Where is my dunce cap?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
So, where is my dunce cap? I deserve it. I have long been curious where the Aztecs originated. Theories range from Utah, even to Israel. Here in Mexico, when they mention it, they suggest some lake in Mexico, near Guadalajara.

Yesterday, I was thinking about this, and had a great idea. The ancestral DNA companies often supply a migration map to customers, which tell you where your ancestors probably lived many thousands of years ago.

Some years ago, I paid to get an estimate of where my first female ancestor lived, and what her ancestry was. I have several siblings who are racist, and I hoped my first female ancestor was Zulu, like Oprah's. I wanted to see the look on their face when I gave them the good news. Hahaha.

But, no, she was probably Caucasion, around 50,000 years ago, in Eastern Europe. Rats!

These migration maps have been fine tuned over the years. With ancestry including French; Irish; German; and English, my map is a very busy one.

Anyway, I was thinking about all this, and it entered my mind that we need to get a person of Aztec ancestry and do their migration map, which should give us an idea where they came from.

I was thinking about the problems of finding a person of Aztec ancestry to give a sample, when my mind actually worked for a few seconds.

MY WIFE IS AZTEC, HER GREAT-GRANDMA WAS A MOCTEZUMA, AND WE DID HER ANCESTRY DNA IN EARLY 2020 WITH 23ANDME!

Dang!

I looked at her migration map. A lot of hits all over Mexico, with of course a heavy concentration around Tenochtitlan, but also color around Guadalajara. The hits in Mexico are not inconsistent with a people wandering around, starting in the Guadalajara area and gravitating south.

I am not sure how they develop the migration map. My theory is they look for DNA chains in the current population of an area which are the same as you have. Hits may tell them your ancestors lived there long ago. I am not sure, but that is my theory. If anyone can explain it better, feel free to chip in.

So, that lake near the ocean would produce a lot of hits in a nearby major city, but not much at the lake since there aren't currently many people there at best.

As is often the case with me, I have more questions than answers. Which is why it took me well over 30 years to decide Moctezuma's treasure is possibly near my property.

Of course, her map also included various locations in Europe etcetera, which makes sense since it is also known her ancestry probably includes an illegitimate son of Cortes, as well as Moctezuma I and Moctezuma II. And, there may have been other Europeans marrying into the family over that 500 years.

I will be examining this data a lot in the future.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I certainly understand that different people have different interests. That is simply normal human behavior. But, many people do have an interest in their ancestry, and many people have expressed an interest in the history of the Aztecs, especially on a thread about the Aztecs. Hahaha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread