Which Riffles Work Best in the Sluice Box?

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
This may seem like a simple question however, it is not!
Not all gravels are created equal. This is my 4th riffle reconfiguration in this dredge.
The trouble is that I have an abundance of flour gold and an overwhelming amount of pea gravel
and larger magnetite that plugs up nearly all riffles.
The other area this dredge operates in has even finer gold and the most fine black sands I have ever seen.
Keep in mind this is a 5" dredge with a massive amount of water flowing through the box.

What would you put in here? To me, it looks like a few hungarians with expanded metal over moss is the way to go.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best -

OP
OP
W

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
That is a really nice box Reed!
I got a whole bunch of gold hog mat for pretty much free so am doing some testing with it.
From what I have seen with my own testing and other setups, none of the new molded mats are suitable for primary recovery in any dredge larger than 2".

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good way to test your sluice.....Get 20 assorted size lead shot .....Flatten them with a hammer....Place them in your sluice with the material your running....Run the sluice as you normally would for 5-10 minutes....Then pan the material and count the lead shot to see if it has 'Captured' 20...:icon_thumright:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a whole bunch of gold hog mat for pretty much free so am doing some testing with it.
From what I have seen with my own testing and other setups, none of the new molded mats are suitable for primary recovery in any dredge larger than 2".
If you go to 14minutes in the dredge video, it explains the cut angle iron undercurrent system. That by far, works the best because those wing dams can hold all of the fines. I may do that to my 4" this year now that I'm back in a gold mining friendly state.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
When I was still dredging ,I traveled around a LOT to different places / states so I made various riffle sections that spaced the riffles spacing / heights / angle /and different hole dia'.s for my punch plate classifier's . Each state /creek /stream I went to varied a little bit so that's why I made different set up's for different condition's for the stream. It was very convenient to do this at home rather than in a different location. It appears to me that you need to possibly do a couple of things to stop that loading of the riffles. 1) smaller classification screens and then run those cons separately. 2) slow or speed up the water flow to help clear the mat's . Run another sluice box parallel to your current sluice to help slow the water for your finer gold , and to have a place for the smaller screened material to go. I tried to set my sluices up to trap the finer gold (Mid-west fine gold) and IF I ever got a small picker , it would handle by itself ! You have what it's gonna take to get that fine gold ,knowledge/experience /location ! GOOD LUCK ! I wish I could be there with you! BUT....................

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I set mine up like shown in Reeds video with the little wing dams on expanded metal. I run two sizes of expanded metal the bigger at the upper end over deep V ribbed rubber, the lower end has a smaller mesh expanded over unbacked veranda carpet and ribbed rubber.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are gold hog mats for commercial operations.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a friend that started building dredges with that same style screen classification that made a great living on the Bear River below Colfax, above the red ball markers for decades probably 30+ years ago now... His custom dredges were fantastic.

As far as Gold Hog goes, personally... it works, but it doesn't take the place of simple expanded over miners moss. I've ran it for years now and it's easy to clean, but for me, I get better recovery by mixing my box up. I prefer Dream Mat over Gold Hog in smaller boxes like my GoldFox Extreme, but when I have the room... a little gold hog followed by a little Dream Mat up top followed by Miners moss with different grades of expanded the rest of the way down the box works for me. In my over/ under set up, most of the gold drops thru the screen and stops right there in the head of the box with 1/2" expanded over deep V before the water starts speeding up as it travels down the box into the miners moss. The Dream Mat handles faster water great, where the Gold Hog gets scoured out, so I'm always going more aggressive as the water speeds up going down the sluice. That's why I run a bit of Gold Hog up top, then the Dream Mat, then the moss and expanded. The more that you change it up, the better your recovery possibilities.

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
A good way to test your sluice.....Get 20 assorted size lead shot .....Flatten them with a hammer....Place them in your sluice with the material your running....Run the sluice as you normally would for 5-10 minutes....Then pan the material and count the lead shot to see if it has 'Captured' 20...:icon_thumright:
i have use shot for years (i call them Markers). I use number 8 shot, pounded flat and painted in fluorescent orange. I then cut them in 1/2", 1/4" size pieces - the 1/4" ones tell you if you are set up right to find flour gold (200 microns or so) then . I find if I am looking at a ripple tray, in either a wet sluice or a drywasher, i have a good chance to see them while the trays are running. I usully use 3 in a run. Shure tells you right away if your system is setup right. Also, if can see them in thr first few ripples (during or during cleanup) your angle of the tray and water flow in wet sluice is about right. Same idea for a drywasher tray. I have had times while in the field that i think i must be missing somthing as i am finding no colors in a good area useing Markers lets you know its not your equipment.

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
i have use shot for years (i call them Markers). I use number 8 shot, pounded flat and painted in fluorescent orange. I then cut them in 1/2", 1/4" size pieces - the 1/4" ones tell you if you are set up right to find flour gold (200 microns or so) then . I find if I am looking at a ripple tray, in either a wet sluice or a drywasher, i have a good chance to see them while the trays are running. I usully use 3 in a run. Shure tells you right away if your system is setup right. Also, if can see them in thr first few ripples (during or during cleanup) your angle of the tray and water flow in wet sluice is about right. Same idea for a drywasher tray. I have had times while in the field that i think i must be missing somthing as i am finding no colors in a good area useing Markers lets you know its not your equipment. Rick Goodman

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen double screen classifier setup instructions before on a homemade 2" dredge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread