What would you do if you found something really crazy while MDing?

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like for instance;

Some kind of ancient technology that should not exist, or :dontknow:

A Piece of a UFO, or :icon_cyclops_ani:

A trunk with 500 LBS of gold bars in it :2barsgold:

Basically something that could bring great scrutiny upon you. You find it on your own land, and you find it by yourself. Nobody knows but you.

Would you keep it to yourself, or go public?

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google the Saddle Ridge Hoard. This was a couple in Sonora,Ca. who found a cache and what happened.

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would not tell nobody. Some people just like to snitch on themselves or others

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some kind of ancient technology that should not exist,
A Piece of a UFO, or

A trunk with 500 LBS of gold bars in it

The first two would require authentication, by science. To go
public without that authentication you'd just be considered as
yet another nutcase.

If I found all that gold? First, I'd get it secured, somewhere, and
then I'd go find a damn good attorney and get some advice.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The golden rule, is if you can't keep your own secret, don't expect anyone else to keep it...

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I found something very valuable, no one needs to know besides me.
Ain't into publicity, chest thumping or feeding ego.

Ancient technology from space ? Well thats goofy, no one could say what they'd do in such an over the top hypothetical situation.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found something very valuable, no one needs to know besides me.
Ain't into publicity, chest thumping or feeding ego.

Ancient technology from space ? Well thats goofy, no one could say what they'd do in such an over the top hypothetical situation.

Of course it is... thus you have extrapolated the whole reason behind the thread.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
After 12 years of searching..My only two bucket listers.........

Alien technology & Ancient technology.....
.....would I share?...... being a Sifi junkie I know what would happen...If I shared.

I would hope to figure them out on my own and survive.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go look on YouTube for an old video by AquaChigger. He was quite calm as he pulled a hoard of silver coins out of the water.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Yea, I found a really crazy pull tab in my back yard. It was all bent up and quite old. I never told anyone about it and never would[emoji57]

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google the Saddle Ridge Hoard. This was a couple in Sonora,Ca. who found a cache and what happened.

Unless something has changed and they lost it, I'd say, "Lucky for them they found it in CA, where it's 'finder's keepers' law protects the finder!" MOST states aren't as liberal with found treasure!

For instance: Missouri law appears to apply to anyone who finds something, not distinguishing whether he or she wants to keep it.
The law says that if it's worth more than $10, the finder must file an affidavit with a circuit court within 10 days. A circuit judge is required to appraise it, if necessary summoning "three disinterested householders" to help.
The appointed appraisers draft two lists describing the property and its estimated value. One list goes to the judge and the other to the finder. The judge is supposed to hang a copy on the courthouse door and at four other "public places" within 10 days.
There's more.
If the owner does not claim the property and it's valued at $20 or more, the finder must place an advertisement in a daily newspaper for three consecutive weeks. If the owner does not come forward then, the finder can keep it.
The penalty for failing to follow the procedures is that the finder would owe the owner twice the found item's value.
The law also allows unclaimed property to be sold at an auction and the proceeds to be deposited with the county's treasurer. (from here: https://www.stltoday.com/news/finde...cle_877845e4-85ac-5473-8d34-216e648b6a8e.html)

https://time.com/10118/california-gold-coins-finders-keepers-john-mary/

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends.

UFO, Ancient Technology - Make sure I have the Book / Movie deal cut I want.

Gold Bars? What I Always do. Keep my mouth shut. Sell small amounts in different parts of the country as "waste gold" from jewelry making.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find anything. Don't know what you are talking about.

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not overly crazy but I found an unexploded pineapple grenade in Germany while detecting around WWII foxhole sites. Realized what it was and dug down close to 4 feet and reburied it. A friend later went back and got it and had it made safe, i believe it is in a display case at said friends house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread