What would you do?

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I would take the experience and the finds to my deathbed.
Hmmm...I can understand taking "the experience" to your deathbed. That's prudent, wise and unless you write a book about it, the right thing to do. But I'm puzzled about the taking "the finds" part to your deathbed. To me, the important thing about the finds is converting them to something fungible that can be used to further your hopes, dreams and ambitions. If you take the finds to your deathbed, how have you benefitted by them or how have they improved your life? How does dying with a stack of gold bars under your floor boards count as a win, as opposed to dying with a stack of cash under your floor boards and a '69 Charger R/T Superbee with a 6-pack and 440 Magnum in the driveway? Numbers matching, of course.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...I can understand taking "the experience" to your deathbed. That's prudent, wise and unless you write a book about it, the right thing to do. But I'm puzzled about the taking "the finds" part to your deathbed. To me, the important thing about the finds is converting them to something fungible that can be used to further your hopes, dreams and ambitions. If you take the finds to your deathbed, how have you benefitted by them or how have they improved your life? How does dying with a stack of gold bars under your floor boards count as a win, as opposed to dying with a stack of cash under your floor boards and a '69 Charger R/T Superbee with a 6-pack and 440 Magnum in the driveway? Numbers matching, of course.
With original paint,there,s a car!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh you really think they will let you deduct your HOBBY expenses? Guess again....
Hope this helps a little. Back in the 1980s I got audited. I figured since I was being taxed on what I recovered, I should be able to get a deduction on the depreciated value of my detectors & tools, no such luck. Why? No reason or explaination except that's not how it works.

Hence Boogeyman's mantra.
dig it up,
Put it up,
Shut up!
Need I say more?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this helps a little. Back in the 1980s I got audited. I figured since I was being taxed on what I recovered, I should be able to get a deduction on the depreciated value of my detectors & tools, no such luck. Why? No reason or explaination except that's not how it works.

Hence Boogeyman's mantra.
dig it up,
Put it up,
Shut up!
Need I say more?
Dang! This thread is old! Still asking the same old question never learning from others negative experiences........... The only thing that's changed is the govt has gotten way better at squeezing that last penny out of us.........

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
With original paint,there,s a car!

Just thinking about it makes me want to sneak on to rural properties and look in the barns. But that would be wrong...

Nevertheless, finding a car like that would rank up their with finding a cache of gold bars. Especially if the fluids had been nicely drained from the engine and the car was lovingly covered with moving blankets. And if I picture that same car with 4 on the floor I almost have to go take a cold shower!

Dang! This thread is old! Still asking the same old question never learning from others negative experiences........... The only thing that's changed is the govt has gotten way better at squeezing that last penny out of us.........

And because the government has gotten better with the squeezing, the wisdom of this thread will never be out of date. I figure I could infiltrate up to $10 million into my life under the radar over time. But as time goes on, even that will get tougher and tougher. Now that the government is talking about implementing their own crypto currency, even legitimate money will be subject to their whims. They will be able to turn off and on your ability to by anything--collectively or item specific. Too fat? No beef for you! Patriot-minded? No guns or ammo for you! All around PITA to the government? No spending for you! Combine crypto with ESG scores and they can herd you wherever they want you to go.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I c
Just thinking about it makes me want to sneak on to rural properties and look in the barns. But that would be wrong...

Nevertheless, finding a car like that would rank up their with finding a cache of gold bars. Especially if the fluids had been nicely drained from the engine and the car was lovingly covered with moving blankets. And if I picture that same car with 4 on the floor I almost have to go take a cold shower!

And because the government has gotten better with the squeezing, the wisdom of this thread will never be out of date. I figure I could infiltrate up to $10 million into my life under the radar over time. But as time goes on, even that will get tougher and tougher. Now that the government is talking about implementing their own crypto currency, even legitimate money will be subject to their whims. They will be able to turn off and on your ability to by anything--collectively or item specific. Too fat? No beef for you! Patriot-minded? No guns or ammo for you! All around PITA to the government? No spending for you! Combine crypto with ESG scores and they can herd you wherever they want you to go.
I can dig it! Both posts!

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

And just think of the tax advantages a classic barn car find would have over a gold bar find. You buy the car for a good price from someone who is most likely in their 90's or older, and then you bask in the good fortune without having to pay anything but the title transfer and maybe registration fees if you are planning on driving it right away. I think even the federal government would have a hard time trying to lay the treasure trove tax on you for something like that. Just don't blow the whole thing by using Armor All on the interior!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I c

Hey monster, howz bout talking to the owner & offer to clear out the barn for what's inside? Think outside the box! Lots of times you'll spark an idea to get the barn cleaned out of all those junk / antiques. Don't forget, word travels! You might end up with enough to open an antique store.
Won't know unless you ask. I've gotten some pretty great stuff on the condition I take it all.

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys are funny, if anybody could find something like that, gold bars. haha

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
There is only one way two people can keep a secret.
That's if one of them is dead.

Go ahead and tell everyone and at the same time kiss your finds goodbye
because everyone and his brother will lay claim to it.
Shut your mouth and enjoy what you found, if you want to keep it.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEGreen is RIGHT ON TRACK !!!

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
And given modern forensics, that isn't even the case anymore.

"Forensics be jammin' a brother up" - Suspect, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
What does forensics have to do with keeping a secret?
Forensics is after the secret is out.
You know what they use to say
loose lips sink ships

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
What does forensics have to do with keeping a secret?
Forensics is after the secret is out.
These days, forensics may be the reason the secret is out. Who killed that dude and took his cache of money from under the porch? Shhhhh..., it's a secret. But not after they plug some DNA into the CSI 6000 Pro. After a few minutes, while you stand there engaging in small talk with a hot coworker, it pops out a suspect's name. And if they had used the CSI 6000 ProX it would have given them the suspects current location. Always pay the extra to get the upgraded version...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With what is going on in America right now we can not be to CAREFUL !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friends and I debate... what would you do if you found a hoard of gold bars and artifacts? Would you legally file a claim for the treasure or would you keep it a sercret? Why?
Welcome to Treasure net

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread