whats scaring my dog it nite???? plese help.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
about 8.15 every nite my dog gets scared and paces around and cries a little, it stops about 1am. i cant hear anything so i think it a frequency that only dogs can hear. i dont think its anything else because its always the same time.its been over a month now and i know its not good for her, is there a meter or something that i can use to track down this, do lights put out this sounds? any ideas??????? thanks brad and bailie. and i dont want drug her every nite.
Resized_20221225_110716.jpeg

Sir_Duck

Greenie
Jun 12, 2022
about 8.15 every nite my dog gets scared and paces around and cries a little, it stops about 1am. i cant hear anything so i think it a frequency that only dogs can hear. i dont think its anything else because its always the same time.its been over a month now and i know its not good for her, is there a meter or something that i can use to track down this, do lights put out this sounds? any ideas??????? thanks brad and bailie. and i dont want drug her every nite. View attachment 2086817
Get cameras set up around your property if you don't have any already. Could be something as simple as a couple raccoons running around. Hope you find out soon

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
Get cameras set up around your property if you don't have any already. Could be something as simple as a couple raccoons running around. Hope you find out soon
thank you,but i dont think its a animal, because ive spent hours out side and not heard anything moving around, also its starts within 2min of 8.15 every nite, and ends beween 12 and 1am. crazy.i dont think camera would work around here because there a lot of trees close to the house, but thanks for the ideas.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did not mention if your dog is inside or outside ? Some times my dog which is usually inside gets weird. I look around and sometimes i see a raccoon , Skunk . (They usually leave a scent) Or another cat outside.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a bug thing that made a noise that was supposed to keep them away and it started going bad and I could hear the sound but my wife couldn't. Do you have any kind of timers that come on between those hours like yard sprinklers or something like that ? If so try turning them off and see what happens. It could be a neighbors timer that is putting out a sound the human ear can't hear but a canine can hear.Hope you find the cause for your pup.

Reactions: ARC

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghosts? I'm not a strong believer in them, but my cats will sometimes stare at the ceiling or a spot in my room, but there's nothing there! Freaks me out every time! Maybe they can see things we can't...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its that noise coming from Sacramento and it even upsets the animals here in Georgia.
It is done in such a manner that you get the message but actually do not hear a thing.🐕 :)

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now if the issue is EMI and the dog is being troubled by it, you could try this out.
Does any of your detectors pick up/or are sensitive to EMI?
Just turn on a detector and find out-just a thought.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try researching "Sundowners Syndrome"

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you taken her for a walk at that time?

Walking away or nearer to the source might narrow it down.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Anxiety can have multiple causes in dogs. We've one that will stress till it pants near bedtime in the evening. One night it wants on the bed , another it's fine in the living room. (Often weather related. A storm or big pressure change type events). Other nights it doesn't seem know where it wants to be. Not unlike another old one that does know and will be upset if not there... When it remembers what it was doing when vibrations (dog hears very little) slow or cease in the evening as house activity winds down.

Let's go with you are correct in it being a frequency.
There are some industries in the area you list as being from.
(And we don't really need to know where you are...)

Off peak hours can appeal to high energy draw events to reduce costs through off peak demand incentives. A foundry with electric induction furnaces for example , (no I don't know of one near you. )
Also it's cooler most evenings.
A 4 hourish period fits (per my imagination) an industrial heavy load task.
Motors. Hydraulics. Heck an electric hi-lo's motor sound ?
The electric motors driving overhead cranes have quite a whine/pitch to them.
Could be lots of things though creating a frequency the dog dislikes.
And distance can be from very close , to very distant.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe try a Decibel Meter Sound Detector app for android & Iphone, there are inexpensive
hand held units too. dogs can hear high frequency sounds I think up to 1/2-3/4 of a mile, so
you prob have to walk around to locate it. I'm not sure how a sound masking system works
might be worth looking into a sound masking system, if you can't locate the sound.
hope you get it figured out.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have any HAM radio operators in your area? Most have large antennas that make their location easy to spot. Just a possibility. Good luck finding the source.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
about 8.15 every nite my dog gets scared and paces around and cries a little, it stops about 1am. i cant hear anything so i think it a frequency that only dogs can hear. i dont think its anything else because its always the same time.its been over a month now and i know its not good for her, is there a meter or something that i can use to track down this, do lights put out this sounds? any ideas??????? thanks brad and bailie. and i dont want drug her every nite. View attachment 2086817
Always could be one or more forest.people….
Besides bothering the dog, any other weird things happening in neighborhood…??
Thanks for the post

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there is a correlation between the sunset or darkness. Eyesight going bad or some other health related issue? Or like you say, something that kicks on around that time. Poor pup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions