Which unit can detect gold, and it shows red?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw it on Beyond Oak Island. Red, he said, was gold.
haven't watched any oak island shows in quite a while
those guys on that show, they usually swing the CTX 3030 and sometimes a Equinox

Last edited:
OP
OP
detectit

detectit

Jan 24, 2009
There is no machine that tells you for sure it is gold as they work off conductivity and metals like aluminum and lead react the same or extremely similar to gold items.
It showed on his screen red. He said, when they asked what the red was, "That's gold." I believe that little unit cost about 7k.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He might have said "that's gold" but it could just as well have been a pull tab. The technology doesn't exist in any detector, at any price, that can conclusively tell you what's under the soil. They only "see" conductivity.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold shows up red, on the screen.
It showed on his screen red. He said, when they asked what the red was, "That's gold." I believe that little unit cost about 7k.
they were probably using a GPR and even though it showed up in Red as others have stated its a probability it could be something else just as well as gold, I do not know how GPR's work but on some metal detectors have a probability meter on them, I will give an example using the GM 1000 (gold monster) made by mine lab it has a gold chance meter on it that gives you a probability of gold on one side (Non Ferrous targets) and a Iron meter on the other side
(ferrous Targets)

on the non ferrous side it can be gold but it can also be clad coins aluminum such as foil, pull tabs and several other targets that are non ferrous and I do not care that just because it says it is gold the only way to truly know what the target is, is to dig that target up then and only then will you truly ever know what that target is on the probability side of the meter, anyone that tells you differently is blowing smoke up your behind.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He might have said "that's gold" but it could just as well have been a pull tab. The technology doesn't exist in any detector, at any price, that can conclusively tell you what's under the soil. They only "see" conductivity.
The day they build a detector that can tell you exactly what a target actually is is the day every other detector will become obsolete LOL and I will be all in when and if that day comes but so will millions of others LOL

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about X-ray fluoresce (XRF)? The devices can tell the elemental composition of samples by using x-rays. They're not metal detectors though. It's for testing samples you already have.

Edit: I think you mean a Nokta Deephunter 3d. It won't tell you 100% if it's gold but like a metal detector it'll show the conductivity range which is the likelihood of being gold. It's also a GPR and about $4500 USD.

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All junk shows up as gold in the curse of oak island actor’s scripted lines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread