What will be collectible in the future?

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I have steered clear of fad items and mass produced stuff (beannie babies, furbee). I think autographs are good Some records 45s, 78s you can still find them cheap. Hard to say ??? but always buy the best you can.

Acevillav

T

TreasureTales

With petroleum products on their way out, I'd guess plastic stuff. Well-made, intricate toys made from plastic. Also, carved wooden items. AND American coins and currency. We're headed for a North American Union whether we like it or not, so our current currency and coin will become valueless in a few years. It will only be valued by serious collectors.

DETREASUREHNTR

Jun 15, 2006
Bear,DE
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
I have a lot of autgraphed baseballs and bats some of Hall of Famers. They seem to keep their value pretty well.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
If you could really answer that question, you would be a wealthy person in 20 yrs! If you're not sure, you will become a Packrat, afraid to throw anything away! I've always heard that people tend to collect their Youth! In other words, Nostalgia! What Today, will bring back tears
of joy to people in 20 or so years? Think about it! When peps reach their High Disposable Income level, they start buying. So, if you are 20 yrs old today, it will be about 20 more yrs. Am I rambling? Sorry!

Joe ::)

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Yes...I believe you are right.. but what will bring those tears of joy twenty years from now? I am a pack rat I guess, rather safe than sorry you know. I just heard too many people growing up say "if I would've just held on to those"..... you won't hear me say that when I get "old".

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
TreasureTales said:
With petroleum products on their way out, I'd guess plastic stuff..
Where did you hear this? Is plastic really on the way out? Could you please explain? I havent heard this.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am starting to save pre-1983 copper pennies.

During the early 1970s, the price of copper rose to a point where the penny almost contained more than one cent's worth of copper. This led the Mint to test alternate metals, including aluminum and bronze-clad steel. Aluminum was chosen, and over 1.5 million of these were struck and ready for public release before ultimately being rejected. About a dozen aluminum cents are believed to still be in the hands of collectors, although they are now considered illegal, and are subject to seizure by the Secret Service. One aluminum cent was donated to the Smithsonian Institution.

The cent's composition was changed in 1982 because the value of the copper in the coin started to rise above one cent. Some 1982 cents use the 97.6% zinc composition, while others used the 95% copper composition. In 1943, at the peak of World War II, cents of zinc-plated steel were made for a short time due to war demands for copper. A few (the U.S. Mint reports forty) copper cents from 1943 were produced from the 1942 planchets remaining in the bins. Similarly, some 1944 steel cents have been reported. Following 1943, salvaged ammunition shells made their way into the minting process, and it was not uncommon to see coins featuring streaks of brass or having a considerably darker finish than other issues.

The price of copper later returned to profitable levels. The Mint did not need to change the cent's composition again until 1982.

As of November 2, 2006, the price of copper is $3.31 per pound and zinc is $1.93 per pound. At these prices, the pre-1982 copper cent contains 2.224 cents worth of copper metal; it is now potentially profitable to melt them down. Presumably with the rapid rise in price for zinc, the US Mint will have to find another alternative. The scrap zinc in a modern cent is worth 1.1 cents. With the costs of manufacturing and distribution, the net cost to produce one cent is about 1.4 cents, significantly higher than the face value of the coin.

People with young ears can hear the difference between the bronze and copper pennies and the newer, zinc years: simply "flip" the coin, giving it a good, solid strike. The predominantly copper pennies produce a "ringing" sound in the 12 KHz range. The zinc coins do not ring.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son is betting on my basement full of packaged baseball figures, action toys, etc. Everything is wrapped in plastic bags to seal out air and moisture. He's cards too. I have thought of selling a figure myself to buy a couple new detectors now while I can still walk to detect. I don't think that when we're dead, we'll be able to detect. So do it while you can...............

Sandman

T

TreasureTales

bigcypresshunter said:
TreasureTales said:
Where did you hear this? Is plastic really on the way out? Could you please explain? I havent heard this.

Plastic is made from petroleum byproducts, right? So if petroleum is no longer favorable in the radical environmental mindset that this world is falling into, would it not be reasonable to ASSUME plastic products will be on their way out??????

I thought we were giving our opinions here, so my original statement was an OPINION. Geez, do I have to put a disclaimer on my posts now????

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TreasureTales said:
bigcypresshunter said:
TreasureTales said:

Plastic is made from petroleum byproducts, right? So if petroleum is no longer favorable in the radical environmental mindset that this world is falling into, would it not be reasonable to ASSUME plastic products will be on their way out??????

I thought we were giving our opinions here, so my original statement was an OPINION. Geez, do I have to put a disclaimer on my posts now????
OK, I respect your opinion. Plastic is cheap. I dont know what they will find to replace it. But maybe someday. I thought you heard or read something. I know they are making plastic that breaks down and is biodegradable in landfills, and of course recycling. :)

T

TreasureTales

bigcypresshunter said:
TreasureTales said:
bigcypresshunter said:
TreasureTales said:

OK, I respect your opinion. Plastic is cheap. I dont know what they will find to replace it. But maybe someday. I thought you heard or read something. I know they are making plastic that breaks down and is biodegradable in landfills, and of course recycling. :)

No Harm, No Foul. Plastic toys, like the ones given away at fast food restaurant chains, might become collectible. I know a couple who collects them today with the hopes of selling them in 20-30 years. They have a whole room devoted to stuff they hope will appreciate in value over the next couple of decades. Personally, I think it will take longer than that because of the volume of items made and distributed for fastfood joints. Time will tell...
Biodegradable plastic? Now THAT's news to me. We recycle here, but I haven't seen the biodegradeable plastics yet, at least not that I'm aware of.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Breif article on the subject of plastics: http://www.tifac.org.in/offer/tlbo/rep/st168.htm. How about those razor-scooter things, which (in my estimation) are already fading from popularity... nostalgia is the key... I still get a kick out of the sound from my coleco football game when I get a touchdown (doesn't happen often). Certainly whatever the future collectables will be are being thrown away in droves today. I believe that nothing labeled as collectable ever will be. But I love the topic... lets keep it going!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TreasureTales said:
[Biodegradable plastic? Now THAT's news to me. We recycle here, but I haven't seen the biodegradeable plastics yet, at least not that I'm aware of.
Here is a pic of what I call biodegradable plastic. It was a plastic garbage bag that is now deteriorating.

Attachments

• MVC-006E.JPG
    MVC-006E.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 2,623
OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I think nostalgia is the key too.... I think that any tobacco related items might be hot in the future, maybe certain styles of clothes, some toys (always seem to be a "hot" item when the kids that played with them grow up), what else.... c'mon people....what should I be hoarding next?? ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread