ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99.9% sure this is an Iron Knife.
It feels heavy & when held it seems to be balanced in a way that it tends towards a downward force. Makes think maybe for butchery? So I'm not sure it's proper name or use.
I don't know if it's 200 years old or 2000.
What catches my eye is the slightly off-centre square pommel which I have no idea how they forged that one, must of been tough as I see no joins.

Any ideas?

1a.JPG
1b.JPG
1c.JPG
1d.JPG
1e.JPG
1f.JPG

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a cool find! To me that knife appears to made in 1500-1600's possibly older. To me also it has a Roman look to it. I make & collect knives soo I'll have to do some digging on this 1. Very cool find!!! If it could be put in a mild electrolysis & see how pommel is attached will say/give a lot of info on the knife.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool find! To me that knife appears to made in 1500-1600's possibly older. To me also it has a Roman look to it. I make & collect knives soo I'll have to do some digging on this 1. Very cool find!!! If it could be put in a mild electrolysis & see how pommel is attached will say/give a lot of info on the knife.
Yeah, it stumped me, if Roman (& I didn't want to jump the gun), it would be a super rare find. I keep flip-flopping all over the place. Medieval seems believable as well.
I will do some electrolysis when it dries out.

Upvote 3

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know anyone with a xrf gun? If Roman I would think it be bronze. If it was of the iron age it be black and not rusting, as pure iron doesn't rust. The swords commonly in use in Europe in the Middle Ages were made of steel. Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, and iron heated properly over a charcoal fire becomes steel.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you do not know the exact date it is a general term that means "very old":clock:
Vintage does not mean "very old" is a phrase that can apply to any item, as wine, cabbage patch doll.

"When an antique dealer uses the word “vintage” to describe an item it actually reveals nothing about that item unless it is used with a date or even an era. To describe something as “a vintage 1865 photograph,” “a vintage late-Victorian settee” or “a vintage 1983 Cabbage Patch Doll” tells us quite a bit if you are familiar with photographs, Victorian furniture or Cabbage Patch Dolls. The word “vintage” alone tells us not much. If you plan on using the word “vintage” to describe items in your stock, remember that the word is incomplete and uninformative without a date."

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find that is for sure :)

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread