Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 claims I own and will be testing , the first is near Happy Camp, Ca and the second is near Sawyers Bar , Ca. , asking from those who live in the area when is the best time to visit the area to avoid any forest fires. Thanks
Normally I’d say first part of July…but with this drought and non-existent snow pack…middle of June or a tad earlier? I’d watch the Somes Bar river gauge on the salmon to get an idea on the flows. River will be warming up early this year. Going to be 80 degrees over there this week! They are telling us now that fire season is year round. Crazy.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little farther south and east, we normally get started in May depending on the Sierra snow. There have already been fires in the Shasta area.

Jason ball

Aug 31, 2021
Redding California
Detector(s) used
Gold monster 1000 and Garrett gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have 2 claims I own and will be testing , the first is near Happy Camp, Ca and the second is near Sawyers Bar , Ca. , asking from those who live in the area when is the best time to visit the area to avoid any forest fires. Thanks
Hello there. I live in redding ca . I was just over on the trinity just passed Weaverville this last weekend with my old Monster 1000 and killed it. Now is the time to get over there there's no fires the water's nice and down it's perfect time. I did a lot of gold panning over by Hoopa on the reservation over there and all around that area. If you can't go wrong there is good color up and down Trinity River. Wish I wasnt working I would be over there now. Here is what I pulled In a full day. Maybe will cross paths over there one day. Good luck and keep your coil to the soil
16478748202483563969319608556815.jpg

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Jason, head on down now if you can.

I’m just over the hill on the coast and plan on going over from time to time as soon as the pass over Greyback, from O’Brien, Or. to Happy Camp is open from snow pack.

It will be a little cold and possibly rainy at times but certainly good enough to chase the gold.

I will head that way to cut next winters firewood and find a little gold soon I hope.

Good hunting et.

Mike

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all your replies, not able to go now because of work oblgations. Looks like late June will be my time .

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your replies, not able to go now because of work oblgations. Looks like late June will be my time .
Should be very nice weather towards the end of June. We are usually swimming in the main stem of the salmon river comfortably by July 4th. It normally would still be chilly waters up by Sawyers Bar, but low snowpack will likely mean warmer waters.

“Klamath National Forest’s snowpack is now at 32% of the historic average for snow height and 34% of the historic average for snow water equivalent (SWE).” Last year was 68% of the historic average

Last year the Salmon river fires started on July 30th. Happy Camp Complex started on August 12th. Thats generally when we get significant lightning storms. Takes them awhile to nurse them into river to divide monster fires.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always check those rusty rocks top piece 27.5 grams right 9.5 grams left side 7 grams.

Attachments

• P3220399.JPG
    P3220399.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 45
  • P3220401.JPG
    P3220401.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 42

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always check those rusty rocks top piece 27.5 grams right 9.5 grams left side 7 grams.
Great finds. How about a little context though such as found with a detector in a waste dump or whatever.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the weight the gold content in you pieces ?
My eyes aren't real good so I can't tell from a pic unless it's real shiny.
Gt ..

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the weight the gold content in you pieces ?
My eyes aren't real good so I can't tell from a pic unless it's real shiny.
Gt ..
When they are like that the quartz weight is valued same as the gold and would probably be a very small percentage of the net weight. it least that’s been my experience. In other words it’s such a great piece it would easily get spot price for the entire weight including the quartz.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt Tresure year-round in N. California I'm always looking down.
Me too, I was just giving the best time to show up if you only have one trip a year and you wanted to avoid the smoke and road closures. Personally really like it over there in September, but settle for going over there anytime it suits my fancy. ; )

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When they are like that the quartz weight is valued same as the gold and would probably be a very small percentage of the net weight. it least that’s been my experience. In other words it’s such a great piece it would easily get spot price for the entire weight including the quartz.
I understand how the pricing goes, I was asking the gold content of the rocks, just was wondering as most folks like to know the amount in the piece, I always try figure out how much metal I have in the gold quarzt I find.
Unfortunately I can never afford to wait for a speci buyer,
One reason I joined here at tnet was to try get a gold buyer but never had any takers....
Gt....

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always started about now but be prepared for higher water if new r the river. remeber anyhting above the Salmon is controlled by Iron Gate so they can (and will) release more or less water as the narrative requires regaurdless of run off. I have stayed as late as October.

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Me too, I was just giving the best time to show up if you only have one trip a year and you wanted to avoid the smoke and road closures. Personally really like it over there in September, but settle for going over there anytime it suits my fancy. ; )
I made the mistake going down to my first claim on the Salmon river 5 years ago in September and not knowing about checking if there is a forest fire in the area I was going was a mistake. Driving from just north of Seattle all went well until I came to the turnoff at the mouth of the salmon river to go the Oak Bottom camp ground and ran into a blockade, 14hours at that moment of driving, was informed that there was forest 5 miles up river but the camp ground was still open, set up camp in heavy smoke . Only lasted one more day, 104 degrees plus heavy smoke was too much for me but that beer sitting in the cooler on ice for 14 hour was the best I ever had.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the mistake going down to my first claim on the Salmon river 5 years ago in September and not knowing about checking if there is a forest fire in the area I was going was a mistake. Driving from just north of Seattle all went well until I came to the turnoff at the mouth of the salmon river to go the Oak Bottom camp ground and ran into a blockade, 14hours at that moment of driving, was informed that there was forest 5 miles up river but the camp ground was still open, set up camp in heavy smoke . Only lasted one more day, 104 degrees plus heavy smoke was too much for me but that beer sitting in the cooler on ice for 14 hour was the best I ever had.
If fires are threatening our place, we will usually get in early before the blockade is set up and stay there running sprinklers, cutting more brush back, ect. usually a couple weeks every other year! The fires have burned within shooting distance or closer more than once. Spent many summers on the river with heavy smoke hanging in the canyon. It’s just the last couple years that they have shut down the entire forest when they are backfiring the country. We still usually sneak out and do some mining or relic hunting while the area is closed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions