white clad simmons hardware cupboard

Kristin Leaf

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
age of my White Clad Simmons Hardware Co. (St. Louis, MO U.S.A.) Cupboard?? Help!

Pic 1.jpg

I got this today off craigslist & can't find anything like it online! It is not lined w/ tin like the popular ice boxes by White Clad Simmons Hardware Co., St. Louis, MO, U.S.A. Instead it has a single shelf, a drawer (w/ a middle separator), a pull out cutting board, & double doors.

Anyone know how to date or value this item?

Any insight or clues would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Upvote 7

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not but I've seen this thing before. There's an identical one where my dad works, they use it to hold the napkins and cups inside and on top they have a microwave and coffee pot. I pointed out to them a few times that whatever this thing is it is very old and probably worth something. Apparently they found it in the garbage of a neighboring business. They don't know what it was for either but that hasn't stopped them from making use of it. Only difference between theirs and yours is they painted theirs white.

OP
OP
K

Kristin Leaf

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your response, UnderMiner! That's cool to hear :) I was starting to wonder if someone added the side towel bar after-market because I couldn't find one anywhere exactly like it online.

I'm surprised by the auction prices I've seen for the Simmons Hardware Co. (White Clad & others) ice boxes! Impressive amounts.

Not seeing these exact Simmons Hardware cabinets online at all, anywhere, makes me think they're more rare than the ice boxes, and possibly more valuable -- or simply less sought after, and then perhaps less valuable. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet but I'll keep looking & asking around and if I ever find an estimated age/value range, I'll let you know!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kristin Leaf

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess Simmons Hardware Co. was in business from about 1874-1940 when Shapleigh bought all of Simmons' assets after Simmons' 1939 bankruptcy. The trademarked Simmons line continued to be marketed by Shapleigh until its closing in the 1960s. (http://dator8.info/2010/90.pdf) However, a separate online resource indicated that after Shapleigh took over in 1940, they changed at least the Keen Kutter logo from "E.C. Simmons" to "Shapleigh". I have no idea if they also changed the other Simmons logos.

But I've found nothing further to help with dating of the White Clad Simmons Hardware Co. logo or furniture. Several extensive Simmons catalogues were published between 1900-1910 -- so if I ever found one of those it'd be worth a look. (The 1909 Simmons Hardware catalog was over 5000 pages!) I wonder where I'd find one of those...

Klippencott

Nov 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Months ago I found that exact same cabinet that was put out as trash, and I thought it looked cool, so I took it home. I'm upset I haven't been taking really good care of it, because I just decided to Google the logo and realized this could be worth some money. Has anyone seen this cabinet, with the cutting board, for sale anywhere? Im wondering how much it would be worth. Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• 1511622503819233125794.jpg
    1511622503819233125794.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 459
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kristin Leaf

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Klippencott! I'm still following this thread. I received an online estimate of its age from an antiques appraiser, but I can't seem to locate that message right now. I'll look further soon (after work) and get back to you. For the life of me I can't recall what it said. It's old and getting older certainly! Hang on to it. I'll get back to you later.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Months ago I found that exact same cabinet that was put out as trash, and I thought it looked cool, so I took it home. I'm upset I haven't been taking really good care of it, because I just decided to Google the logo and realized this could be worth some money. Has anyone seen this cabinet, with the cutting board, for sale anywhere? Im wondering how much it would be worth. Thanks in advance !
Just wanted to say Hi Jack

Mh504

Jun 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this too And I’m looking to sell it anyone have any info on it? Impossible to find anything on it. Thanks!

socal_nana

Oct 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
age of my White Clad Simmons Hardware Co. (St. Louis, MO U.S.A.) Cupboard?? Help!

View attachment 1037855

I got this today off craigslist & can't find anything like it online! It is not lined w/ tin like the popular ice boxes by White Clad Simmons Hardware Co., St. Louis, MO, U.S.A. Instead it has a single shelf, a drawer (w/ a middle separator), a pull out cutting board, & double doors.

Hi Kristin, Did you happen to find anything on this piece? I have one and the same, I cannot find anything on it- I upcycled mine and now am looking to sell it- It is such a nice piece of furniture, and HEAVY!!!

Attachments

• Kitchen Cupboard 1.gif
    Kitchen Cupboard 1.gif
    258 KB · Views: 21
  • Kitchen cupboard.gif
    Kitchen cupboard.gif
    36.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Kitchen Cupboard2.jpeg
    Kitchen Cupboard2.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1037855

Don’t know, but nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread