WHERE CAN I FIND GOLD AND SILVER ORE PICTURES?

tylerderden

Newbie
Jan 2, 2006
2
0
Hey all, this is my first post. I have been digging since I am about 7 - first for bottles, them rock, gems, etc I am currently traveling around the west looking for a new home base and trying to prospect as much as possible. Being from the east I dont have any exp with gold ore or silver ore. I know what "gold" looks like, but not when it is mixed in an ore (at least from what I understand reading) also same with silver. I think I found some silver today in INYO cty but couldnt take it with me, have to see if I can get it tomorrow. Is silver black when exposed?= to the elements like silver tarnish? any books would help too! thanks, CB
 

feralmitch

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2005
8
0
N. California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CB,
? ?At any local library seek out the "Referance Librain" and ask for help to find books on this subject. One book you might find help full to start with is "Simon & Schusters: Rocks & Mineral Guide" ( I'm sure I have misspelled the second name and this may not be the exact title either, but it is a rock and mineral field referance).
? Silver in ores can be covered with many masking materials, including Black. Crack suspected ore with your rock hammer. A jeweler's lens is very helpful as is a pocket microscope.
Here is a sample of two quick searches on just one website, and you can put in yuor own search for "ores of silver" and "silver ores" (I'm doing this to just to help you learn how to do this yourself). ;)
http://mineral.galleries.com/scripts/search.exe?ores+of+gold
http://mineral.galleries.com/scripts/search.exe?sulfides
? If you have any problems post back up here, and I'll try to help, but I'll be back in the "Feild" soon and my replys will be slow and long in between.
? Oh ,a few more things are to look for Prospecting Clubs and Rockhound Clubs in the areas you visit. Talk with locals in towns you go to to find Old Timers, prospectors, rockhounds,historians, etc., etc.,etc,. Rock Shops and Prospecting Shop are good to hang out at, ask questions,LOTS of Questions, etc..
? ? ? ? ? Best Of Skill To You,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Mitch
 

aussco999

Jr. Member
Dec 25, 2003
67
39
Texas
Hey Tylerderden:

I don't mean to complicate your search for pictures of gold ores, but there are 18 different minerals of gold bearing ores (auriferous), and several native metal alloys (electrum, iridic, cuproauride), and you need to be really up on your geological knowledge to identify them in the field.

Almost everyone will recognize native gold in quartz, but after that, it gets a little tougher to know if you have a gold ore, or a piece of Leaverite. If you can't find the names of all 18 minerals of gold, let me know and I'll post them. Also, when you look for any info on these minerals in a standard reference book, they may be listed as "rare", but keep in mind that this info is based on the entire lithosphere (earth surface), and finding these gold bearing deposits (in the right location), is very common. BUT, finding the minerals in a large enough ore body to be profitable, is an other story.

Good luck,

John
 

nebraskadad

Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2005
287
9
tylerderden said:
Hey all, this is my first post. I have been digging since I am about 7 - first for bottles, them rock, gems, etc I am currently traveling around the west looking for a new home base and trying to prospect as much as possible. Being from the east I dont have any exp with gold ore or silver ore. I know what "gold" looks like, but not when it is mixed in an ore (at least from what I understand reading) also same with silver. I think I found some silver today in INYO cty but couldnt take it with me, have to see if I can get it tomorrow. Is silver black when exposed?= to the elements like silver tarnish? any books would help too! thanks, CB

here is an ore sample
 

Attachments

  • oresample2.jpg
    oresample2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 10,649

nebraskadad

Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2005
287
9
nebraskadad said:
tylerderden said:
Hey all, this is my first post. I have been digging since I am about 7 - first for bottles, them rock, gems, etc I am currently traveling around the west looking for a new home base and trying to prospect as much as possible. Being from the east I dont have any exp with gold ore or silver ore. I know what "gold" looks like, but not when it is mixed in an ore (at least from what I understand reading) also same with silver. I think I found some silver today in INYO cty but couldnt take it with me, have to see if I can get it tomorrow. Is silver black when exposed?= to the elements like silver tarnish? any books would help too! thanks, CB

here is an ore sample

another pic.
 

Attachments

  • oresample1.jpg
    oresample1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 9,832
  • oresample1.jpg
    oresample1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 9,495

MesaBuddy

Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2006
368
21
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Heres a nice chunk of Au , was found by some folks up at Moore Creek , Alaska this year
 

Attachments

  • MooreCreek34.jpg
    MooreCreek34.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 14,444

MesaBuddy

Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2006
368
21
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
and another , this gentleman cleaned house while he was up there ;D
 

Attachments

  • Glenn.jpg
    Glenn.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 14,509

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
1,402
68
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
You might want to buy a Mineral ID Kit.
One with samples !
&
There are good Rockhounding Books out,
A small pocket size one,
IE: "Rocks and Minerals" Golden Press Golden Field Guide Series
ISBN0-307-24499-7
A larger hardback Book/Guide
IE: "A Field Guide in Color to: Minerals, Rocks,and Precious Stones" Cathay Books
ISBNO 0-904644-18-9
Plus, numberous others of all sizes
Check with your bookdealer/internet/e-Bay, etc.!
 

Wild Boulder Bill

Full Member
Jan 5, 2005
201
8
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS I'LL SEND YOU SOME SANGRE DE CRISTO ORE. IF YOU FIND GOLD LIKE THESE GUYS ARE SHOWING YOU WON'T HAVE TO GUESS ABOUT IT. i GOT SOME REGULIAR ORE. tHERE IS A GUY THAT SELLS SOME GOOD COLORADO PYRITIC ORE EVFER ONCE IN A WHILE ON EBAY. MINE IS NOT PYRITIC. bE GLAD TO HELP YOU OUT. wISH SOMEBODY HAD ME IN THE BEGGINNING. ONE TIME I HAULED A TRUCKLOAD OF CF&I STEEL SLAG HOME THINKING I HAD HIT THE MOTHERLOAD. tOOK ME ALL DAY TO LOAD IT THEN IT TOOK ME ALL DAY TO UNLOAD IT.LIVE AND LEARN :D
 

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
1,402
68
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
You Know??
The best place in Arizona to go..
IS!
The Arizona Museum of Mines and Minerals!

Located on Washington St..
A couple of Blocks from the State Capital Bldg!
They have all sorts books on mining/mineral/laws etc..
They have "services" (second Floor),
Mineral Maps & reports you name they'll have it!
The Mineral Display is really something to see!
It includes,
A SUPER, Ultraviolet (Black light) minerals display!
I could spend days in there ...
HEY! I have !!!! ;D
 

WetButte

Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2008
22
5
platdigger said:
NO WAY!.... Did you hit the mother load......or what?!

Sortof. It's a section of 700' by 300' (open at depth) of veins assaying .3 to 37 oz/ton (free milling gold). The previous owners recovered about 30,000 ounces from the upper 1', and I have found some very nice nuggets from it as well.

Part of a shear zone I traced for over 8 miles. And I found a zone of PGE that at first appeared to be (to previous observers) as the typical country rock, but in fact proved to be the source of the PGE in the district.
 

WetButte

Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2008
22
5
djui5 said:
When did you take that picture?

Could have been 1999, I'd have to check my notes.

Here's another on of a structure I found nearby (the rock hammer is for scale):
 

Attachments

  • veins3.jpg
    veins3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 11,377

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
1,807
291
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stunning. That's the stuff dreams are made of.

I asked about when you took them because I've seen those pictures floating around the net a lot.
 

WetButte

Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2008
22
5
djui5 said:
Stunning. That's the stuff dreams are made of.

I asked about when you took them because I've seen those pictures floating around the net a lot.

I've had several websites, and some sites ripped the pic off (I sent them a letter), also I have allowed some sites to use the images, such as wikipedia.

Here's another pic of some gold-bearing ore, not the best one (I have many more I'll be posting to my site shortly, and some will have to wait until the snow melts):
 

Attachments

  • gold_ore_01a.gif
    gold_ore_01a.gif
    237 KB · Views: 8,960

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top