Where do Folks Sell the Gold and Silver Jewelry They Find?

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have no idea where my fellow hobbyists typically sell their gold & silver finds--local pawn shops, jewelers, or mail away companies? Is there a different answer for gold, silver, jewelry with stones, etc.? Even though I have been metal detecting for over a decade, it is only now that my valuable finds have started to accumulate, making me curious about how to sell some of them.

I searched this website and couldn't find any starter's advice on selling valuable finds, but apologize in advance if I overlooked a source of information. I live in Southern California, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your feedback.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin shop I go to sells coins ,jewelry and they also buy gold and silver. They go by spot price they have a board that updates it by the minute so when you start your sale that will be the price they go off of. They payout at 85% of spot.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest way is what Back-of-the-boat says, just find a reputable coin seller. You'll never get full spot price and the sites you find online wont do you any better than a local buyer. Many of the online sites are looking for large quantities and are essentially recyclers. If you have any stones take them to a jeweler as the coin dealer probably wont pay for them.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell my finds? What a novel idea!

I've never sold anything, just goes in the safety deposit box for my kids when I cross over. The clad - I tumble them to clean up enough to spend - should I ever need to. I live a frugal life in retirement. I do prefer a good craft beer over the bubbly gut stuff.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell my finds? What a novel idea!

I've never sold anything, just goes in the safety deposit box for my kids when I cross over. The clad - I tumble them to clean up enough to spend - should I ever need to. I live a frugal life in retirement. I do prefer a good craft beer over the bubbly gut stuff.
Same here. Iā€™ve never understood that part of the hobby. If I were in this to make money, I seriously would reconsider my priorities (like getting a better paying or second job lol) but I have nothing against those that rush to sell everything they find. But ok, off my pedestal. As far as selling goes? Your best price will probably be eBay but I donā€™t trust all buyers not to pull a scam. My second choice, Craigslist where there are buyers that would gladly pay spot or better, myself included.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I save my silver coins, but have no interest in gold or silver jewelry, so I sell it.

I use Midwest Refineries in Michigan. They are easy to deal with, seem honest, and give much better prices than coin dealers or "cash for gold" sort of places.

I have also used ARA Recycling, I believe in Dallas. They give even better prices, but have become harder to deal with. They used to be my go to place, but they said they won't deal with small time people like detectorists anymore. I was grandfathered in to this policy, but then they said they would not deal with me. That said, I do know some other detectorists who still use them somehow. YMMV, of course.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make money from metal detecting! You made me squirt my soda through my nose! Seriously make money? A pipe dream.

Lammi

Greenie
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. Iā€™ve never understood that part of the hobby. If I were in this to make money, I seriously would reconsider my priorities (like getting a better paying or second job lol) but I have nothing against those that rush to sell everything they find. But ok, off my pedestal. As far as selling goes? Your best price will probably be eBay but I donā€™t trust all buyers not to pull a scam. My second choice, Craigslist where there are buyers that would gladly pay spot or better, myself included.
Iā€™m not in this to make money, maybe being single with no kids I think differently
I donā€™t understand people hanging onto everything, I say enjoy it while your here
i sell to get latest detectors go on a vacation ect
Hanging onto stuff till you die just never apeal to me
if it were my parents I would rather them use it for a cruise or ? rather than leaving it to me
i do keep some things I really like , and give a lot to family
everyone is different, whatever works for you
HH Lammi

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m not in this to make money, maybe being single with no kids I think differently
I donā€™t understand people hanging onto everything, I say enjoy it while your here
if it were my parents I would rather them use it for a cruise or ? rather than leaving it to me
HH Lammi
You don't say much, but when you došŸ‘šŸ’Ŗ

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To all of you who say they don't sell their finds, the guy didn't ask what you do with your finds. You are no help to him.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are precious mining refineries that will buy the gold from you, Midwest Refineries pays 95% for gold and 90% for silver is one, there is one in Orlando I can go to that gives 92-94% of the spot price of gold at the time it is melted down.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
HH Lammi
Yep, different strokes forā€¦nothing wrong with that at all. Iā€˜d honestly really have no reason to sell even if I were single, donā€™t need the money, retired young and I am enjoying it all while Iā€™m here. I have hundreds perhaps thousands of old coins and other relics found detecting, I like to look at the stuff, display it and at times daydream about where and when I found them. The memories of friends and the good times had while dirtfishingā€¦I canā€™t put a price tag on that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread