Whites DFX/V3I 6x10dd coil repair

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anybody know if search coils can be repaired. This coil has been used alot, but never been in water or took any hits. I believe it to be a wiring issue. It just stopped working after switching coils 1 day. Does any1 know where I could locate a wiring schematic to test the coil & wiring? Thanks for any help. Also greatly appreciated! This particular coil is for a whites DFX or a Whites V3i

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anybody know if search coils can be repaired. This coil has been used alot, but never been in water or took any hits. I believe it to be a wiring issue. It just stopped working after switching coils 1 day. Does any1 know where I could locate a wiring schematic to test the coil & wiring? Thanks for any help. Also greatly appreciated! This particular coil is for a whites DFX or a Whites V3i
Pins 1&2 are recieve coil, pins 4&5 are feedback coil, pin 3 is the sheild cable to control box. I ohm'ed out 1&2 it's got continuity should be ok. 4&5has continuity=ok. Pin 3 which is shield is open/no continuity to the bulkhead connector at search coil. So that should be the problem I believe. Only thing I havent checked is impedance. Any1 know what's the easiest way to get at the wiring, I think or imagine its broke down by the coil.
20220701_222757.jpg

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Pins 1&2 are recieve coil, pins 4&5 are feedback coil, pin 3 is the sheild cable to control box. I ohm'ed out 1&2 it's got continuity should be ok. 4&5has continuity=ok. Pin 3 which is shield is open/no continuity to the bulkhead connector at search coil. So that should be the problem I believe. Only thing I havent checked is impedance. Any1 know what's the easiest way to get at the wiring, I think or imagine its broke down by the coil. View attachment 2034766
My past failures with Whites brand coils have been at the bulk head connection.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My past failures with Whites brand coils have been at the bulk head connection.
How the he77 do you get it apart. I took the screw out of coil bulkhead, but it seems wires are too short to pull the center of the bulkhead out of the bulkhead body. I dont have the cash right now or I'd just throw this whites coil away & buy the Detech 8x6 coil. But I do like using the whites 6x10dd coil so I figured I'd repair it for now, or at least try. Thanks kind fellow.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
How the he77 do you get it apart. I took the screw out of coil bulkhead, but it seems wires are too short to pull the center of the bulkhead out of the bulkhead body. I dont have the cash right now or I'd just throw this whites coil away & buy the Detech 8x6 coil. But I do like using the whites 6x10dd coil so I figured I'd repair it for now, or at least try. Thanks kind fellow.
If you do discard the whites coil, save the connector end. I do condone buying the 8x6 SEF. Life is too short ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread