When did you first become..........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, but before I go on, what was your old address and is that tree still there :P

I guess it's in every boys genes from the beginning, watching TV with tales of pirates and buried treasure. That also includes those whether or not they ever got in metal detecting. I am a late bloomer and only started 2 years ago. I love the hobby, but I really don't take it all that seriously and that is a shame. Yes, I would love to find some old relics, coins, etc., but I really don't feel like spending the time researching. I guess I'm just happy if I luck upon something and I'll keep anything of value.

I guess the other part of the equation is that I don't have anyone in this area to spend the day with. Not that I mind going out on my own which I do anyway, it would just be nice to have someone to joke around with. Oh well, c'est la vie :laughing7:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
As a kid , immersed in stories of pirate treasure and rumors of hidden hoards ........
And then there was this old 'Granny Woman' that lived with the neighbors until "her time"......
She liked her drink and when we could 'poach' a bit for her , she would regale us with her tale of being a 'hired girl' to a wealthy man and his family at the turn of the century .
She told us kids of a wealthy man that kept his gold coin in an Arbuckle's coffee can . He gave her
one of those coins to be allowed to put his hand 'up under'her dress and promised more for 'better
things'.
Word reached the house one evening that robbers would be coming to the house that night and the old man rushed out with his coffee can of gold coins .
An hour later , he returned , out of breath , and dropped dead on the parlor floor from a heart attack .
Grand fantasy , I know , except that she would pull out this gold coin from her bosom on a leather thong that she had hung on to for her 'buryin money'.
When she passed , she was sent off in fine style by the folks that she had lived out her days with .
I've verified much of her story in later years and am still looking for the Arbuckle's can .

B

BigDan

I've always been interested in treasure hunting

I can't recall a sudden "urge" to find stuff. I've just always had it. I must have lost something when I was little...I don't know.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I've always been interested in treasure hunting

BigDan said:
I can't recall a sudden "urge" to find stuff. I've just always had it. I must have lost something when I was little...I don't know.

Isn't it strange, or perhaps it's just me, but it seems we are all born with different instincts and personalities, or should I say unique spirits and souls. And I think that's the real challenge in life, to not allow the little pieces of yourself to be traded away by all the temptations and promises we encounter through life. I think it's extremely important that we remain well connected to who we really are, which can be easily lost sometimes as we advance through life. :dontknow:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
all my life. I guess I was considred a "dreamer"

And I agree, it's beyond important to be your authentic self.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
4th grade, we took a trip up to Columbia California and toured the mines and panned for gold. They told us about the miners, and how there was still lots of gold in the hills. They had displays of mining relics, and said that miners were notorious for burying their equipment and goods so that another miner wouldn't steal them. I was hooked!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
My first treasure hunting venture was digging coins out from under the washers and dryers with a metal clothes hanger at the local laundromat. The guy that owned it let me dig them out as long as I swept the floor for him when I was done (I always got a can of pop and a candy bar too ) My Mom loved it, it kept me from bugging her while she did the wash. I started doing this when I was probably 5 or 6 years old. I guess I've been digging for coins a lot longer then I thought, lol.

HH Charlie

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
First I can remember was when I was about 5. There was this game show on TV where (best as I can remember) the set was an island and people would run around and dig and look under things to find "treasure". I have no idea what the show was called or how long it ran but I do remember being totally fascinated with being able to find treasure.

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
....My uncle bought me a metal detector that came in a kit. He helped me put it together and get it working. I don't remember finding much treasure with it but I remember helping a friend find his glasses in the snow. I was hooked. And like Bigscoop I remember burying a jar of coins in my back yard so I could find them later, now if my parents still owned that house I'd be in good shape. Now I'm just waiting on a for sale sign to go up in their yard.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.B. and Dylan said:
First I can remember was when I was about 5. There was this game show on TV where (best as I can remember) the set was an island and people would run around and dig and look under things to find "treasure". I have no idea what the show was called or how long it ran but I do remember being totally fascinated with being able to find treasure.

That show was "Treasure Hunt" and I love the set they would build for every show. There were shows like that from the 50's the one you are talking about I think was in the 70's

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Collected coins as a kid. Read article in local paper about man with detector finding 1909-SVDB penny. Best wishes, George (MN)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
My Pop had a buddy that wanted to detect our yard when I was about 10. Id never seen or heard of a detector but I followed him around the yard watching him dig coins, probably drove him nuts with all the stupid questions. Come to think of it he didnt stay very long, probably came back when I was in school. That started the fascination, didnt get a machine for over 30 years. :dontknow:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 7 or 8 years old my grandma told me stories about the Cave with the Iron Door, 17 mule loads of gold, and certain treasure signs near Payne's Lake in Caddo Co. OK. I had a great-great uncle, Hiram McLane, who spent many years looking for Bob Herring's loot around Flat Top Mt. in SW OK, and other rumored treasure spots in the Wichita Mts. So I was exposed to it from birth. Uncle Hi, a Scotsman and excellent fiddle player, would turn flips to know that I have a DFX, as he never used or could afford a detector in those days.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it was in 1972 when a guy was detecting in a school yard during the summer when I was there playing there in Vancouver. I walked up shyly and asked a few questions and did not disturb him and he was showing me what he was finding!!!!! I was very interested in getting a detector from that day on!!! I have always loved history!!!! Why did I wait for so long to get my first detector!!!! first one Purchased by Red for My birthday 2 years ago Now I'm 45 years Old!!! 45 - 7 = 38 years O well I'm having a blast now!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread