Whats the best coil to use for farm fields for the minelab equinox 800?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best coil to use for farm fields for the minelab equinox 800?
You,ll probably have to determine that yourself for your fields.Are they relatively clean?Full of iron and trash? Got old house sites on them? Hot rocks? It,s all part of the fun of metal detecting,try what you got and see how it works for you.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posting it three times probably won,t change any thing.This is like asking what,s the best metal detector for farm fields. No set answer,what works best for you is what,s best. Get out in those fields and find out.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with the larger coil in fields is that there is so much iron - particularly nails.

Scott

bullnose

Jan 21, 2019
Clinton County Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with the larger coil in fields is that there is so much iron - particularly nails.

Scott
Exactly this - I've found all sorts of "whatsits" and iron "leaverites" (as in leave 'er right there cuz it's too big to dig...) with my Nox that could fall off an agricultural implement or be tossed as trash from a tractor or wagon. Sometimes I wonder if the old threshing machines lost a percentage of their parts every time they were used. I also wonder if Blatz beer was mid century "farmer fuel."

Wire fencing is another thing you're going to deal with.

In my experience the coil size doesn't matter as much as understanding what the machine is telling you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the 12 X 15 is the best for me, but, I haven't run across a field that's ridiculously iron polluted. Around a house site, or, where there's lots of targets, a smaller coil will help in separation of targets and unmasking.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This year I picked up the 15" Coiltek coil and a counterweight from Steve's Detector Rods to use on open farm fields (and also on the beach). It's heavy and I can't swing it for more than a few hours, but I like that it covers more ground, gives more depth and I can still pinpoint and separate in most areas (but I'd never use the 15" in a homesite area).

Examples of use cases for me:
- I've been detecting an 1800s school site that's now in the middle of a farm field. The school site doesn't have much extra trash or iron, so the 15" has helped me pick out some coins (Indian heads etc.)
- When I found this https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...er-interesting-finds-from-the-weekend.668537/ I was using the 15" and I attributed finding that coin to using that coil.
- yesterday I used the 15"/counterweight setup on a field that is now a park but used to be the farm around an 1800s site. I only had an hour and didn't find anything noteworthy, but I covered more ground with the 15" than I would have with the stock coil.

Note: in heavy iron areas I have the Deus 1 that I trust more than the Equinox; I think the Deus helps me pick out targets - especially smaller ones - amongst the iron and gets fooled less than the Nox.

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread