Whats with all the negative waves, man!

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta add my 2 cents in......im gettin ready to by a new machine, but i've been swinging a bh 2000 for several yrs.. bought it at a flea market for 35 bux i think it was....i have been using this machine for at least 8 yrs or so.....i have found over 1000 dollars in clad and several dollars in silver and quite a few rings...plus a few thinks i wont tell about....lol..the things i have found have been mostly under 5 inches deep...i've missed targets i'm sure....but it has been a great machine to me..never had a problem in all these years with the machine at all....how many can say that???

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
thumper said:
gotta add my 2 cents in......im gettin ready to by a new machine, but i've been swinging a bh 2000 for several yrs.. bought it at a flea market for 35 bux i think it was....i have been using this machine for at least 8 yrs or so.....i have found over 1000 dollars in clad and several dollars in silver and quite a few rings...plus a few thinks i wont tell about....lol..the things i have found have been mostly under 5 inches deep...i've missed targets i'm sure....but it has been a great machine to me..never had a problem in all these years with the machine at all....how many can say that???
How many could say that............... I would say not many with so many that have to send there new detectors back for repairs......... More than once more than twice. and then again,...

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

This should give a good idea why most people avoid Bounty Hunters.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Olegrumpy said:
Buried coins and treasure do not know how much you paid for your metal detector. I found over 6.000 curent coins with my Compadre in 14 months of time.

So keep on the good job, you BH owners. They are great units, and we might stand for a surprise when FTP/BH will renew their current models.

HH

Grumpy.
That is the truth........... Those coins do not care what you paid for your detector they will still sound off when that coil goes over them no matter what you paid for your detector......... But a lot think that the more you pay for a detector the better it is...... And that is just not true........

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here is my input on cheaper detectors. I never had a BH, but had and still have an old coinmaster 3. Bought it used, and it still cost a lot, for me at least. Anyway, bought it for a project, and cracked the coil, so had to buy a new one, but I have used it for many years, and learned about detecting, digging, where to detect, and everything that goes with detecting. A friend had an Excalibur, and we hunted the same beaches, in Thailand. He found a few more coins than me, but not much. Now I also have an Excalibur, but finding even less coins than I did before. Of course most of the problem is I havent learned to use it properly yet, but with the coinmaster, I just dug every signal, in the dry sand, so found more, now im
trying not to dig every bottle cap on the beach. The coinmaster went down to about 4", so easy to dig, the Excalibur, goes down Forever, so I find myself digging in hard packed wet sand, down to 50cm, and then its a screw cap! The end result is being very tired, and sometimes cutting my hunting time in half. I am finding some older coins now with the Excal, they are not valuable, but give me a clue, that I am finding stuff deeper, that others have missed.

If my first machine would have been an Excal, I might have given up, so a cheaper and easier to use machine is the only way to start this hobby. As with any hobby, those wanting to start out with only the best, usually give it up, fast. When someone says they dont have the tools to do a job, it usually means they dont have the know-how. I just wish I knew about Wallys and BH, years ago, it would have been a lot more successful start. Its just natural that if your in a cheap store, and you see a metal detector in a cheap box, then it much be cheap!!

Coldshot

Mar 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a brand new bounty hunter platinum and live on a border town of the Cherokee reservation which is extremly rocky soil. I do not get accurate reading's the ground balance is hard if not impossible to keep, I also have a vintage whites series 3 coinmaster 1000 and have so much better result's. doesnt tell what it is your on or how deep it is but after adjusting to the meter it didnt take to long to work out when to dig and when not to. But since I am disabled and have nothing better to do I dig it all, never know what might be further under the trash you dig. Not knocking bounty hunter in better soil it might just rock but here whites is the real deal. Good luck and Happy Digging....Danny

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This should give a good idea why most people avoid Bounty Hunters.

Wow! That detector isn't the 505 that's a version of the tracker. That's a low end bounty hunter and I think he's swinging too fast. I have the 505 and the tracker and I think the 505 is a very big improvement over the tracker. 505 has ground balance and it has 3 tones. Also has the notch and auto notch. No doubt my 505 will hit deeper targets then my tracker. By 2-4 inches on quarter. I can hit quarter at 10-12 inches with 505 and 6-8 with tracker.

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
How many could say that............... I would say not many with so many that have to send there new detectors back for repairs......... More than once more than twice. and then again,...

Well, sometimes ya just let 'em slide, and other times they irritate ya just enough to post and get it set straight.

Cmon, Keppy, the return rate on Bounty Hunter metal detectors is less than 1%, and has been ever since I redesigned 'em 8-9 years ago! In the particular case of the TK4, return rate was already so low that there was no reason for me to redesign it.

Back in the 80's, BH used to be a respected trademark. Then the collapse of the "old Teknetics", Turner bought 'em out, and through shockingly bad manufacturing practices they turned BH into junk. Ruined the reputation of the machines when in fact the machines were pretty good designs for the time, being traceable to George Payne. When Tom bought BH from the Turners, he immediately started using 20th century manufacturing procedures which got the return rate below 2% even before I showed up. Of course nowadays we're using 21st century manufacturing methods.

BH, Teknetics, Fisher: nowadays same engineers, same people building them under the same roof.

--Dave J.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i wish they would buy the garrett ace's and paint them a different color and put on a faceplate that is not made by mattel

Last edited:

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is Bounty Hunters got some nice models that will find the goods. Sure maybee it's not a fancy Minelab that costs 1000 dollars but I can guarrantee you price is not always the key factor. It's simplicity sensitivity to coins and gold good pinpointing ability weight decent depth for the the money and good battery life. It just like the car theory . A Mercedes will cost you 30 grand and a Honda 15 grand . Is the Honda as good as the Mercedes ? Sure in many cases it will be you just won't get the awes ad the oos it's a Mercedes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
H-e-r-e they come!

It’s “The Elitists” leading on the rail by three CTX 3030 lengths, followed by “Less Arrogant Guys with E-tracs,” and “Old Experienced Guys with VLFs” in third. “Greenhorn’s with Multi-Freqs” is battling “Joe Ace 250” for fourth, while “Terry Tesoro” trails the field!

Now “Less Arrogant Guys with E-tracs” is moving up to challenge “The Elitists” for the lead and they are really going at it folks! Here comes “Terry Tesoro,” passing “Joe Ace 250” and “Greenhorn’s with Multi-Freqs” on the outside! “Old Experienced Guys with VLFs” moves up neck and neck with “Less Arrogant Guys with E-tracs,” and “The Elitists” continue to set the pace.

Oh my what a race folks! In an unlikely turn of events “Guy with the Best Luck that Day” has overtaken “Greenhorn’s with Multi-Freqs.” “Joe Ace 250,” and “Terry Tesoro,” are making up ground fast, and just passed “Less Arrogant Guys with E-tracs” - Unbelievable!

“Guy with the Best Luck that Day” and “Bounty Hunter Guy” just passed “Less Arrogant Guys with E-tracs,” and are gaining on “Old Experienced Guys with VLFs” and “The Elitists!” Hold on to your hats Boys and Girls, because this race ain’t over yet!

And Down The Stretch They Come!

:laughing7:

chenty

Nov 4, 2012
missouri
Detector(s) used
BT IV, ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing what I can afford:thumbsup: I look forward to it every wknd. I get to hang out with my kids....most of the time.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT THE JONES ARE SWINGING!

If my lively hood depended on it I would buy that.... $15,000+ MD

To each there own....BUT...I'm just having some fun, and if I find something cool along the way
that is a bounes....

We just found a Pokemon token the other day, MAN YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LOOK ON MY SONS FACE..... PRICELESS!

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing what I can afford:thumbsup: I look forward to it every wknd. I get to hang out with my kids....most of the time.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT THE JONES ARE SWINGING!

If my lively hood depended on it I would buy that.... $15,000+ MD

To each there own....BUT...I'm just having some fun, and if I find something cool along the way
that is a bounes....

We just found a Pokemon token the other day, MAN YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LOOK ON MY SONS FACE..... PRICELESS!

Thats awesome!

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jibb said:
Thats awesome!

That's what it's all about the thrill of the hunt weather your swinging a rolls Royce or a ford

Last edited:

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I am new here, So I am not really quite certain why people put down another persons metal detector? Could it be a elite thing, mine cost more so it is better then yours? I have other hobbies too I am an Bow hunter and archery enthusiast and Ham radio operator. One thing I have seen over the years I have been doing archery and ham radio is no one in those hobbies ever puts down another persons bow or radio. Here is why 1 it might be the only thing the person could afford. 2 that person maybe quite happy with what they have. 3 it does for them what they want to get out of their hobby. I read this post and I have to scratch my head wondering why the disrespect to one's piece of equipment. Having some one who may have just bought it and is excited may read a thread like this and become discouraged with the hobby.
Just my .25 cents worth adjusted for inflation of my regular .2cents worth.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, sometimes ya just let 'em slide, and other times they irritate ya just enough to post and get it set straight.

Cmon, Keppy, the return rate on Bounty Hunter metal detectors is less than 1%, and has been ever since I redesigned 'em 8-9 years ago! In the particular case of the TK4, return rate was already so low that there was no reason for me to redesign it.

Back in the 80's, BH used to be a respected trademark. Then the collapse of the "old Teknetics", Turner bought 'em out, and through shockingly bad manufacturing practices they turned BH into junk. Ruined the reputation of the machines when in fact the machines were pretty good designs for the time, being traceable to George Payne. When Tom bought BH from the Turners, he immediately started using 20th century manufacturing procedures which got the return rate below 2% even before I showed up. Of course nowadays we're using 21st century manufacturing methods.

BH, Teknetics, Fisher: nowadays same engineers, same people building them under the same roof.

--Dave J.
....Woof , i was talking about the lower end ..Garretts , Fishers , Whites , Tesoros ,Teks , & minelabs.. ...... I do not put bounty hunter with them , I always thought of bounty hunter as a childs detector

Last edited:

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
....Woof , i was talking about the lower end ..Garretts , Fishers , Whites , Tesoros ,Teks , & minelabs.. ...... I do not put bounty hunter with them , I always thought of bounty hunter as a childs detector
Wow,, you only use "top name brand detectors " We are really impressed... Thanks for sharing .You and I have a lot in common, I only use KOHLER® Toilets -

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread