Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It resembles a Beaver Lake or a Quad. It also look like it has a fluting nipple on it. Unusual point, that's for sure.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
quito said:
Where's it from? Anything ground on it?
Found it in south Alabama. No grinding, the edge is sharp all the way to the base.

Thanks pickaway.
Randy

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
i have found paleo north of there that were not ground but fully functional and reworked to the hilt.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
DorkFish said:
It resembles a Beaver Lake or a Quad. It also look like it has a fluting nipple on it. Unusual point, that's for sure.
DorkFish...Thanks for the tip. I don't think quad but I have been looking and beaver lakes and found one that
is really close. Not sure about the fluting nipple, I don't know how big a nipple would have been to make a flute.
Thanks everybody for your comments.
Randy

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
really nice paleo point, whatever it is, my guess would be quad, but who knows, it may be unique. I'd get that guy authenticated by an expert.

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
BTW, they used to call Beaver Lakes unfluted Cumberlands. Just an idea; it might be a cumberland minus fluting and grinding.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone...I am still not sure on this one. Does anyone know if there is an expert in the Alabama area that I could get to look
at it?
Randy

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
i think its a quad not a beaver lake.beaver lakes have a recurved blade,this doesnt.quads have the flared square auricles,this does.and sometimes quads are fluted,which explains the nipple.very nice piece.got my info from overstreet 10th addition.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
RPG, the fluting "nipple" was a striking platform used to remove channel flakes.
Chuck

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
ohio said:
RPG, the fluting "nipple" was a striking platform used to remove channel flakes.
Chuck
ohio...I know what a fluting nipple is, just don't know how big they were before the flute was struck. Does this one look about the right size?
Randy

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
I am not positive of that. Maybe somebody who knaps flint will weigh in.
Chuck

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
greg-rocks said:
i think its a quad not a beaver lake.beaver lakes have a recurved blade,this doesnt.quads have the flared square auricles,this does.and sometimes quads are fluted,which explains the nipple.very nice piece.got my info from overstreet 10th addition.
I think you're probably right.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bumping this one up for all the new guys

Hey artifact hunters. I'm bumping this one up for the new guys on the forum. What do you think? What type is it? It has the features of several different types but I'm not convinced on any of them.
Found in South Alabama.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions