What type of firearm do you prefer to shoot?

What type of firearm do you prefer to shoot?

• Total voters

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VP

.357 S&W hiway Patrol model. with a 4 inch barel, and Keith long range front sight. I used that in the Border Patrol.
Doubt if you're old enough to have ever met an old Border Patrolman by the name of Sketer Shelton but I'm betting you herd of him. He passed away in 1988 at the age of 59 or 60.

Anyway his taste and yours in handguns would have ran hand in glove. As you probably already know he wrote for Guns and Ammo magazine for many years of guns and his life as a Border Patrolman.

I have 2 of his books,one is "Good Friends, Good Guns and Good Wiskey", the other is Hoglegs, Hipshots & Jalapenos. May still order reprints from Barnes and Nobel or somewhere, don't know.

I have 2 .357's, one is a first year of production " Colt's .357 Magnum" which later became part of the Trooper line. The other is also 6" beautiful condition Ruger Security 6. As far as the Highway Patrolman I have it's also a beautiful 6" version but is no longer original as years ago Ed Brown of Perry, Mo. ( of custom .45 acp work renown) down a conversion to .45 Colt with wide target hammer and trigger. The barrel is a S&W original stamped "Target Model of 1955 .45 cal." A beautiful clone of a valuebal collector item until you open up the cylinder and read the model # of 28-2.

Anyway read your choice and thought immediately of Skeeter.

Don

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I always liked shooting rifles, yet was never one for wasting ammo. My all-time favorite rifle was and is a Remington model 50-6 .22 semi-auto. It has a unique design that there are 3 tiny parts to it that are pretty much designed to break if disassembled, requiring new parts. Go ahead....ask me how I know! :tongue3:

But now the eyes don't focus very well, so am down to using a .410 when I need. Not nearly as much fun, but it'll certainly do a number on them pesky squirrels and skunks!

...Now, if I could have my "dream" gun, I'd LOVE to make a modern version of a .22lr gatling gun - and maybe have a big brother in .308

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like hand cannons. Ruger super blackhawk, .44 mag.
My new fav.... Kel-Tec. 12 shot .12 gauge.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...all this talk about firearms got me to digging a little. As some of you may remember, my Dad passed away a couple years ago. He had recently purchased this handgun, as he was a Korean War vet:
Korea.jpg

The Colt .45 ACP underneath the fancy stuff sold at that time for about $1,000. The one he bought cost $2,000. Not knowing anything about firearms collecting, I've wondered for quite some time if it might have been a bit of a frivolous purchase. But then I stumbled upon this page:
Colt - 1991A1-Pistol Firearms Auction Lot-1983

Ours doesn't have the display case and other added items. It's just the never-fired, rarely handled gun with all original papers and its original blue plastic case. ....Well, ok - there's also just a few rounds that can be used if one wanted to. :tongue3:

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy shooting trap at my local club.....25 rounds of clay going in a different directions. Add a good cross wind and temperatures of the winter. Cigar and coffee in the trap house with good friends.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
One of these because it pisses off the Liberals...

Don't be too quick to judge Liberals. I once worked daily with a guy that was left of Chairman Mao but shot pistols nationally.
He was once criticized by a woman about his past performance with pistols as she was against guns. He asked her,
"If I told you instead that I was a Zen Archer would you be OK with that?
I liked that reply.

Y'all must know the reason there are so many different types of firearms is because there are so many different targets. One size doesn't fit all.
Tell me the target and I'll tell you my choice ( within limits, no jealous husbands)

Last edited:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be too quick to judge Liberals. I once worked daily with a guy that was left of Chairman Mao but shot pistols nationally.
He was once criticized by a woman about his past performance with pistols as she was against guns. He asked her,
"If I told you instead that I was a Zen Archer would you be OK with that?
I liked that reply.

Y'all must know the reason there are so many different types of firearms is because there are so many different targets. One size doesn't fit all.
Tell me the target and I'll tell you my choice ( within limits, no jealous husbands)

I kinda know what Zen Archery is.. however, my first thought is what in the world is Zen Archery?! I often partake in Zen darts. We don't need to piss the libs off; they are certainly in a constant state of pissy- ness for at least the next 3 years 11 months..

Tell us your favorite target and follow with your favorite tool for the job.

Disclaimer: if you are a lib that isn't in this pissy state.. I was in know speaking of you.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I kinda know what Zen Archery is.. however, my first thought is what in the world is Zen Archery?! I often partake in Zen darts. We don't need to piss the libs off; they are certainly in a constant state of pissy- ness for at least the next 3 years 11 months..
Tell us your favorite target and follow with your favorite tool for the job.

Disclaimer: if you are a lib that isn't in this pissy state.. I was in know speaking of you.

I'm not a Zen Archer but do understand a couple of things said about them.

To the Zen Archer One target, one life.
To the Zen Archer The target is yourself

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I carry while hunting most days. My choice is a small S&W .38 easy to carry and enough power to do the job.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which do I like best? Hmmm...
For daily carry, my Commander 1911.
For reaching out, my 300 Win Mag.
For pure fun, my Galil.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather shoot my Tommy than anything.. Although i do like my Colt 1911..

029.JPG

Reactions: RTR

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my Ruger Blackhawk 45LC 4 5/8" barrel. And my Henry big lever action carbine chambered in 327 Federal mag.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My latest toy :) Thirty BBs per second on full auto :laughing7: 011.JPG

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always liked shooting rifles, yet was never one for wasting ammo. My all-time favorite rifle was and is a Remington model 50-6 .22 semi-auto. It has a unique design that there are 3 tiny parts to it that are pretty much designed to break if disassembled, requiring new parts. Go ahead....ask me how I know! :tongue3:

But now the eyes don't focus very well, so am down to using a .410 when I need. Not nearly as much fun, but it'll certainly do a number on them pesky squirrels and skunks!

...Now, if I could have my "dream" gun, I'd LOVE to make a modern version of a .22lr gatling gun - and maybe have a big brother in .308
Odd that you should mention the .22 gatling gun.. I am in the process of doing a build of one.. I am a machinist.. so my biggest issue is finding the time.. between the farm chores, horses, chickens, turkeys, etc.. it is difficult to find a few spare hours.. Winter is best since I have a bit more free time

But, given enough time, it will come

TerraKacher

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2016
Kokomo, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Lone star, Fisher CZ7, ***Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a .44 mag super blackhawk with a 12" barrel, it was a monster. It would stick out the bottom of my holster about 4 inches. 30.06 pump, .22 long rifle and a very old 20 gauge single shot. But I gave it all up, and went archery instead. Gave it all to my brother, he's a gun enthusiast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread