yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I wonder if they were found in Virginia... because they look a lot like a couple I found there myself! Well done-- cheers!

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just told that the first point is most likely a Piscataway (not Morrow Mountain). This was mainly based on the material used. Apparently, MM points are not made with quartz - quartzite, yes. I had never really thought about the material used vis-a-vis identification.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have got some like the top point, not exactly that style but the type of stone is identical. It is amazing how pure and clean they can remain after being in the dirt for so long. I will have to get mine together, photograph them and put them in an album. Nice finds on both.

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have got some like the top point, not exactly that style but the type of stone is identical. It is amazing how pure and clean they can remain after being in the dirt for so long. I will have to get mine together, photograph them and put them in an album. Nice finds on both.

I think that about 1/3 of what I find is white quartz. They are either common here...or my old eyes can see them better.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some well made points out of a nice quality of quartz

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just told that the first point is most likely a Piscataway (not Morrow Mountain). This was mainly based on the material used. Apparently, MM points are not made with quartz - quartzite, yes. I had never really thought about the material used vis-a-vis identification.

Here is a Morrow mountain I do not know what quartz it is? I usually only find quartz here in the gold belt or up on the Cumberland plateau. So any quartz point makes my day and you found two nice ones. Actually have two Morrow mountains out of some type of quart but that style of point is pretty common here.
Congratulations.

IMG_6444.JPG

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful points! Thanks for sharing them!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I wouldn't bet the bank on that.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to try to understand things I don't know about and the was wondering exactly what the difference in quartz and quartzite is. I found this on the geology . com website. I have put the link on here but have copied a portion of the description from the article below. I'll get some of mine photoed this weekend and try to get them on here next week.

https://geology.com/rocks/quartzite.shtml
How the Name "Quartzite" Is Used

Geologists have used the name "quartzite" in a few different ways, each with a slightly different meaning. Today most geologists who use the word "quartzite" are referring to rocks that they believe are metamorphic and composed almost entirely of quartz.

A few geologists use the word "quartzite" for sedimentary rocks that have an exceptionally high quartz content. This usage is falling out of favor but remains in older textbooks and other older publications. The name "quartz arenite" is a more appropriate and less confusing name for these rocks.

It is often difficult or impossible to differentiate quartz arenite from quartzite. The transition of sandstone into quartzite is a gradual process. A single rock unit such as the Tuscarora Sandstone might fully fit the definition of quartzite in some parts of its extent and be better called "sandstone" in other areas. Between these areas, the names "quartzite" and "sandstone" are used inconsistently and often guided by habit. It is often called "quartzite" when rock units above and below it are clearly sedimentary. This contributes to the inconsistency in the ways that geologists use the word "quartzite."

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My understanding is that quartz is more fine grained than quartzite, which is more coarse grained like sugar.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread