wheres the gold

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
one of our claims near randsburg has fiddler wash come though it.on the side of it ,it has 8 -10 of sand,then a layer of caliche.some room to get under the caliche,then the wash.bed rock in this area is 300 to 500 feet down,i can believe the old times ,just dug straight down 300 plus feet,crazy.where should i try next,just on top of the caliche?
thanks brad

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say"gold is where you find it":)

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Caliche could be acting as a false bedrock layer try drywashing about 5 or 6" above the caliche & then vacuum clean.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi 1637, i drive by Randsberg twice a year and have wondered what they were mining around "Johannesberg" ? I wonder if you could get permission to poke around that area. Good luck.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
looks like most of them took the dirt to be processed some other place,one has a large tailing plie,but on someones claim.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
gold ,silver,platinum.zinc.i have access to about 1000 acres around that area,just have not found a place that i would go back to.i guess if it was easy.:unhappysmiley:
Hi 1637, i drive by Randsberg twice a year and have wondered what they were mining around "Johannesberg" ? I wonder if you could get permission to poke around that area. Good luck.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Between 1852-54 some old timers up here in Northern California outside Weaverville sunk a shaft close to 700 feet deep through placer material in search of an ancient channel.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between 1852-54 some old timers up here in Northern California outside Weaverville sunk a shaft close to 700 feet deep through placer material in search of an ancient channel.
Do you have a link to the story? I'd love to read it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have a link to the story? I'd love to read it.

Not sure if this is what his reference was but I did find some interesting reading for you.....google "weaverville ca deep channel placer gold deposits".

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is what his reference was but I did find some interesting reading for you.....google "weaverville ca deep channel placer gold deposits".
I've read the top couple search result articles but not seeing this exact story.... 700ft I NEED TO KNOW ,LMAO

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was called Syke's shaft. There isn't much information on it online I know about it from literature put out by the Trinity County historical society.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was called Syke's shaft. There isn't much information on it online I know about it from literature put out by the Trinity County historical society.
Searching Syke's shaft and Weaverville gets you a link to the Trinity Journal. Just 1 photo and a quick mention. 600ft by hand and pick!!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sykes1.jpg sykes2.jpg sykes3.jpg sykes4.jpg sykes5.jpg sykes6.jpg

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is interesting to think about that channel, I have been looking for property near Weaverville to settle down on maybe sink a shaft in the back yard? In the article it claimed no timbering or powder was needed thats crazy stuff, I know of a drift tunnel near where Dutton creek enters the Trinity where Lowden figured the channel rejoined the current Trinity River. There is no sign of timbering ever being present the material is very well cemented but some of the looming boulders overhead keeps me from venturing further, I wonder though. The story of Mr Smiley spreading a rumor that he salted his claim to save sharing the rich gravels he found down there with shareholders...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread