🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What Type Of Piggy Bank Is This ?

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Bank 1.jpg
    Bank 1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Bank 2.jpg
    Bank 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Bank 4.jpg
    Bank 4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 389
  • Bank 5.jpg
    Bank 5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 123
  • bank 8.jpg
    bank 8.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 132

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Matt. I won't guess at an age but the cork makes me think it is likely a little newer rather than older.

I had a piggy bank when I was a kid and the only way to get the money out was to break it open. Or by sticking a butter knife in the slot while holding the bank upside down and shaking it. :laughing7:
I also remember sticking a butter knife in to get coins out :) Thanks Doubter for helping me remember

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cork could have been replaced. I think this may not be a pig, maybe another animal like a hedgehog or something.
I agree that it doesn't really look like a pig, but I'll be damned if I know what it does look like. With that face and the odd tail, maybe it's a rattlesnake that just SWALLOWED a pig. :laughing7:

Also, I wasn't suggesting that the cork doesn't look old. I was suggesting that the hole in the "bank" to let you get your money out without destroying it makes me think it may be a little newer rather than older.

Upvote 2

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
I have Googled searched this for hours!
Google lens, everything. I cannot find anything. Even google lense the weird tail!
Im seriously wanting to see the result of this. 👍😀
This piggy is doing my head in 😆

Upvote 1

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks reptilian to me with the ridges over the eyes my first impression was frog, like a bullfrog then I thought with the long face maybe a lizard… other thoughts dragon or dino

Upvote 1

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like clay stone ware and to me more like a hedge hog than a pig. I'm hoping than some one may know the style and form as there are no markings.
Any and all opinions of where, when and possible maker is appreciated. Thanks to all .....
Looks more like a pregnant rattle snake to me?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, all the comments & opinions are appreciated. Have not heard anything back so far.
Gone over this so many times with all the lights, angles, fine tooth comb as they say and there are no marks, letters,
numbers etc. that could id a maker. As Broken knee posted and DC Matt confirmed with pic I also now am going with a "Snake". Great job guys...

Chilli ... I'm in the same boat as you and really want to find out what, where & when this was made..

fyrffrt1 ... By all means send all the pics you can to clubs, museums etc as the more exposure will help. I have attached 11 more pictures with greater details. Just my thoughts .. Appears to me that some one in the past made a hole in the bottom and put the cork plug in.. Not 100% certain but I think this could be an original that had no hole and one would have had to break it to get the coins out. It is very thick walled and heavy for it's size...

Thanks to all and keep the thoughts & opinions coming....

Attachments

• Bank 1.JPG
    Bank 1.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Bank 2.JPG
    Bank 2.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Bank 3.JPG
    Bank 3.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Bank 4.JPG
    Bank 4.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 22
  • bank 5.JPG
    bank 5.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
  • bank 6.JPG
    bank 6.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 22
  • bank 7.JPG
    bank 7.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 27
  • bank 8.JPG
    bank 8.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 24
  • bank 9.jpg
    bank 9.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 22
  • bank 10.jpg
    bank 10.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 32
  • bank 11.jpg
    bank 11.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i take it that no pictures were sent off to anyone... even the ones I suggested.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i stated originally... its a folk art piece... folk art does not fall into a "category" at times with creatures.
Many to most times the creatures are exaggerations or artistic in nature... or a creature that is totally made up.
Therefore... this is not a single creature but more a creation off of creatures.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC .. Yes I did and also to different museums, Asian sites etc and have not heard anything so far. I will be sending more out with extra pictures... I will now send some to Folk Art Experts and see where that goes. Will post what ever replies I get...

Glowing Gem ... No fins on it ...

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Folk art is broad term that describes a variety of media and techniques. From painting to sculpture, these pieces have defining characteristics that are not style based (like line art or hyperrealism) or necessarily influenced by the likes of academia. One aspect is often rooted in traditions of a community and/or culture. The piece (or pieces') aesthetic often expresses the identity that comes from these places, rather than of the individual artist."

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent point ARC, I will look more into the different cultures ... Thanks..

hollARDog, I would have never thought of a tad pole ... thanks

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought reptilian till that last batch of pics reptiles don’t have that kind of anatomy around the tail area… maybe it is a chimera.

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I'm not convinced that this thing takes it entire anatomical cues from a particular animal, except that it may be predominantly bases on a highly stylised fantasy pig.

I ain't never seen a hedgehog, snake, puffer fish or tadpole with buttocks, so my vote is still in porcine territory, although I wouldn't rule out hippo (but they don't exactly have a snout).

[Addition: Hippopigamus?]

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread