When i am Magnet fishing i use

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1500 pound pull Magnet. The ones i have are about 4 inches in dia. The attachment loop is on one side of the magnet in the center. Now what i do is take a 20 ounce plastic coke bottle and zip tie it to the Magnet loop. Then i adjustr the amount of water in the bottle so when i bump my rope it walks down river about 1 to 2 feet staying flat tol the bottom I can drop my magnet straight down and walk it down rivers :) It really works great :) if i cAN GET TO MY BARN I WILL take pictures of it when i feel better. I do NOT have to throw it down river and i can send it where EVER I WANT !!!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1500 pound pull Magnet. The ones i have are about 4 inches in dia. The attachment loop is on one side of the magnet in the center. Now what i do is take a 20 ounce plastic coke bottle and zip tie it to the Magnet loop. Then i adjustr the amount of water in the bottle so when i bump my rope it walks down river about 1 to 2 feet staying flat tol the bottom I can drop my magnet straight down and walk it down rivers :) It really works great :) if i cAN GET TO MY BARN I WILL take pictures of it when i feel better. I do NOT have to throw it down river and i can send it where EVER I WANT !!!
Great idea, Gare. Thanks for the information.

1500 pull magnet? Now that is a strong magnet.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the reports as you have adventures. I have been into the MFishing several years and 1200 is my biggest. I use it with care cuz it is very easy to get it stuck of a flat metal surface and very hard to remove. Use care around bridge legs and such.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the reports as you have adventures. I have been into the MFishing several years and 1200 is my biggest. I use it with care cuz it is very easy to get it stuck of a flat metal surface and very hard to remove. Use care around bridge legs and such.
What is the diameter of your magnet, bowwinkles?

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me also add . Dependng on how swift the river determines also the amount of air i leave in the bottle. Make sure you have enough rope to attach it to your vehicle to pull it off the bridges LOL VOICE of EXPERIENCE ~~

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another method of MFishing with an extendable aluminum pool cleaning pole (12 ft) with a magnet mounted on the end with a bracket I built. I use this as a probe ( where the water is not so deep along side of a dock) I just walk the edge and probe a path on the bottom that is about 3-4 ft wide. Most of the things lost are between the boats and the dock so it has been a real good place to hunt. I have found maybe a several large buckets full of multi tools, knives, cell phones, flashlights, fishing poles, tackle boxes , and other assorted items. Trolling motors and ankers and hand tools (hammers/wrenches) have also been found.. good luck

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another method of MFishing with an extendable aluminum pool cleaning pole (12 ft) with a magnet mounted on the end with a bracket I built. I use this as a probe ( where the water is not so deep along side of a dock) I just walk the edge and probe a path on the bottom that is about 3-4 ft wide. Most of the things lost are between the boats and the dock so it has been a real good place to hunt. I have found maybe a several large buckets full of multi tools, knives, cell phones, flashlights, fishing poles, tackle boxes , and other assorted items. Trolling motors and ankers and hand tools (hammers/wrenches) have also been found.. good luck
Good idea that. I was going to get some aluminum conduit, but I will get a pool cleaning pole. Thanks.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnet1.jpg
Magnet2.jpg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This magnet is 5 inches across the face. As you can see i squeezed some air out of the bottle to control buoyancy It works great try it and please report back. At first i added water then thought why not just remove some air.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This magnet is 5 inches across the face. As you can see i squeezed some air out of the bottle to control buoyancy It works great try it and please report back. At first i added water then thought why not just remove some air.
Thanks for sharing, Gare!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectorguy

Jan 10, 2013
Sacramento Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Xp
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went magnet fishing ( first time) with a 1200 pound pull magnet. Got it stuck under the pier, could not pull it straight off from the angle it was attached. We had to take part of the pier apart to slide the magnet off. ( I think we spent just as much time taking the pier apart, then putting it back together as we did magnet fishing)
Going to take it back out later this month see what I find :)

I like the idea of the coke bottle.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went magnet fishing ( first time) with a 1200 pound pull magnet. Got it stuck under the pier, could not pull it straight off from the angle it was attached. We had to take part of the pier apart to slide the magnet off. ( I think we spent just as much time taking the pier apart, then putting it back together as we did magnet fishing)
Going to take it back out later this month see what I find :)

I like the idea of the coke bottle.
There is a definite amount of education associated with the trips out and the metal pier was one that I also encountered but was fortunate that my magnet was within reach of my shovel blade and I was able to pry it loose. Watch out for those sunken
Volkswagens they can also present a problem.:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread