When it rains it pours!

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the year 2022, my finds had been pretty average, but I’d never really found anything of any significance. This year brought a whole new meaning to the term, “when it rains it pours.” I found my second civil war button Ive ever found today. A pretty decent VMI Cadet button found only a few steps from where my first confederate cavalry button was found. Since there is so much iron around, I decided to try a new tactic on this very trashy house seat. I chose to just dig out the entire artifact layer and carry it in a bucket to a less-iron-covered area, spread the dirt out, and started searching. I found more in the last two weekends than Ive found in a very long time. A wide selection of finds, ranging from oyster shell buttons to silver plated spoons. I’ve really been blessed to be able to hunt these incredible homesteads!

Attachments

• B4863EA2-330D-4DF5-B55F-7B73B7E494A3.jpeg
    B4863EA2-330D-4DF5-B55F-7B73B7E494A3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 363
  • 14D55E51-F905-49AB-8508-F8404ECFCEAD.jpeg
    14D55E51-F905-49AB-8508-F8404ECFCEAD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 229
  • 8EC33891-2A15-4447-AF5D-69F27EA079B2.jpeg
    8EC33891-2A15-4447-AF5D-69F27EA079B2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
  • 54A39111-80B0-4235-A1E5-FE6F1434B179.jpeg
    54A39111-80B0-4235-A1E5-FE6F1434B179.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 186
  • FF1927A6-7806-49AF-9878-25EBC9D791B5.jpeg
    FF1927A6-7806-49AF-9878-25EBC9D791B5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 232
Upvote 39

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the year 2022, my finds had been pretty average, but I’d never really found anything of any significance. This year brought a whole new meaning to the term, “when it rains it pours.” I found my second civil war button Ive ever found today. A pretty decent VMI Cadet button found only a few steps from where my first confederate cavalry button was found. Since there is so much iron around, I decided to try a new tactic on this very trashy house seat. I chose to just dig out the entire artifact layer and carry it in a bucket to a less-iron-covered area, spread the dirt out, and started searching. I found more in the last two weekends than Ive found in a very long time. A wide selection of finds, ranging from oyster shell buttons to silver plated spoons. I’ve really been blessed to be able to hunt these incredible homesteads!
Is that someone's teeth and jaw bone fragments?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Nathan! Persistence pays off.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get my sifter out and all of those artifacts would be easier to locate. .Learn to identify older layers from younger ones by knowing what they represent....such as pearlware shards and Prosser buttons which I spy in your photos.you won't find them with a detector but they are great age Indictators for a site. It looks like a strake rivet in the one photo, the holed diamond piece. Those indicate boat construction if that is what it is.... Nice finds though, keep posting them:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on going through the dirt so thoroughly as it's the only way sometimes.
Liking the age of some of the pieces of the dish/pottery.(at the end of the spoon handle)

I have a heavy iron site, and can dig lbs of iron out no problem as it was a blacksmithing location as well as a scrap farm machinery location.
I dug out a small section 2x2x1.5ft sifted at put the glass in a bucket. Just washed it up a tad as I came across it again.
Interesting thing was I see the evidence of the blackening on the dish fragments and some melted glass.
With large amount of sq. nails involved, I'm now assuming the structure succumbed to a fire.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great looking button. Congratulations!

OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure did! I was pulling up at least two new relics each bucket of Soil that Id remove. The best part is, that was only in a small 3x3 ft square, when the house seat is much larger than that. I’ve still got a long ways to go! I’ll be sure to keep everybody posted if I find anything else of shear significance.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure did! I was pulling up at least two new relics each bucket of Soil that Id remove. The best part is, that was only in a small 3x3 ft square, when the house seat is much larger than that. I’ve still got a long ways to go! I’ll be sure to keep everybody posted if I find anything else of shear significance.
Fortune favors the brave.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunted Northern Virginia hard for several years never found any type of Virginia button, not an easy find! Good for you on trenching that ironpile, definitely a good tactic on a trashy colonial site.

Jeff(or)

May 17, 2007
WTG! great finds!

Jeff

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves! love those buttons

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread