw she was crying. She bypassed me completely and ran to one of the goal areas of the field I was hunting. She got down on her knees and started to comb through the grass, getting grass stains all over her nice knaki pants in the process. Concerned, I wandered over and asked if she had lost something. Sure enough, she said that her daughter had been playing soccer the day before and had forgotten to take off her great-grandmother's St. Christopher's medallion. I told her what I was doing there with the detector and her eyes brightened up. I asked her to describe the medallion and she was able to describe the one I had found earlier to a t. I looked thoughtful for a moment and rubbed my chin, then reached casually into my pocket and dropped the medallion into her hand and asked, "This it?" The woman looked like she was going to keel over. Just made my day! Well, that, and the great big Harley-Davidson ring I found a few minutes later. Huge ring, didn't even fit on my thumb! Karma, maybe?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
I had an interesting experience at a soccer field about two weeks ago.? I had been swinging around on a Sunday morning and got a nice silver tone, and popped up a large .925 religious medallion.? I pocketed it and kept on going when a woman pulled up and hopped out of her car and came running towards me.? I braced for an attack on the hobby when I saw she was crying.? She bypassed me completely and ran to one of the goal areas of the field I was hunting.? She got down on her knees and started to comb through the grass, getting grass stains all over her nice knaki pants in the process.? Concerned, I wandered over and asked if she had lost something.? Sure enough, she said that her daughter had been playing soccer the day before and had forgotten to take off her great-grandmother's St. Christopher's medallion.? I told her what I was doing there with the detector and her eyes brightened up.? I asked her to describe the medallion and she was able to describe the one I had found earlier to a t.? I looked thoughtful for a moment and rubbed my chin, then reached casually into my pocket and dropped the medallion into her hand and asked, "This it?"? The woman looked like she was going to keel over.? Just made my day!? Well, that, and the great big Harley-Davidson ring I found a few minutes later.? Huge ring, didn't even fit on my thumb!? Karma, maybe?

AWSOME STORE af

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd say going out with my grandson for the 1st time. We stopped to dig a target which turned out to be a clad quarter. I started to recover the hole and saw that he had stepped over to pick up some trash about 10 feet away and brought it over and said, "here Papa, put this in your pouch so we can throw it away." I never taught him that part yet, it just came naturally to him. When we came to a trash can, he pulled the trash out of the pouch and disposed of it properly. Makes a Papa proud.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
So many stories, so little time. I would say the first platinum/diamond ring. I went to a difficult to hunt swimming area that I only hunt once or twice a year. When I got there a lady walked over from the water very excited. She asked if I could look for a ring in the water as her friend had lost a wedding ring there just yesterday. I told her "that's why I'm here", and she showed me to the spot. Normally as we all know, where they say they lost it and where it is can be far different! This, however , they had marked with rocks from the shoreline. And marked very well, I might add. I went to the last stone, turned my detector on and BAM!! There it was. The owner of the ring had gone home to shower and returned shortly after I found the ring. She was an older woman and told me that her late husband had given her the ring some fourty years earlier. As she told me about her husband and how he worked very hard to get her the ring and how she came to loose it I pull the ring from my pouch. AHHHHHAHHH!!!! She cried! She was extreemly happy and I was glad to be involved in that. The ring by the way would have killed me had I found it alone. 1K round diamond on Platinum. HH! Chris

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Mine is that 8 oz copper nugget I dug a couple weeks ago. I still wish I could have seen the look on my face when I realized that it was a very large chunk of metal in my hand! I was less than thirty feet from a hundred year old prospectors gold dig. Oh the things that can run through your mind in less than half a second! Makes a nice paper weight and a good story item! Of all the stuff I have found, it's funny that the most memorable is darn near worthless!

Now depending on Jbow and Grizzlybare for that CSA plate from NW Georgia! Go get 'em boys!!! (Not too many CSA plates to be found in Arizona!)

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
One of my favorite hunting experiences was with the Pikes Peak Adventure League, back in 1996 or '97 I believe. We had a club outing to hunt the old townsite of Rush, Colorado. Nothing left, just an old field and some cows. Anyway, I found a 1919 standing liberty quarter, and indian head cent, and more and I was also introduced to dump and privy digging. Those are some great people in that club and that trip really opened my eyes to what metal detecting is all about, along with raising my confidence level, which sure helps out a lot too. I had been detecting for approx. 10 or 12 years before joining that club, but I realized I knew next to nothing until then. I miss those days, alot of great outings and great meetings and it is probably thanks to everyone there that I am still so enthusiastic about this hobby today! I would greatly recommend that club to anyone in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions