Which detector to buy?

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
I live in the south central Oregon desert and the soil is rough ground for a vlf detector. The soil is made up of magnetic black sand,lots of it, and alkali dirt. I presently have a tesoro gold demon for the eastern Oregon gold fields and a old Whites 5500/D series 3 coin machine. They both work ok out here but you don't go beyond about 4 or 5 inches in depth in this ground. I am considering a new whites dfx, garrett infinium, minelab explorer 2 or the quatro. I will use this detector mainely around old homesteads that have a lot of trash and also out in the desert with little trash looking for relics. I want the best of both worlds. Good discrimination and great depth in the crummy highly mineralized ground. Any suggestions. I am partial to Whites as I have had several over the years and they are excellent detectors. I would really like to stay with an american manufacturer and it would be great to buy made in Oregon. My concern is will the whites dfx go as deep in this hard soil as the minelab or the garrett pulse machine. What do you guys think? Please give me your 2 cents worth as there is a million years of experience out there on this forum between all you great detectorists. Thanks buffaloearl

P

ponylee

Hay how are ya.I used an xlt for 3 yrs, and loved it,the best pinpointing around, but I sold it earlier this year, and bought an explorer2.boy was i shocked at the difference,I have a place i hunt close ta home. it used to be a zoo back in the late 60's. i hunted it for 2 yrs, finding 226 dimes ,187 pennies, and 28 quarters.I thought it was hunted out until i got the explorer. i went there 2 weeks ago 10 yards in, and found 2 silver dimes right off the bat, that the xlt never showed. they were about 11 inches deep, and on their sides. I just couldnt believe the difference in machines. Ive got a lot to learn about my explorer, but I wouldnt have anything else.if whites were to use the 28 freq on the xlt, i would go back. but thats the only way.....

Willy

The DFX won't touch the Infinium for depth in mineralized soil. On the other hand, the Infinium is a VERY busy unit & takes a lot of patience/skill to use. I doubt that he DFX will get any deeper than your present detector. ...Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread