🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What was this structure?

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've dug around this site for some time, turning up mostly mid to late 1800s items of all sorts (bottles, eating utensils, marbles, pieces of china, horse tack, etc.).

The stone as you see it is largely untouched since I've known of it. The foundation only appears to be roughly 15' extending lengthwise from the front/crumbling side of the stone pile and roughly 10' wide. My first inclination is that rocks were part of a fireplace of some sorts, but that's a wild guess.

Any help on identifying what this site might have been would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190105 - 02(Home).jpg
    20190105 - 02(Home).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 255
  • 20190105 - 01 (Home) (1).jpg
    20190105 - 01 (Home) (1).jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 120

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug around this site for some time, turning up mostly mid to late 1800s items of all sorts (bottles, eating utensils, marbles, pieces of china, horse tack, etc.).

The stone as you see it is largely untouched since I've known of it. The foundation only appears to be roughly 15' extending lengthwise from the front/crumbling side of the stone pile and roughly 10' wide. My first inclination is that rocks were part of a fireplace of some sorts, but that's a wild guess.

Any help on identifying what this site might have been would be appreciated!
Hey Hi. What are the dimensions on the "chimney"? Maybe 3'X4'?

Upvote 0

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. A bit larger than that. Probably 5'H x 4'W .
I will go with your first impression. Certainly, looks like a chimney to me, the chimney was 5'X4' but the actual firebox was somewhat smaller. Looks like many a remnant of homes/buildings in mountains around here. Likely had a loft too. Looks like a good place to dig. If there was a spring at one time around it or a creek you might work that area too. If you are a privy/outhouse prober might be a good place to look also. You probably know all that so sorry for stating the obvious.

Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will go with your first impression. Certainly, looks like a chimney to me, the chimney was 5'X4' but the actual firebox was somewhat smaller. Looks like many a remnant of homes/buildings in mountains around here. Likely had a loft too. Looks like a good place to dig. If there was a spring at one time around it or a creek you might work that area too. If you are a privy/outhouse prober might be a good place to look also. You probably know all that so sorry for stating the obvious.
Are there remnants of any other structures around the area?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are there remnants of any other structures around the area?

Thank you! There is a creek that runs about 75 yards behind it. Detecting the area immediately around it is next to impossible b/c of the amount of nails scattered around. I have done some digging and sifting, but have a had limited success. Mostly broken glass, broken plateware, and of course more nails.

I haven't found any other structures, but have detected roughly 3 acres around it and have found relics in mostly all of it. I found this axe head a few days ago about 200 yards from it.

Attachments

• 20220128_113700.jpg
    20220128_113700.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
Upvote 5

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! There is a creek that runs about 75 yards behind it. Detecting the area immediately around it is next to impossible b/c of the amount of nails scattered around. I have done some digging and sifting, but have a had limited success. Mostly broken glass, broken plateware, and of course more nails.

I haven't found any other structures, but have detected roughly 3 acres around it and have found relics in mostly all of it.
It sounds like a great site that will keep you busy for a while. Very curious why all the nails around the creek, which likely means another structure there. Maybe. It drove me crazy working an old site with tones of old cut nails but I ended up pulling some nice relics and coins out of there. I am not saying you will but some time those rough spots pay off. And sometimes just wastes your time. Good hunting no matter what.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nic

I haven't found any other structures, but have detected roughly 3 acres around it and have found relics in mostly all of it. I found this axe head a few days ago about 200 yards from it.
nice old axe head. Looks very similar to one I pulled out of a redoubt a couple of years back.

Upvote 2

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a chimney like that one over here in cumberland Very close to your location. the nails you dig are what remains of the house. turn the disc up on your machine to get past the nails.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a chimney like that one over here in cumberland Very close to your location. the nails you dig are what remains of the house. turn the disc up on your machine to get past the nails.
Yes, I remember you're close. The discrimination still clips the nails causing all kinds of chatter.

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread