Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this little thing a few weeks ago at a field with adjacent homesites that (based on the maps and other finds) span roughly from the 1830s to 1880s or 90s. IH for scale. Any ideas on what it is? I'm stumped.
IMG_3728.jpg IMG_3729.jpg IMG_3727.jpg

Some other finds from the site: The crotal bell is marked Barton and Starr and it's my first with a maker!
IMG_3660.JPG

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty ornate. Kind of looks like a transom window adjuster but the ends are a little pointy. Do any parts move? Has kind of a toggle look to it but fairly fancy for that use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this picture the arrow points to a pivot point (I don't know what else to call it) and I drew a red bracket next to where it looks like it broke. IMG_3728 copy.jpg

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cork screw with the screw missing :dontknow:

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first picture the curved piece looks like it has worn feathers and maybe a bird head/beak on one end. IDK what purpose it served.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First picture: Please take/post a picture with the camera aiming down the shaft (in the direction of the blue arrow). Does there appear to be a hole or broken off screw there? Is the piece broken at the yellow arrow?

Second picture: Does the white arrow point to chrome plating?

Wonder if it is made of pot metal....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
invent4hr, sorry about the bad picture but I'm pretty terrible at photography and it's the best I can get. The part next to the blue arrow doesn't seem to have any screw or hole but on the backside (the side closest to the IH in the picture you modified) it does appear as if something broke off. It does not look to be broken at the yellow arrow.
IMG_3745.JPG
The whole thing appears to be coated in a silvery metal (not sure if it is chrome or silver), the white arrow is just pointing to the section of it that caught the light of my lamp but everywhere that is not the reddish brown color is coated.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noah_D, the last picture looks good. Still stumped. It looks like to operate what ever it was attached to, you'd move the stem (blue arrow) clockwise or counter-clockwise. That would cause the broken off bracket to move up/down slightly. The ornate design may help others narrow the date range. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is part of was called a "Sewing bird". I found one a couple years ago. It was clamped to the table and had a 2nd part that was spring loaded, like a bird's beak, to hold the fabric taught so it could be stitched.

H1078-L134467957.jpg

M145SewingBird2.jpg

sewing+bird+3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800