Which would YOU keep?

RonBlack66

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
Pearland, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur 2, White's Surfmaster PI Dual Field, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2, Garrett Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So I have a dilemma. I'd like to sell one of my PI detectors but I'm not sure which one to keep and which one to get rid of. So I'm coming to the experts for advice. Which would you keep and which would you sell? Why?

1) Never been used White's Surfmaster PI Dual Field. I bought this detector new in late 2019/early 2020 with the intent to start using it over the summer of 2020. Then the pandemic hit and the beaches were closed. The only action this detector has seen has been being removed from the White's box and put together. It's never been out of my house.

2) Like new Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2. Traded a CZ-5 for the Sea Hunter. The detector came from a gentleman that bought it for his wife and she didn't like it. No signs of use at all.

I want to get down to "just" 4 metal detectors. My definite keepers are my CTX 3030, Equinox 800, and Excalibur 2. Which leaves me with deciding which PI detector I should keep. The Surfmaster or the Sea Hunter? What's your thoughts?

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were me, I’d use a nice round number for a detector collection at 6, ok maybe 5.
But just 4? Makes no sense.

But if my arm were being twisted, I’d fight them off with the Whites.
It’ll do more damage to my assailant, and the Garrett Sea Hunter, which I’d keep.... would be spared.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RonBlack66

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
Pearland, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur 2, White's Surfmaster PI Dual Field, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2, Garrett Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
LOL. Great reply, Dave. Thanks for that.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
On a side note, I heard Garrett bought Whites out. Word on the street is Garrett is continuing Whites repaired service but future on the brand is unclear. Don't know either detector (my PI is Infinium LS) but I'd probably keep the Sea Hunter just for availability of repair service.

Have you compared the two? Which works better for you? I have a difficult time parting with stuff and would find a reason to keep a spare spare.

OP
OP
R

RonBlack66

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
Pearland, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm actually taking them both to the beach today (Wednesday) to try them out for the first time and see which one I like best, depending on how I react to the 2nd Covid vaccine shot I'm getting this morning. Differences pre-test are 1) the Surfmaster has a noticeably larger coil and 2) the Sea Hunter has features called "standard trash elimination" and "discrete trash elimination". I'd like to test those out and see if they make much of a difference on trashy Galveston beaches. I also want to test the Surfmaster for the supposed buoyancy of the coil. I've heard that this can be annoying but is fixable with some modifications.

Good point regarding possible availability of repairs going forward. Being saltwater detectors, that's certainly something to take into consideration. How do you like your Garrett Infinium LS? I've read really good reviews about them online and have been eyeing one that I found that's still new. Might consider buying it and giving it a try if neither the Surfmaster nor the Sea Hunter work out.

Like you, I too have a hard time getting rid of stuff. I had 8 detectors as of a few months ago, then decided to get an Equinox 800 and an Excalibur 2. I wanted to be as close to financially neutral on the purchases as possible so in order to do so I had/have to sell 6 of the 8 detectors I started with.

1) Minelab CTX 3030 (keeping)
2) White's Spectra V3i (sale pending)
3) White's Surfmaster PI Dual Field (undecided)
4) Fisher CZ-70 Pro (sold)
5) Fisher CZ-5 (traded for the Garrett Sea Hunter Mk 2)
6) Tesoro Sand Shark (sold)
7) Tesoro Tiger Shark (sold)
8) Tesoro Silver uMax (sold)

I'm also an amateur musician so between all the guitars, amps, keyboards, and metal detectors, my hobby room and closet were getting overcrowded. So in order to clear space and get better organized, I sold 5 of my 15 guitars and replaced a huge Marshall amp/4x12 speaker cabinet with a much smaller portable amp. Man, I miss that Marshall stack! But I'm sure my neighbors are relieved that I sold it. (Just kidding. I kept the volume down)

I COULD just turn the spare bedroom into another hobby room but my wife would probably kick me out of the house if I did that. LOL

Last edited:

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RonBlack66,

Welcome to Tnet from Ohio, you have definitely come to the right place to discuss which detector is best because I am quite sure that among all of the forum’s membership that you find someone that has owned or used every detector every made. My thought, with all guitars, amps,keyboards, and detectors stuffed into your hobby room that your wife probably has wondered if you should be featured on the tv show “Hoarders”. Just kidding, definitely would keep the CTX 3030 and the Equinox 800 as I use both and have found them to be excellent detectors. My wife has also wondered if I should be on the show “Hoarders” as I also have numerous toys from all my interests in my hobby room. I look forward to reading about the treasures you find. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

OP
OP
R

RonBlack66

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
Pearland, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks, Walt. Can't wait to try my new Nox. Thought about taking it to the beach today also but I'm afraid I'd just swing that when the purpose on the trip is to decide which PI I want to keep.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got a handful of guys that bought Whites PI Pro'ss because i was killing it behind guys using excals up here that thought they had cleaned spots out
Pi found lot deeper than they could - these guys then bought dual fields next and went back in and got even more - so Id be inclined to keep and try the dual field

OP
OP
R

RonBlack66

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
Pearland, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The weather didn't cooperate but we went to the beach anyhow. Red flags prevented me from getting in the water. Plus, it was cold. Wind howling and pushing waves 30 yards up onto the beach. Being there at high tide certainly didn't help either. Found a few coins and a lot of trash on the beach but after an hour, my family had enough and was ready to go. Never got a chance to swing the Sea Hunter. Looks like I will have to take them both out again in the near future under better conditions and low tide.
In the meantime, I did try air testing them both and the DF appeared to hit targets further from the coil. Then again, an air test doesn't necessarily mean the results will be the same when searching for targets beneath the sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread