Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: White's Eagle II sl worth?

It is not the latest and greatest with all bells and whistles. Extremely reliable, I used it for 5 years dug tons of stuff. You have a lot of bargaining room. 100 to 200. You could even send it in and have whites in oregon do a complete tune up and check on it .... they are very nice to work with. I would recommend it as a great back up or as a moderate upgrade or as a great way to get started....don't forget the headphones...

B

Brush Creek

There is no better detector than the Eagle 2 SL. It is all I will ever use. I owned a XLT and have used the DFX.
My detector is and will always be the best detector ever made by White's the Eagle 2 SL.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For starters, be aware that ANY slim line detector uses the four 'C' cell battery pack. This means the control box is bigger and heavier than newer model detectors. Also, the amount of available processor power is quite limited. For just 100 or 200 more, you can get a used Spectrum XLT that incorporates two generations of technological improvements. However, if you feel committed to this detector, I'd simply take a look at some of the auctions on ebay to see what eagles are going for, then deduct 100 bucks to get closer to a more realistic value.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That was very interesting that brush creek used the XLT and the DFX but prefers the XLT. Could you talk more about this. I went from XLT to the DFX...now I am curious.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

the biggest difference between the two is the frequency's.
the XLT runs at 6.5 kz, while the DFX runs at 3 kz or 15 kz or both at the same time

Sniffer

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good point, I had forgotten about the frequency...I did love my Eagle ...have found the pinpointing on the Whites is right on for both models.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have both the DFX, and the Silver Eagle, and swear by both. Eagle is a lot heavier, and you do feel the difference, but for $100-200, it would be a great deal. Send it in to Whites, and if they say that all it needs is a tune-up, I'd say go for it. hardly any learning curve, (compared to the DFX), and nothing will beat building up some crazy arm strength!

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500

I have an Eagle II SL, A DFX-300, A GMT, A Fisher CZ-20, A Tesoro LST, A Tesoro Compadre, and a Minelab GP3500. All have special uses, but 99% of the time when searching parks, schools, or on the beach (dry sand) I use my Eagle II SL. Yeah, it's heavier than most of my other machines (except the GP3500), but it still out performs the others. Pinpoints extremely well!

I bought the Eagle II SL in 1992 --- $900 out the door, then put a Jimmy Sierra "Goldfoot" search coil on it (another $230). ---- That was 17 years ago, but even today I'd pay $400 - $500 if I needed another Eagle II SL.

Hope this helps.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You nailed it .... it does pinpoint very well indeed.

B.A.

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
xlt / eagle II sl /surfmaster pi plus / coinmaster

I use both the xlt and eagle II .Last year I sent the xlt back to Whites and they did a great job and it seems to be a hotter machine now.The EagleII sat for so long it would not run so it just left for for Oregon too.I'll post the results when I get it back.The folks there were great to deal with and turn around time was QUICK!Both of these were used in the tropics on salt water beaches and have been splashed a few times but the Eagle II took fifteen years to malfunction and I think that says something.I also have a surfmaster II PI and it has never failed in 15 yrs. always in salt water......

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

I just bought an Eagle II SL from fellow forum member for $300 cause I know it's a very dependable and stable machine. I also own an MXT but have always had a "thing" for the Eagle II SL. Took it out a couple of times and it's an absolute coin magnet. went behind my buddy, who was using my MXT, and still cleaned up his passed up stuff. I just found my old Eagle up in Winter Springs, Fl and I'm going to buy it back this Thursday and it's just the blue box Eagle that was re-chipped. Love em!

UPDATE: I was wrong about it being a blue box Eagle. It was a black box Eagle II SL with the upgrade chip that I just bought back today. It has the U1 & U2 setings. Anyway I'm glad it found it's way back home and now I have two Eagle SL's and an MXT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread