While I was searching for Hardaway-Dalton history

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
In these posts, there has been some discussion and debate regarding the relationship (or animosity) between Artifact Hunters and Archeologists. There is no doubt, that there are hurt feelings and distrust.

I’m not looking to whip up emotions. So please reply with good and thoughtful council only. It’s wise to understand both points of view. I’ve heard how awful State Archeologists have treated some of us. I’ve not had that experience.

The attached article illustrates the harm that can be caused by greed and uncaring on Our side of the divide.

These events may have added decades to typological ID and dating, and the tragic loss of invaluable information.

https://ancientnc.web.unc.edu/indian-heritage/by-region/southern-piedmont/hardaway/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
So after all is said and done if we were to learn everything about all the cultures that ever existed on earth or outer space what does it profit us?.....I view Archeology as just a hobby,weather professional, vocational or otherwise, because in the grand scheme of things what we’ve learned hasn’t changed how we function as a society nor will it..We forget all to easily the lessons learned from the past and we as a whole, don’t apply them to the present or future.....I for one would like to know how another million dollars invested in detailed archeological reasearch, helps me or my family personally...I love studying the past present and future, but outside of the Bible it’s just a hobby for me...I recon I’m finished, coulda said more, coulda said less, coulda said it better, coulda said it worse, but I think that’s the crux of the matter..Oh yeah!,Did I mention it’s a fantastic recreational hobby ....IMO

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice NC Article. I live in the foothills, 150 miles west of the Hardaway site and 35 miles south of the Berry site.
In my opinion its a matter of trespassing. If you go on some one else's land without permission it is trespassing. If you go on someone else's land and take something you are stealing. Weather it is hunting, fishing, digging ginseng, taking artifacts or going through an old house without permission, if you don't own the property you are against the law. It is all the same.
Each generation learns from the previous. Every book that is written on the subject, is a teaching tool to anyone that reads it. You don't have to have a degree to learn from books or discussions. With the internet now, and more artifacts being found by hobbyist the knowledge we have at out fingertips is at an all time high.

I live in the foothills region 150 miles west of the hardaway site and 30 miles south of the Berry site in western NC.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back on a Saturday in September 2013, three NC archeologists in cooperation with the Piedmont Archeological Society gained permission to take a few interested (75-100) folks to The Hardaway Site during a "Badin Day" celebration. The Hardaway Site is located in Badin, NC. I was lucky to be one of those who made it to the site. It is completely off limits otherwise. Located on a high bluff above the Yadkin River at a "choke point", it was probably a great kill site in addition to being located in the Uwharrie Mountains where almost all of the rhyolite used in NC was quarried. Was a thrill to stand where people lived and worked quite a few 1000 years ago. Since that time, I've corresponded with one of the archeologists numerous times with questions and even invited him (and others) to a site on my property. He always answers me kindly.

I still have a few plowed fields that I have permission to hunt. As stated above...............Always get permission! I have no desire to be "cussed out", shot at, or arrested!

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Great read.

Yeah. I found it thought-provoking and well written. It spoke first about early years when collectors and archeologists collaborated on this particular site. This reminded me of the many Massachusetts Archeological Bulletins that I’ve read. It’s clear that there was a real dependence and appreciation on both sides.

Today we stand on the shoulders of people (amateurs, avocational and professionals) who worked extremely hard to leave us a clear and precise bank of information. They really cared enough to leave the next generation a treasure trove of facts and information.

It reminded me, that everything I know is based on what someone else discovered.

Clearly, the chaos ensued after the location of the site was published.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after all is said and done if we were to learn everything about all the cultures that ever existed on earth or outer space what does it profit us?.....I view Archeology as just a hobby,weather professional, vocational or otherwise, because in the grand scheme of things what we’ve learned hasn’t changed how we function as a society nor will it..We forget all to easily the lessons learned from the past and we as a whole, don’t apply them to the present or future.....I for one would like to know how another million dollars invested in detailed archeological reasearch, helps me or my family personally...I love studying the past present and future, but outside of the Bible it’s just a hobby for me...I recon I’m finished, coulda said more, coulda said less, coulda said it better, coulda said it worse, but I think that’s the crux of the matter..Oh yeah!,Did I mention it’s a fantastic recreational hobby ....IMO

I agree. Professional or otherwise, in a time span of eternity it really doesn't matter a lot. Interesting, yes, worth getting into fights over, no.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread