tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Later yesterday afternoon, I took my mut's out for a stroll along the trails in the low bluffs that follow along the local creeks. Much of bluffs has been set aside as open-space and trails have been put in place from the town of Broomfield through my town of Lafayette and all the way to Erie Colorado. It's several miles of some wide open country to explore in this hectic area I live, so these efforts to preserve this country has made living here rather nice and a good place to get a little peace, though you will still hear all the traffic in the distance and a constant roar of airliners going overhead, but what can you do when you live in a place of massive growth. I spotted a coyote out for dinner in the distance and it stayed poised in this statue like position for some time only inching ever so slowly forward. I was hoping to see it turn on it's afterburners and make a score, but the prairie dogs were on to it and their relay of alarms warned all that could hear an attack was imminent and the prairie dogs and bunny's all took cover underground, because the coyote, just laid down and gave up not to waist it's energy for a surly hopeless looking result of a kill. I read that when there's danger such as this in the prairie dog colonies the prairie dogs will allow the rabbits in their holes also to escape the danger, but after the coast is clear the rabbits gotta get out. The afternoon sun was hot and the creeks do make for a nice place for the dogs to cool off just before we head back home.

Attachments

• walk 062519 1.jpg
    walk 062519 1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 55
  • walk 062519 2.jpg
    walk 062519 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • walk 062519 3.jpg
    walk 062519 3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
  • walk 062519 4.jpg
    walk 062519 4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
  • walk 062519 5.jpg
    walk 062519 5.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 51
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an interesting bit of information about the bunnies being able to seek cover in the prairie dog hole. I like looking at your prairie dog pics because it is something I don't see around these parts.

Aww, the dogs are cute!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting bit of information about the bunnies being able to seek cover in the prairie dog hole. I like looking at your prairie dog pics because it is something I don't see around these parts.

Yeah, they love to go to this place. It was a special trip, as Ollie had to have a little surgery done yesterday. He had a fatty mass on his leg and the vet did a needle exam and looking under a microscope at the cells, she said it was something that should be removed and analyze to see if it may be cancerous. He spent most the day under anesthesia having it removed. He's still pretty uncertain this morning on what's going on. Hopefully that mass is nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_050125987.jpg
    IMG_20190628_050125987.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh! I hope it is not cancerous! Poor Ollie!
Me too. After all that and being under anesthesia he came out very uncertain about the world around him and even me. Poor dog didn't know what the heck was going on. Tonight he's a bit better and soon I know he'll be wanting to get out, but he's got 14 days till the sutures are removed, so the world's gonna seem even more sad and uncertain to him.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck keeping him from gnawing at the bandage. :unhappysmiley:
He's really good at leaving it alone. Tomorrow morning I take him in to have it removed to see how well it's healing. Then he'll get another fresh wrap.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just about every other vacant lot around here is occupied by prairie dogs. They're definitely a resilient little critter.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe I remember you (I think) posting a video on how they "vacuum" the little critters up.

axelrich

Jun 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite an interesting post it is, thanks for sharing..

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I remember you (I think) posting a video on how they "vacuum" the little critters up.
Yeah that was the prairie dog removal guy. About every 5 years he'll show up in the open space behind me to reduce the outward expanding prairie dog town by sucking them out. Sometimes they're relocated elsewhere and other times they end up as Hyena treats at the zoo. Folk either love em or hate around here. In the open space behind me, they relocated them there maybe 20 years ago now. Before the field was rather pretty with taller grasses. There were lizards out there then and more fox. After the prairie dogs establish themselves, they devoured the tall grasses and the lizards are no more and the fox have disappeared, as the coyote have run them all off. Sadly the barren ground allowed the establishment of more invasive weeds and nasty grasses. Today the rabbits are in large numbers as they could hide better from the coyote in all the new holes dug up by the prairie dogs and there's a bunch more birds of prey around going after the rabbits and prairie dogs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread