White whale found

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MD'd along a modern bike trail between a large wash and the modern Interstate. Found the silver quarter next to a mesquite root buried about 3". (Weight 6.7g so it's a fat one; one can barely make out the "4" in the third position). Surprised other detectorists hadn't found this one. In 9 years of detecting this is only the 4th Washington Silver I've found. So I consider it my white whale. I'd be interested in hearing others successes/lack of success in finding silver Washingtons.

Before going out, I'd looked at a 1950s map of Tucson and knew the old main road leaving NW Tucson wasn't that far from the large wash(The present day Interstate build I'm sure wiped out a lot of the old artifacts/coins...but my thinking is there must still be some things out there that didn't get disturbed). So I contintue to think back in the day, people get out of their cars to rest, picnic, go to the bathroom, party etc. I even read back in the day they would have Church services outside under the shade of trees!

Also, found arcade token, car wash token, 3 dimes, and, of course, the ubiquitous Lincoln memorials and shields.
Happy hunting now that the weather is getting sunnier.

Attachments

• IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    789.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    762.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    778.2 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 21

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'd along a modern bike trail between a large wash and the modern Interstate. Found the silver quarter next to a mesquite root buried about 3". (Weight 6.7g so it's a fat one; one can barely make out the "4" in the third position). Surprised other detectorists hadn't found this one. In 9 years of detecting this is only the 4th Washington Silver I've found. So I consider it my white whale. I'd be interested in hearing others successes/lack of success in finding silver Washingtons.

Before going out, I'd looked at a 1950s map of Tucson and knew the old main road leaving NW Tucson wasn't that far from the large wash(The present day Interstate build I'm sure wiped out a lot of the old artifacts/coins...but my thinking is there must still be some things out there that didn't get disturbed). So I contintue to think back in the day, people get out of their cars to rest, picnic, go to the bathroom, party etc. I even read back in the day they would have Church services outside under the shade of trees!

Also, found arcade token, car wash token, 3 dimes, and, of course, the ubiquitous Lincoln memorials and shields.
Happy hunting now that the weather is getting sunnier.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions