New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20220824_170328.jpg

Polish_20220824_215143151.jpg

Milk bottles are: Willow Brook Dairy, C. J. Fayen, and The Keystone Dairy Co.

Polish_20220824_215035058.jpg

Bottles are: Teem, Bireley's, A. Hüpfel's Son's, and John Eichler.

Jug in situ:
20220824_214745.jpg

20220824_215342.jpg

A. Hüpfel's Son's in situ:
20220824_221040.jpg

20220824_215419.jpg

Upvote 31

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful bottle finds, the Willow Brook Dairy milk bottle is gorgeous! :thumbsup:
It amazes me how 'clean' they look too, it must be due to the lack of oxygen from being buried in the mud that helped preserve them.
Dave

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extremely nice fine thanks for sharing

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle dump at low tide? go back, you are not done!
Unfortunately this wasn't a bottle dump. These artifacts were all excavated over a very large area over a period of nearly 6 hours. For example, the A. Hüpfel's Son's bottle was found directly in front of the remains of several old wooden pilings. My grandpa, who lived in the area as a child, told me people once fished here. So likely around the year 1890, a fisherman was on the pier and dropped the bottle into the water. And it remained there for 130 years. This is a photo of the bottle in situ in relation to the location of the old pilings:
Polish_20220915_121644301.jpg

A sure fire way to find old bottles (and other artifacts) is to find old pilings first and then explore around them. Every artifact you find there you can safely say was dropped by the person who last used the product. I find these artifacts more interesting and more insightful than "dump bottles", and I label them acordingly in my collection.

I do know of two very large old landfills that I dig on occasion. One capped in 1924, the other capped in 1913. I determined these dates through the latest dated artifacts I could find (coins, the remains of newspapers, and the lack of or presence of industrial chemicals such as gassoline. If you see an oily rainbow film in your landfill you know you are later in the 20th century, the cleaner the landfill the older as they didn't have as easy access to gasoline to burn the trash with yet).

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately this wasn't a bottle dump. These artifacts were all excavated over a very large area over a period of nearly 6 hours. For example, the A. Hüpfel's Son's bottle was found directly in front of the remains of several old wooden pilings. My grandpa, who lived in the area as a child, told me people once fished here. So likely around the year 1890, a fisherman was on the pier and dropped the bottle into the water. And it remained there for 130 years. This is a photo of the bottle in situ in relation to the location of the old pilings:
A sure fire way to find old bottles (and other artifacts) is to find old pilings first and then explore around them. Every artifact you find there you can safely say was dropped by the person who last used the product. I find these artifacts more interesting and more insightful than "dump bottles", and I label them acordingly in my collection.

I do know of two very large old landfills that I dig on occasion. One capped in 1924, the other capped in 1913. I determined these dates through the latest dated artifacts I could find (coins, the remains of newspapers, and the lack of or presence of industrial chemicals such as gassoline. If you see an oily rainbow film in your landfill you know you are later in the 20th century, the cleaner the landfill the older as they didn't have as easy access to gasoline to burn the trash with yet).
Great information, thank you for the follow up post sir. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions