jimz49

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac and Explorer II, Fisher CZ-3D coming soon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided this year would be the year I'd get out more and hopefully find the enthusiasm I once had. I found a pretty good deal on an ORX and have been out with it a couple time.
My first hunt was on an open pasture field. The 11" coil that came with the ORX seemed perfect for the area and I really enjoyed the time detecting. Although, I'm learning the machine's tones, I didn't feel overwhelmed.
My second hunt was in the yard of an old house that dates well back into the 1800's. Big difference from the open pasture. The yard was polluted with iron and bits of other nonferrous targets. It seemed every swing of the coil was like machine gun fire. I was at a loss!!
I'm pretty sure I need another coil that will be more suited for those kind of sites. I've looked at XP's smaller coils, both X35 and HF. I like the idea of the 9.5" elliptical, but I'm not sure it's a good coin hunting coil, or the best overall choice for my type hunting (coin hunting).
So before I invest, I would like to hear what you have to say.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 11" X35 and 9" HF round coils for my Deus. The ORX is similar enough to assume the ORX will work the same with these coils.

My 19th century property had a blacksmith shop on it in the 1850s and the ground is completely full of rusty nails, iron scrap, slag, hot rocks, coke, and more modern iron and aluminum. Basically every kind of scrap you can imagine. Can't take a step without sweeping over multiple unwanted targets.

Although the Deus can be adjusted to a greater extent than the ORX, even using the basic programs without using any expert adjustments the 11" worked just as well as the 9" HF in finding coins and other small, non-ferrous items although the HF running at 59 kHz was able to find more very tiny (1/8" size) scraps of non-ferrous that the 11" X35 missed at the lower frequencies. I use the 11" most of time, either on my property or on cleaner fields and am very happy with the results.

I think you may just need to get used to understanding what you're hearing. I have no trouble knowing what to dig and what to ignore but that came with practice.

Since I've never used an ORX, if my comments are incorrect that it should behave the same as the Deus I'm sure someone will correct me.

OP
OP
J

jimz49

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Emil, thank you for the reply. I sure was hoping a smaller coil would be the answer. I really tried to pick up on any difference that each signal made so I could say "now I get it". But obviously I've got a lot yet to learn.
One question....why did you buy the 9"HF coil? Were you thinking the same as I, that a smaller coil would work better in high trash areas?

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I chose the 9" HF round because I wanted the added higher frequencies just to be able to find the really tiny targets. But the smaller size probably does make target separation easier. If target separation is what you're after the 9" HF elliptical would be your best bet. I personally don't have a problem with target separation using the 11" but that may be due to the added customizations available with the Deus vs the ORX.

If you haven't watched the YouTube videos by Gary Blackwell on the ORX you really should. He does a great job explaining and demonstrating both the ORX and Deus, and now the Deus 2.

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 9" HF round and it is excellent for hunting coins. A+ on target separation and does very well on depth. At least in my soil 9" coins are not out of the question. I have considered adding the 9" elliptical coil for hunting through stubble in the fields but I can't justify spending $300 for those few occasions I want to walk corn stalk fields. The 9" coil works just fine. On those really trashy sites when you have a good target sound if you wiggle the coil off the target and hear an iron grunt you be sure it's not a coin. That isn't to say I don't dig the targets anyway at old homes, but if I'm in a park I can call a bottle cap using this method 90% of the time.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use both 11 x35 and 9 HF elliptical They both hit coins "and everything else" hard at depth. Im sure the 9 in round HF is the same. As said in trashy areas the smaller coils are superior. You will get less chatter and EMI too.

OP
OP
J

jimz49

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'm going to look for a 9" HF coil just to give it a try. I too hate to spend $300+ on a coil. Maybe with the recent release of the Deus II there will be some reasonable buys on used Deus I coils/equipment.

OP
OP
J

jimz49

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a little follow-up to all the great advise that I received. I bought a 9" round HF coil yesterday and it's currently on it's way. Can't wait to give it a try in some of those difficult areas I described above. Will report back after I've had some field time with it and gain some more experience with the ORX. Fingers crossed.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'm going to look for a 9" HF coil just to give it a try. I too hate to spend $300+ on a coil. Maybe with the recent release of the Deus II there will be some reasonable buys on used Deus I coils/equipment.

Remember, with the ORX and Deus the coil isn't just a transmitter/receiver like other brand's coils. It actually contains the detector's signal processing electronics -- it's the main component of the detector. When you take that into consideration, $300 doesn't sound so bad.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, with the ORX and Deus the coil isn't just a transmitter/receiver like other brand's coils. It actually contains the detector's signal processing electronics -- it's the main component of the detector. When you take that into consideration, $300 doesn't sound so bad.
This ! A different coil is like getting multiple machines !

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This ! A different coil is like getting multiple machines !

True. After I got the HF coil I decided I might as well get another shaft. Now I have let my kids use my Deus without the backphones, so I can use them with the HF coil/shaft as a second machine. Then my wife uses the Apex and we can all detect together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread